Whole-Grain Pancake Mix: homemade goodness

These whole-grain pancakes are the best I’ve ever made. I have a container of the dry mix in my fridge at all times, ready for me whenever I get a hankering for some breakfast food. The oats give the pancakes a bit of texture, which makes them a joy to eat – I like when my food has more than one note to it.

But do you really want to know why I think it’s the best? Because I know exactly what’s in this whole-grain pancake mix – after all, I made it with my own two hands!

Susan Reid, writer and food editor for SIFT magazine, and Susan Miller, director of our Baking Education Center, created this mix back when they were writing the King Arthur Flour Whole-Grain Baking Book, and it’s been in our refrigerators ever since!

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

In case you’re looking for more reasons to run to the kitchen and buzz it up, I’ve included some. Can you think of any others?

1) Pancakes are the ultimate breakfast-for-dinner food.

You come home late (gym, grocery shopping, happy hour!) and you don’t have time to prepare a lavish meal. With the mix already made, it’s just a matter of scoop, pour, and mix – and dinner is on its way!

2) Whole-grains = basically an obligation to eat more pancakes.

Because healthy is the ultimate excuse.

3) You can add fruit to them.

Balanced breakfast, anyone? A partial list of combinations that have made successful appearances so far: peach, raspberry, banana-walnut, cheddar-apple, blueberry, and cranberry-apricot. Feel free to add about 2/3 cup mix-ins to your batter.

Just remember, adding frozen fruit may tint your pancakes a strange color! It’s better to scatter frozen fruit atop the cooking pancakes, instead of mixing it in.

4) Breakfast for days!

10 days, to be exact. This recipe makes about 10 cups of pancake mix, with each batch of pancakes using 1 cup of mix. You and yours will be happily fed for many, many mornings. So exciting!

5) Put a little more love into Sunday morning breakfast.

Homemade pancakes just taste better. Did I mention how EASY it is to make this mix? Let me show you!

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Grind 3 1/2 cups old-fashioned or rolled oats in a food processor until they’re chopped fine, but not a powder.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Put 4 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons baking powder, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 tablespoon baking soda into a mixer with a paddle. Whisk together until well blended.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Mix on slow speed, and drizzle 1 cup of vegetable oil into the bowl slowly while the mixer is running. It’ll resemble damp sand. You should be able to squeeze a handful and it’ll roughly stick together.

That’s it. As easy as I told you, right?

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Store your pancake mix in an airtight container for up to two weeks at room temperature, or indefinitely in the refrigerator or freezer. It’ll be your new best breakfast friend – always there when you need it.

How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

When you’re ready for pancakes, whisk together 1 cup of mix, 1 cup of buttermilk (or a combination of half plain yogurt and half milk; or 3/4 cup liquid whey), and 1 large egg. Don’t worry if it seems thin at first: the oats will soak up the milk, and the mix will thicken a bit as it stands.

If you have a picky eater on your hands who won’t touch whole grains, add 1 tablespoon orange juice to the dry mix along with the buttermilk. We’ve found that the acidity and sweetness of the orange juice helps mellow the tannic taste some people perceive in whole wheat flour; while the pancakes won’t have any orange flavor, they may taste slightly milder to you, if you’re not a fan of whole wheat (but still want to get more whole grains into your diet).How to make Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Let the batter stand for at least 20 minutes before cooking. Heat a lightly greased griddle to 350°F (if you’ve got a griddle with a temperature setting; if not, medium-hot will do). Drop the batter onto it in 1/4-cupfuls (a jumbo cookie scoop works well here) to make a 4″ diameter pancake.

When the edges look dry and bubbles come to the surface without breaking (after about 2 minutes, if your griddle is the correct temperature), turn the pancake over to finish cooking on the second side, which will take about 2 minutes. Serve pancakes immediately, or stack and hold in a warm oven.

Whole Grain Pancake Mix via @kingarthurflour

Breakfast is the most important meal of the day – make sure your plate is filled with something whole-grain AND delicious!

Please bake, rate, and review our recipe for Homemade Whole-Grain Pancake Mix.

Print just the recipe.

Gwen Adams

Gwen Adams grew up in northern New Hampshire, on top of a mountain, surrounded by nature and not much else. After graduating from Lyndon State College in 2010, Gwen sought a career that combined her passion for writing with her love of baking. She found ...

comments

1. Joe Arbuthnot

I made pancakes from this mix which I keep in the refrigerator using one cup of mix, 1/4 cup of KA buttermilk powder, one cup of water and one large egg. I let the mix stand for a good twenty minutes. The mix was very thin which made it difficult to make the pancakes. Maybe I ground the oats too much? Would you use less water? Would it help to make the batter and keep in the refrigerator overnight?

Anyway they were delicious ! Thanks for the recipe.

Hi Joe, this batter is a bit thinner than you might expect, which helps to hydrate the whole grains and keep the pancakes soft and fluffy. If you like the way the pancakes turned out (which it sounds like you did!) then you might want to soldier through the watery batter without changing anything else. However, you can also try reducing the water to 3/4 cup if making the batter the day the pancakes will be served, or you can make the batter with a full cup of water and let the batter thicken overnight. Both approaches should still make delicious, whole-grain pancakes. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. Sail

Ok, this sounds silly… I’ve been making your awesome pancake mix since long. But today, in hurry, I’ve put 3 tbsp of baking soda instead of baking powder. So I skipped adding baking powder all together. Will that make any difference health wise, taste wise or texture wise? I didn’t add oil yet. Waiting for your reply.

1. Susan Reid

We totally understand how you could end up there. Baking soda is a lot more powerful by volume than baking powder (3 times). Health wise there’s nothing to worry about. Taste wise, you will have baking soda that doesn’t react, and the pancakes will taste bitter and/or soapy. The texture is likely to be about the same. If I were in your position I would consider making 2 more rounds of the dry ingredients, mixing in what you have, adding the baking powder that’s missing, and giving batches of pancake mix with a copy of the recipe to deserving people in your life. You can also freeze it for quite a while. I hope this helps. Susan

2. Sail

Ha… ha… I have tripled the recipe as you have suggested but didn’t give to anyone. Just froze it and used within few months. Thank you.
      Now another question… what’s the benefit of adding oil to the mix? Can’t I just mix all dry ingredients and store? And while making the batter, add oil along with egg and buttermilk? Just curious because I don’t have any mixer and I always mix oil with hand. Still satisfied with the outcome.

3. Susan Reid

Hi, Sail. I designed the mix when I was running brunch service in a high-end restaurant; the beauty of it was being able to make more pancake batter on the fly in less than 5 minutes, so adding as few ingredients to the mix to get to the finished product was a thing. Later on, I continued making the mix as designed because it was the ultimate convenience food for my siblings to make for their kids on Sunday mornings. The simplicity of 1, 2, 3, pancakes was a powerful draw. That said, there’s no reason you can’t leave the oil out of the mix and add 2 tablespoons when you mix in the egg and the buttermilk. The mix should still be kept in the freezer, to keep the whole grains from going rancid. Susan

We suspect that it’s possible, but we haven’t tried this ourselves, so it would be a bit of an experiment. Try mixing up 1 cup of the mix, as described in the recipe, and adding 1-2 Tbsp of additional brown sugar (per batch). For truly high-rising muffins, you may also need to add some additional leavening and/or more sugar. So we’d suggest baking off one muffin, and if it seems to need more leavening or sugar, add more to your batter before baking the rest (or another test muffin if you’re feeling especially experimental). Be sure to let us know how it goes if you give it a try! Mollie@KAF

3. Teri

I would really appreciate on a recipe site if the recipe was written in a tradiational was rather than having to read an entire article to try and find the bits of it. It’s just not worth it to spend an hour for one recipe! Be efficient and handy for the home cooks!

4. Jaelle

Could I use whole wheat pastry flour in place of the whole wheat flour? If so, would I decrease (or eliminate) the baking powder and soda? Thank you!

1. PJ Hamel

Jaelle, yes, you can certainly do that. No need to amend the leavening, but you might want to decrease the liquid a bit when you make pancakes, as ww pastry flour absorbs less liquid than regular whole wheat flour. Good luck — PJH

5. Anne

I’ve been making this recipe since I first saw it in the Whole Grain Baking book. It’s a favorite of my grandchildren who often request pancakes when they spend the night. Boxed pancake mixes cannot compare to these fluffy gems.

6. D. Smith

I would never use “vegetable” oil (what kind do you *baker’s* at King Arthur Flour use?) and I certainly wouldn’t add it to the dry ingredients until I was ready to make the pancakes. I would switch out the oil for melted butter and add it at the same time I add the buttermilk, etc. That way you just have the dry powder and can store it much easier.

** The only oils I use anymore are coconut, red palm, avocado oil and walnut oil. That’s it. I don’t think any of those would taste good with pancakes or muffins (coconut might be ok if it was melted first but it has a funky consistency until it’s melted) so butter would be a better option. I never buy “oils” at the grocery store and I wouldn’t buy canola oil ever – eww. I don’t trust most olive oils anymore either because most of them are rancid at the time of purchase. You can smell the rancidity when you take the top off the bottle sometimes.

Just my 2 cents. ; )

1. Susan Reid

We use a blend of soy and canola oils in the test kitchen, but at home I confess to a preference for safflower or sunflower oil. They’re more neutral in flavor.
      The enemy of oil as far as rancidity is air; it’s better to buy a smaller bottle that will be used more quickly before it can go off.
      If you want to leave the oil out of the mix, by all means do so, and add melted butter at the time you mix up the batter. For a single batch 2 to 3 tablespoons is about right. If you want to use the mix for waffles (which works well, also), up the butter to 4 tablespoons.
      Walnut oil might make interesting pancakes with a dash of cinnamon in them, but I agree with you about the rest of your favorites not really being the thing for breakfast 🙂 Susan

Connie, you can substitute rehydrated flax meal as an egg replacement (more on this here: http://bit.ly/2cJI3pH) or crack an egg, whisk it up, and only use half (a scale can help here) — use the other half for the world’s smallest side of scrambled eggs…or add it to another egg or two for a more regular portion. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

7. Gwen

Is it possible to add the buttermilk powder to the whole mix rather than just before making the pancakes? So that when ready to cook all you would have to add to each batch would be 1 cup of water and 1 egg?

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Gwen. Many, many people have tried this and been unhappy with the results. The mix just doesn’t taste or work as well- the buttermilk powder doesn’t reconstitute. If you don’t want to work with liquid buttermilk, yogurt mixed with some milk is an ok substitute, but also not as good. I recommend freezing excess buttermilk in an ice cube tray (each well is about 2 ounces). That way you don’t waste any and can thaw just what you need when it’s pancake time. The thawed buttermilk will look curdled, but it works fine and tastes good. Susan

Hi Barbara,
      The full nutritional information is available if you click on the recipe link and then look for “Nutrition Information” in the At a Glance box on the right hand side of the page. There are 12 grams of carbohydrates per 1 medium-large pancake. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF