Whole-Grain Pancake Mix: homemade goodness

These whole-grain pancakes are the best I’ve ever made. I have a container of the dry mix in my fridge at all times, ready for me whenever I get a hankering for some breakfast food. The oats give the pancakes a bit of texture, which makes them a joy to eat – I like when my food has more than one note to it.

But do you really want to know why I think it’s the best? Because I know exactly what’s in this whole-grain pancake mix – after all, I made it with my own two hands!

Susan Reid, writer and food editor for SIFT magazine, and Susan Miller, director of our Baking Education Center, created this mix back when they were writing the King Arthur Flour Whole-Grain Baking Book, and it’s been in our refrigerators ever since!

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

In case you’re looking for more reasons to run to the kitchen and buzz it up, I’ve included some. Can you think of any others?

1) Pancakes are the ultimate breakfast-for-dinner food.

You come home late (gym, grocery shopping, happy hour!) and you don’t have time to prepare a lavish meal. With the mix already made, it’s just a matter of scoop, pour, and mix – and dinner is on its way!

2) Whole-grains = basically an obligation to eat more pancakes.

Because healthy is the ultimate excuse.

3) You can add fruit to them.

Balanced breakfast, anyone? A partial list of combinations that have made successful appearances so far: peach, raspberry, banana-walnut, cheddar-apple, blueberry, and cranberry-apricot. Feel free to add about 2/3 cup mix-ins to your batter.

Just remember, adding frozen fruit may tint your pancakes a strange color! It’s better to scatter frozen fruit atop the cooking pancakes, instead of mixing it in.

4) Breakfast for days!

10 days, to be exact. This recipe makes about 10 cups of pancake mix, with each batch of pancakes using 1 cup of mix. You and yours will be happily fed for many, many mornings. So exciting!

5) Put a little more love into Sunday morning breakfast.

Homemade pancakes just taste better. Did I mention how EASY it is to make this mix? Let me show you!

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Grind 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned or rolled oats in a food processor until they’re chopped fine, but not a powder.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Put 4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons baking powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon baking soda into a mixer with a paddle. Whisk together until well blended.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Mix on slow speed, and drizzle 1 cup of vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. It’ll resemble damp sand. You should be able to squeeze a handful and it’ll roughly stick together.

That’s it. As easy as I told you, right?

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Store your pancake mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature, or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer. It’ll be your new best breakfast friend – always there when you need it.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

When you’re ready for pancakes, whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup of buttermilk (or a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk; or 3/4 cup liquid whey), and 1 large egg. Don’t worry if it seems thin at first: the oats will soak up the milk, and the mix will thicken a bit as it stands.

If you have a picky eater on your hands who won’t touch whole grains, add 1 tablespoon orange juice to the dry mix along with the buttermilk. We’ve found that the acidity and sweetness of the orange juice helps mellow the tannic taste some people perceive in whole wheat flour; while the pancakes won’t have any orange flavor, they may taste slightly milder to you, if you’re not a fan of whole wheat (but still want to get more whole grains into your diet).How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Let the batter stand for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Heat a lightly greased griddle to 350°F (if you’ve got a griddle with a temperature setting; if not, medium-hot will do). Drop the batter onto it in 1/4-cupfuls (a jumbo cookie scoop works well here) to make a 4″ diameter pancake.

When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface without breaking (after about 2 minutes, if your griddle is the correct temperature), turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side, which will take about 2 minutes. Serve pancakes immediately, or stack and hold in a warm oven.

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – make sure your plate is filled with something whole-grain AND delicious!

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix.

Print just the recipe.

Gwen Adams

Gwen Adams grew up in northern New Hampshire, on top of a mountain, surrounded by nature and not much else. After graduating from Lyndon State College in 2010, Gwen sought a career that combined her passion for writing with her love of baking. She found ...

comments

1. Vivian

That stack looks LOVELY. I’m afraid I’d eat the whole stack…. But I guess I have to share. I love homemade mixes to make life easier, and especially if they not only make life EASIER but also TASTIER and HEALTHIER. Thank you!!!

2. Tiara

I love this recipe. Have made it multiple times and have it in the freezer all the times. I can’t have dairy but make my own “sour” milk with lemon juice and soymilk. I do like my pancakes to be a little thicker than norm and have adjusted by doubling the mix to the liquid ratio. A quick question – do you think I can make it the night before and then use it in the morning?

1. PJ Hamel

I don’t see why not. Sometimes you might worry about the leavener losing its oomph overnight, but since they use double-acting baking powder (rather than baking soda), they’ll get a nice burst of leavening power once the batter hits the griddle. Enjoy – PJH

3. Jeannette Ugorji

Don’t let this one get away! A truly outstanding recipe that leaves me speechless, but still wanting more of these pancakes. Reminiscent of the oatcakes eaten in in Scotland– I believe called Bannocks. I would continue with this comment, but just spied the remaining 2 pancakes on the kitchen table. Cheers,

4. VIctoria

I LOVE pancakes and these are hands down the best I have ever eaten. While they are very different from traditional pancakes, they have a great flavour and are delicious as either a sweet or savoury meal. We actually love toasting the leftovers and eating them without any topping at all. This is definitely a go-to recipe!!

5. Steven C Karoly

Do you have a tester recipe that’s based on weight measurements, not volume? I’d like to try is in an institutional setting.

We are happy to hear you are eager to make lots and LOTS of these whole grain breakfast treats. To view the recipe by weight, use the link to the full recipe on our website and then click either “ounces” or “grams” underneath the ingredients header. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

6. Mary Douglas

These pancakes sound delicious! I’d like to try the recipe but don’t have a food processor. Could I use a blender to grind the oats?

1. Susan Reid

Sure, Mary, just pulse until they’re rough chopped. You may have to go in a couple of batches, but it should work. Susan

1. Gwen Adams, post author

While we have never tested this mix for anything other than pancakes, it DOES have a very similar ingredient list to a normal baking mix. I’d say, give it a try. Please let us know how it turns out! -Gwen

7. Laura

I love this mix as is but I’d like to try using some almond flour, I’m wondering which flour I should decrease to make room for the almond flour. I’m thinking some of the white wheat but want some advise.

Thank you.

Laura, you can replace 1/4 of the flour used in this recipe with almond flour. Bryanna@KAF

Shirley, you can reduce the oil to 3/4 of a cup of you want to limit the amount of fat in this recipe, but I wouldn’t recommend going lower than that. Barb@KAF

8. Joyce Firmin

The supermarkets that I go to don’t seem to have white wheat flour any more. What substitution could I make? I’m anxious to make these because to the time saved!
    Joyce

You could use whole wheat flour in place of the white whole wheat. The pancakes will be slightly darker in color but delicious, and may need slightly more liquid than the recipes suggest. Only a test bake will provide the final answer! Happy Baking! Irene@KAF

9. Alojamiento web

Five-grain pancake mix makes delightfully light pancakes. Wheat, rye, oats, flax, corn–plus wonderful flavor, and light texture! Comes in a 1-pound bag. Yields twenty 4″ pancakes.

10. Heather

Question: I am out of AP flour and would like to sub self-rising. I read the post regarding this and think I know how much BP to add (8 tsp) but am unclear on how much salt. My takeaway was 1 cup self-rising = .5 to 1 tsp BP and .25 tsp salt but I’m not sure I’m correct. Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Answer: You’re takeaway looks right on, Heather! Since you’ll be using 1 cup of self-rising in place of 1 cup of AP, just subtract 1 tsp baking powder (and 1/4 tsp) from the total amount called for in the recipe – resulting in this case in 8 tsp bp (and 2.75 tsp salt), just what you thought. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

11. Sandi

Love love love this pancake recipe!
    But have a question: just received my order of buttermilk powder from KAF but is the 1/4 cup added when making the mix OR to each individual batch???
    Being only two of us we enjoy one day…put leftovers in frig and enjoy AGAIN in the next day or two. Just as good the second time around!!!
    Thanks for a great recipe😘

Hi Sandi,
      If you’d like to use your buttermilk powder to make these tasty whole-grain pancakes, whisk 1/4 cup of the buttermilk powder into 1 cup of the dry mix and then add 1 cup of water and 1 egg for each batch. Voila, buttermilk whole grain pancakes! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

1. Susan Reid

All of the dry ingredients go into the mixing bowl together: flour, oats, etc. Then the oil. Mix, then done! Susan

12. Linda

Could I use steel cut oats in place of the old fashioned or rolled oats? Also, I would make this vegan with a flax egg and a tsp. of apple cider vinegar added to 1 cup of almond cashew milk.

1. Susan Reid

Linda, if all you have are steel cut oats, I recommend pulsing them in a food processor before making the mix. There’s no way they’ll soften up enough to be palatable before you cook the pancakes; if you let the batter sit long enough, the leavener will be gone. Susan

13. Anna

I would love to make this recipe but I don’t have a large mixer (like is pictured in the photos). Can I still make these with other kitchen tools or even without?

14. Celeia

Did you say this mix will only keep 10 days in the fridge? Also, do you have the nutrition facts for this recipe? My husband is diabetic. I’m wondering how many carbs are in each pancake. We both love pancakes. I’m really hoping this recipe will work for us.

1. Susan Reid

The holding power of the mix depends on the freshness of the oil and the oats. If left too warm for too long, the oils in the the oats (they are a whole grain) and the vegetable oil can go rancid. Since the batch is pretty big, best to freeze some for backup and hold the rest in your frige as you use it. Susan

2. Al F.

Hi Celeia,
      This recipe is said to yield 10 cups of mix. However, each cup of mix requires 1 egg and 1c buttermilk. I’ve imported the recipe to my mastercook software (and added 10c buttermilk and 10 eggs in order to tabulate the nutrition data for the WHOLE thing). I then shrunk the recipe from 10 servings down to 1 (1 cup mix, 1 egg, 1 cup buttermilk). My software calculated the following results, based on 1 cup of mix, prepared (sorry that I couldn’t calculate it down to the individual pancake):

Per Cup of Mix, Prepared: 698 Calories; 30g Fat (38.0% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 221mg Cholesterol; 1804mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Non-Fat Milk; 5 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

MasterCook assumes an average ‘whole’ size of this ingredient.

I hope that’s helpful. If you prepare the mix, you can figure out how many pancakes it makes based on your portion size and the dietary data above.

Hi Al,
      We actually do have the full nutrition information per pancake available. You can view this information by clicking on the recipe link and looking for “Nutritional information” in the At a Glance box on the right hand side of the page.
      Here it is for your convenience:
      Serving Size 1 pancake (56g) Servings Per Batch 8
      Total Carbohydrate 12g
      Dietary Fiber 3g
      Sugars 3g
      Protein 4g

I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

15. Susan

This sounds wonderful but I don’t have a mixer. Can I use my Vitamix or do that step by hand? Also, I would be using regular whole wheat, not white.

Thank you.

1. Susan Reid

No reason not to use any whole wheat you like!The vitamix could grind the oats, no problem. Not sure how it handles large amounts of dry ingredients. If you have a hand mixer, I would recommend trying that. Otherwise, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, and leaveners together very well by hand or through a strainer, then stir in the oats. It would be difficult to get the oil evenly distributed without some power tool assistance. Susan

16. Linda

Now This is pancakes! Thin, tasty and wholesome! All my other “prepared” mixes from the grocery shelves pale in comparison. I didn’t have a full cup of buttermilk so added 1/2 buttermilk and 1/2 1% and it was still delicious. I would add some Flax and Chia seeds next just to incorporate more healthy grains! thanks

We’re glad to hear you like this pancake mix, Linda! If you’re looking for another pancake recipe that’s full of deliciousness and protein, you might want to try our Quinoa Pancake recipe too! Kye@KAF

17. Kathy deGaaf

This recipe looks WONDERFUL and I can’t wait to try it! But I think you left out the part where the oats go into the mixer with the other dry ingredients. The way it currently reads, the oats are ground but never added to the recipe. (And I couldn’t tell from the photo of the ingredients either — looks like one of them is missing from the picture?) Thanks!

Hi Kathy,
      We’re glad to hear you’re just as excited about whole grain pancakes as we are! The first step is to grind in oats in a food processor until they’re chopped finely, but not a powder. That oat mixture then goes into the bowl of a stand mixer and is combined with the other dry ingredients (or you can mix by hand if you don’t have a mixer). The whole list of dry ingredients can be found using the recipe link. I hope that helps clarify. Kye@KAF

Hi Barbara,
      The full nutritional information is available if you click on the recipe link and then look for “Nutrition Information” in the At a Glance box on the right hand side of the page. There are 12 grams of carbohydrates per 1 medium-large pancake. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

18. Gwen

Is it possible to add the buttermilk powder to the whole mix rather than just before making the pancakes? So that when ready to cook all you would have to add to each batch would be 1 cup of water and 1 egg?

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Gwen. Many, many people have tried this and been unhappy with the results. The mix just doesn’t taste or work as well- the buttermilk powder doesn’t reconstitute. If you don’t want to work with liquid buttermilk, yogurt mixed with some milk is an ok substitute, but also not as good. I recommend freezing excess buttermilk in an ice cube tray (each well is about 2 ounces). That way you don’t waste any and can thaw just what you need when it’s pancake time. The thawed buttermilk will look curdled, but it works fine and tastes good. Susan

Connie, you can substitute rehydrated flax meal as an egg replacement (more on this here: http://bit.ly/2cJI3pH) or crack an egg, whisk it up, and only use half (a scale can help here) — use the other half for the world’s smallest side of scrambled eggs…or add it to another egg or two for a more regular portion. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

19. D. Smith

I would never use “vegetable” oil (what kind do you *baker’s* at King Arthur Flour use?) and I certainly wouldn’t add it to the dry ingredients until I was ready to make the pancakes. I would switch out the oil for melted butter and add it at the same time I add the buttermilk, etc. That way you just have the dry powder and can store it much easier.

** The only oils I use anymore are coconut, red palm, avocado oil and walnut oil. That’s it. I don’t think any of those would taste good with pancakes or muffins (coconut might be ok if it was melted first but it has a funky consistency until it’s melted) so butter would be a better option. I never buy “oils” at the grocery store and I wouldn’t buy canola oil ever – eww. I don’t trust most olive oils anymore either because most of them are rancid at the time of purchase. You can smell the rancidity when you take the top off the bottle sometimes.

Just my 2 cents. ; )

1. Susan Reid

We use a blend of soy and canola oils in the test kitchen, but at home I confess to a preference for safflower or sunflower oil. They’re more neutral in flavor.
      The enemy of oil as far as rancidity is air; it’s better to buy a smaller bottle that will be used more quickly before it can go off.
      If you want to leave the oil out of the mix, by all means do so, and add melted butter at the time you mix up the batter. For a single batch 2 to 3 tablespoons is about right. If you want to use the mix for waffles (which works well, also), up the butter to 4 tablespoons.
      Walnut oil might make interesting pancakes with a dash of cinnamon in them, but I agree with you about the rest of your favorites not really being the thing for breakfast 🙂 Susan

20. Anne

I’ve been making this recipe since I first saw it in the Whole Grain Baking book. It’s a favorite of my grandchildren who often request pancakes when they spend the night. Boxed pancake mixes cannot compare to these fluffy gems.

21. Jaelle

Could I use whole wheat pastry flour in place of the whole wheat flour? If so, would I decrease (or eliminate) the baking powder and soda? Thank you!

1. PJ Hamel

Jaelle, yes, you can certainly do that. No need to amend the leavening, but you might want to decrease the liquid a bit when you make pancakes, as ww pastry flour absorbs less liquid than regular whole wheat flour. Good luck — PJH

22. Teri

I would really appreciate on a recipe site if the recipe was written in a tradiational was rather than having to read an entire article to try and find the bits of it. It’s just not worth it to spend an hour for one recipe! Be efficient and handy for the home cooks!

We suspect that it’s possible, but we haven’t tried this ourselves, so it would be a bit of an experiment. Try mixing up 1 cup of the mix, as described in the recipe, and adding 1-2 Tbsp of additional brown sugar (per batch). For truly high-rising muffins, you may also need to add some additional leavening and/or more sugar. So we’d suggest baking off one muffin, and if it seems to need more leavening or sugar, add more to your batter before baking the rest (or another test muffin if you’re feeling especially experimental). Be sure to let us know how it goes if you give it a try! Mollie@KAF

23. Sail

Ok, this sounds silly… I’ve been making your awesome pancake mix since long. But today, in hurry, I’ve put 3 tbsp of baking soda instead of baking powder. So I skipped adding baking powder all together. Will that make any difference health wise, taste wise or texture wise? I didn’t add oil yet. Waiting for your reply.

1. Susan Reid

We totally understand how you could end up there. Baking soda is a lot more powerful by volume than baking powder (3 times). Health wise there’s nothing to worry about. Taste wise, you will have baking soda that doesn’t react, and the pancakes will taste bitter and/or soapy. The texture is likely to be about the same. If I were in your position I would consider making 2 more rounds of the dry ingredients, mixing in what you have, adding the baking powder that’s missing, and giving batches of pancake mix with a copy of the recipe to deserving people in your life. You can also freeze it for quite a while. I hope this helps. Susan

24. Joe Arbuthnot

I made pancakes from this mix which I keep in the refrigerator using one cup of mix, 1/4 cup of KA buttermilk powder, one cup of water and one large egg. I let the mix stand for a good twenty minutes. The mix was very thin which made it difficult to make the pancakes. Maybe I ground the oats too much? Would you use less water? Would it help to make the batter and keep in the refrigerator overnight?

Anyway they were delicious ! Thanks for the recipe.

Hi Joe, this batter is a bit thinner than you might expect, which helps to hydrate the whole grains and keep the pancakes soft and fluffy. If you like the way the pancakes turned out (which it sounds like you did!) then you might want to soldier through the watery batter without changing anything else. However, you can also try reducing the water to 3/4 cup if making the batter the day the pancakes will be served, or you can make the batter with a full cup of water and let the batter thicken overnight. Both approaches should still make delicious, whole-grain pancakes. Happy baking! Kye@KAF