5 Surprising Ways to Use Your Waffle Iron: Beyond Breakfast

Most of us have a waffle iron somewhere in our kitchen. It’s likely stashed in the back of a cabinet with your other single-use appliances. It sits there gathering dust, until someone requests waffles one lazy Sunday and you drag it out. Then you promptly forget about it for the next eight months (or year, or two years).

Or maybe you’re a waffle aficionado, and you do use your waffle iron often, and you can’t imagine breakfast without a crisp, golden stack doused in maple syrup.

Whichever camp you fall into, I’m here to change the way you think about a waffle iron.

Full disclosure: I used to live in a world in which waffle irons were strictly for waffles. But then I discovered a brilliant, life-altering truth: a waffle iron is just a teeny, tiny oven!

Your waffle iron can do everything from toast to bake to griddle. It’s like a much cooler version of a panini press. I’m not the only one to realize this glorious fact; there are entire blogs out there dedicated to the art of waffling.

A waffle iron not only heats and cooks your food, but it gives you those lovely little indentations, which create extra crispiness and crunch on the exterior of waffled foods, and serve to soak up sauces, butter, maple syrup, and more (just like the nooks and crannies of an English muffin).

Today I’ll show you a few of my favorite things to waffle, but please, consider this an open invitation to experiment. I can’t think of very many things that won’t waffle. I’d love you to try it for yourself and tell me what worked and what didn’t!

Some of my past successes include waffled falafel, waffled calzones, waffled French toast, waffled zucchini fritters, and waffled omelets.

You can waffle chocolate chip cookie dough or even cake batter. I regularly use a waffle iron to make quesadillas and even simple buttered toast.

A few notes before we dive in. First, a good waffle iron is essential. A double waffle iron like this Belgian machine is useful for making deep-dish waffled foods. If you want something more simple, the KitchenAid iron is top of the line, or try this Croquade waffle maker which has nifty interchangeable plates!

Next, be sure to spray your waffle iron very well. Cleaning a waffle iron is no fun, and this ensures your foods won’t stick.

Another way to prevent mess is to be careful not to overfill. Always start with less batter or dough than you think you need.

When baking anything that would traditionally be baked in an oven (brownies, cookies, and so on), don’t peek! These foods tend to stick more and need to be fully baked before you lift the lid.

Fire up your waffle iron, and let’s begin!

Classic Buttermilk Waffles in a Waffle Iron

Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflour Let’s start with the obvious: waffles! My favorite quick and easy recipe is our Classic Buttermilk Waffle recipe. It yields a light, delicate, and crisp waffle that’s easy to turn savory (just omit the sugar). The recipe calls for an optional 1/4 cup of almond flour, which I recommend. The almond flour adds a bit of nuttiness and texture.

Other fantastic recipes include our Best Waffles Ever, Belgian-Style Yeast Waffles, and Classic Sourdough Waffles.

Hash Browns in a Waffle Iron

Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflour

Next up, let’s transform another breakfast classic: hash browns. If you’re already making waffles for breakfast, you should definitely add hash browns to the menu.

I often waffle my hash browns for a quick dinner (top them with a fried or poached egg and some wilted greens for a heartier meal). Just grate your potatoes, wring out as much liquid as possible, and season them with salt and pepper. Press them into your waffle iron in a thick layer and cook until crisp and brown.

Hot sauce optional, but recommended.

Doughnuts in a Waffle Iron

Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflour

If you love doughnuts, but don’t feel like messing about with a doughnut pan or fryer, pull out your waffle iron.

Doughnut batter performs surprisingly well in a waffle iron. It bakes up into a puffy, light disc with a wonderfully crunchy top. I used our Buttermilk Doughnut Mix, which worked like a charm. Sure, it’s not shaped in a circle, but it tastes just the same.

For the full doughnut experience, drizzle glaze on top (this Boiled Cider Glaze recipe is fantastic) or dip your doughnut waffle into chocolate ganache and sprinkles.

Grilled Cheese in a Waffle Iron

Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflour

As I mentioned, you can think of a waffle iron as really just a textured (read: more awesome) panini press. Thus, it should come as no surprise that your waffle iron is ideal for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Just spray your waffle iron, place one slice of bread down, and top with your favorite cheeses. Place the second slice of bread on top, close the iron, and cook until the cheese is melted.

To take your grilled cheese to the next level, spread some mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of bread. It’ll get extra crisp and golden.

Brownies in a Waffle Iron

Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflour

I saved the best for last: brownies. One of the nicest things about a waffle iron is how much time it saves you, especially when you’re baking a single serving. Sometimes you just want a brownie, and you want it right away!

Brownies are easy to make in a waffle iron: Just ladle in your batter, close the lid, and cook until baked through.

You don’t need to turn the oven on, or dirty a baking pan, or even make an entire batch.

Any brownie recipe works, and the waffle iron gives you lots of deliciously crunchy brownie edges, which is the best part. NB: The same secret holds for muffin recipes; the waffle iron basically yields one giant crisp muffin top.

If you’re prone to sweets craving, I suggest making a batch of your favorite cookie dough and portioning it out into individual scoops. Freeze the scoops, and when you want a warm cookie, just heat up your waffle iron and bake off one scoop!Waffle Iron Tricks via @kingarthurflourNow dust off your waffle iron and restore it to a place of pride in your kitchen. Let the waffling commence!

comments

1. Elaine

My waffle iron was a wedding gift–to my parents back in 1935! I still use it, and now I have some great new ideas for it. Thanks!

1. czangel

I inherited my waffle iron, it has the fabric cord and still works great. The waffles are square rather than round. I’m thinking of making tater tot grlled cheese.

2. Vikk

I have 3 waffle irons: one was a wedding gift in1934 to my parents, one was bought at the NY World’s Fair which introduced Belgian waffles and one is the flip one which keep out on the counter all the time. My B&B guests get waffles if they stay two or more nights, fer shur!

3. Sheila Driscoll

Mine was a wedding gift to my parents in 1937. It works perfectly and my grand girls use it all the time. Just had to get a new cord.

2. Susan H

I just made a batch of waffles yesterday, using the King Arthur’s sour dough recipe. They are absolutely my favorite. I’ve also made brownies and those are great if you’re a brownie “edges” fan. I never thought of using my waffle maker for grilled cheese. Great idea! I’ll have to try it soon.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Most of these should work just fine with a traditional iron, although it may flatten things out more than a Belgian-style one. ~ MJ

1. DeerPark Momma

I have never heard of gauffets, and I can’t seem to find a recipe for them. Could you tell me what kind of cookie they are? Thanks!

What an idea, Peggy! We haven’t tried waffling biscuits, but we think it could work if the dough was thin enough. A biscuit that’s 1-2″ thick might not cook all the way through in the center, but something thinner could put you in business. You should note that the final product will be slightly dense and won’t have the classic lofty layers of a biscuit since it’s pressed in the waffle iron. Give it a shot if you like! Kye@KAF

3. Rachel B.

I think I figured out the confusion here. The OP accidentally mashed together “gaufrettes” and “galettes”. Different, but both deliciuos!
      Gaufrettes are the thin, waffle-like cookies that the OP meant to mention. Galettes are a type of tart made with a flaky pastry usually filled with fruit and folded over at the edges to make a crust to hold the filling in. No pie-pan/tart-pan needed.

3. Shaari :)

Falafel waffles then you don’t have Rollin falafel a coming out of your pita, they are the righ shape to fill the pocket. Alternatively, skip the pita and put the salad and tsadiki sauce in the folder falafel waffle 🙂

1. Adele

How do you make Falafel waffles… I had them once at a restaurant in Portland and feel in love.

Adele, I think you’d start by finding a really good falafel recipe, and the greasing your waffle iron very well before cooking them. I’m guessing they would cook in the iron for 5-10 minutes, depending on the iron you have. Bryanna@KAF

4. Amy U

The morning after Christmas, I waffled leftover stuffing for a savory breakfast, served with eggs over easy on top. They were fantastic!

1. Rachel

The Boy made a fabulous post-Thanksgiving lunch of a stuffing waffle topped with turkey and cranberry relish, as a follow up to the sweet potato waffles we had for breakfast that morning.

2. chicook13

Oh my goodness, what a fabulous idea! Stuffing is my absolute favorite part of Thanksgiving/Christmas dinner and you’ve just taken it up a notch!

3. Mary P

I was just about to write about doing that same thing. But our stuffing was a ‘dry’ style, so I added an egg and a little milk before cooking it in the waffle iron. SOOOOOO good! Especially with left-over gravy. Sort of a Thanksgiving version of biscuits and gravy.

5. terri

Can you please tell me the amount of time to cook the brownies? I tried several batches – and the first two fell apart when I opened the lid, and the last one held together, but became very crunch after I removed it. Do you have a recipe that you can share? I would really like to figure this out, because we are having a brunch bridal shower for my daughter and I would like to serve these! Thank you!

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Hm, it’s hard to give an exact time because it does depend on your waffle iron. Typically I bake mine for about 2-3 minutes — I have a basic, non-Belgian waffle iron and I usually depend on the indicator light. If you’re finding the last one was too crunchy, try either making the brownie thicker (more batter), or just shave 30 seconds to a minute off that amount of time that made it too crunchy. Good luck!

2. Ramilin

I read online you have to add one extra egg to the recipe. I made some Betty Crocker brownie mix today, and it worked like a charm. I also read online to use alot of spray because they will stick.

3. Helen

We need to forget the brownie in a waffle baker!
      It takes no time for my brownie recipe to put together and bake in 23 minutes.
      Nothing like a moist, out of the pan, 2 inch square brownie.
      Glazed with my no fail chocolate frosted top.
      All from scratch, and easy!
      The grilled cheese idea is great, loved it.

6. Carol

love my waffle iron even have one that works on the stove: made pumpkin waffles just a couple of weeks ago: but love the cookie dough idea will will freeze and make! What is the best amount of baking powder to use in general in waffle recipes?

We are glad to hear you are eager to try the cookie dough trick, Carol! The amount of baking powder to use will be specific to the waffle recipe. My personal favorite waffle recipe, Classic Buttermilk Waffles, calls for 2 teaspoons of baking powder just as a reference. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

2. steven williamson

We have an old cast iron waffle maker (antique/junk store find nearly 30 years ago, $20.) that sits on a metal cone which sits over the stove flame or, I guess, the open flame of a cook stove…we just love it. It took a bit of learning to know when to turn it and how high the flame should be. Can’t wait to try some of these in the maker, especially the stuffing. Had never thought of it.

Thanks!

3. AnaCruz5

I LOVE antique cast iron waffle makers! I think the one that my mom has is at least 60 years old, and it still works like a charm. I recently bought a similar Rome cast iron waffle iron for my family, but I have only used it once so far. That was quite the experience, I dripped oil all over the stove and smoked up the kitchen, but at least the waffles were tasty. I think it still needs more seasoning.

7. Chris Dobson

Last summer we had an awesome dessert at a restaurant in my hometown of Detroit. Silver dollar size (made to order in the waffle iron) warm, chocolate, crispy, brownie ice cream sandwiches! Amen!

8. John

I have used my waffle iron to make savory waffles with left over stuffing (mixed with an egg) with gravy its great. Or with cranberry and turkey for a Monte Cristo waffle!

9. Cathie

How about stuffing, either stove top or homemade in a waffle iron. Use it as a base for a hot turkey sandwich. Yummmm!

More creative ways to transform Thanksgiving leftovers are always welcome! Give is a try next time you make a full-fledged turkey roaster meal and let us know how it is! Kye@KAF

10. Denise L

Stick two of those brownies waffles together with your favorite ice cream and voila you have the world’s best ice cream sandwich! Yummy!!!

11. citlalnahuac

I make a batch of cornbread dough and cook it in my waffle iron. You can add cheese and/or corn kernels if you like. My iron makes five-heart waffles, and the little heart-shaped cornbread waffles are great with soup or chili.

12. Nava

Hi,
    I have tried dozens of waffke recipes, trying to duplicate the kind you get in a diner.
    I have both a traditional square waffle iron, and also a round belgium waffle maker.

Any suggestions would reasly be aporeciated-

Hi Nava,
      A search for the perfect diner-style waffle, what fun! Many diners serve thick, yeasty, and delicious http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/belgian-style-yeast-waffles-recipe. You can make this recipe even more diner-esque by adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon of almond extract. If yeasted waffles are not your first choice, try using the Buttermilk Waffle recipe and use this blog about Waffle Tips for sure-fire success! Happy baking! Kye@KAF

13. Hane

Some time back, I started making grilled cheese sandwiches in my waffle iron, and I’ll never go back to the old way again!

1. Maryanne

I take it you do NOT butter the outside of the bread slices first…like for a traditional grilled cheese?

2. Chrys Hulshof

Our waffle iron is the regular kind, not Belgium, and the plates turn over for a griddle. It was a wedding gift to us 53 years ago. I do butter the outside of the bread slices first, very lightly. and close the lid on the sandwiches so they get golden brown on both sides at once and melt the cheese beautifully. I can do two sandwiches at the same time, since the iron is a rectangle. Also, we love to add cooked bacon or ham slices to the cheese sandwiches.

14. Beth Hodgman

I use my waffle iron for sandwiches, waffles, cookies; but the food my grandsons ask for most often is “tater tot” hash browns. I place the tots on the iron (sometimes I use the tots with onion), add cheese to the top and close the iron. Voila / delish hash browns in a jif!

15. Wendy Schatz

Similar to using hash browns, have you tried making latkas/pancakes in your waffle maker. You don’t have to stick to potato latkas, but if you make cheese latkas I recommend that the waffle griddle is well greased.

16. Tresa

I LOVE my waffle maker! I also, take canned biscuits, the cinnamon ones, and put them in the waffle maker, then top them with ice cream for a fabulous easy quick dessert!

17. Nava V.

Hi,

Sorry if this is a duplicate post…
    I have tried many, many recipes for a waffle, the kind you would get at a diner, light and airy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
    I have a traditional square waffler maker, and also a round Belgium waffle maker.

I would aporeciate any suggestions…
    Thank you!!!

1. Nancy Miller

This is REALLY cheating, but I use a buttermilk waffle mix with club soda instead of water and make them very thin!

18. Mary B.

“Waffled falafel” – try to say that without giggling!
    This has inspired me. I use my waffle iron regularly for KA sourdough waffles, but I’ve never used it for anything else. So many great suggestions!

19. Dorothy

Oh, you missed the best one – cornbread! There is no greater side (or, technically, under) for chili than a cornbread waffle – it’s all crispy edges, the best part!

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Ah, you can’t really keep them puffy like a traditional doughnut. They will end up the same shape as a standard waffle (if you have a Belgian waffle iron, that will get them a bit thicker and puffier), but they will taste just like a doughnut! I love having the flavor of a doughnut in a different, waffle-sized shape.

20. Margy

I’m watching a cooking show, and some guy is making a falafel waffle. Or is it a waffle falafel? Too funny! My panini maker has waffle inserts, and I grill my sandwiches on them..so many nice crispy corners. And my family loves Leige waffles.

21. Elizabeth

When I was visiting my now-fiance and his family, I brought your gluten free doughnut mix, but we didn’t have a doughnut pan. He has a great Belgian waffle maker though, so I decided it was the best approximation, and the Woughnut was born! They cooked up perfectly and tasted amazing. Plus, they hold all the glaze or cinnamon sugar you could want! Just you wait, Cronut, the Woughnut’s coming for you…

22. Doris

I use my waffle iron for scrambled eggs, too. We love waffles, but need some protein to go with them. So I scramble up 4 to 6 eggs and bake them up in the waffle iron. Saves dirtying a frying pan and my husband loves them.

23. Carolyn

Try waffled doughnut holes (in Canada known as Timbits). Super yum! Also, a regular panettone loaf is pretty much the perfect size for the round double waffle maker from KA when sliced horizonally – makes unbelievable waffled French toast.

24. Rick Paula

I “waffled” eggplant that I floured, egg washed and dipped in seasoned panko. When it was cooked through, I topped it with marinara and cheese and heated it in the toaster oven for a lighter eggplant parm. Easier than baking it in the oven with fewer pans to clean.

25. Carol McRee

We don’t own a waffle iron! We did not receive one as a wedding gift. Waffles are my least favorite breakfast food. All those annoying indentations that ruin the surface so things don’t spread easily. Why they are so popular is beyond me. I love breakfast just not waffles.

1. Michelle Raymond

Why have you taken the time to read this, and post a (negative) comment?
      Everybody does not like everything ~Give your time & attention to all of the things you DO like!

2. Jen

I never usually comment on anything, but I just can’t believe someone who doesn’t even like waffles would bother reading this blog, let alone make a negative comment. I love waffles.This is a great blog. Find something you love and comment on that.

3. Twoimps

The point of this article is using a waffle iron for cooking EVERYTHING not just waffles – including cooks w/out wedding gifts and even trolls.

26. June Geraci

Coming home from work one night I knew I was too tired to cook. So I bought a loaf of fresh baked (unsliced) rye, tomato, avocado, and fresh mozzarella. I had leftover chicken breast in the fridge. I sliced thick slices of bread, filled them with everything. The bread was spread with Dijon mustard on the inside, and mayo on the outside to help it toast. Beautiful paninis, with a lovely waffle pattern.

27. Carolyn

Blog post request – Liege waffles (without a mix). Would love to see your detailed instructions on how to make these.

Noted, and passed forward Carolyn! Who doesn’t love a crispy Liege waffles with their pockets of sweetness? Yum! Kye@KAF

28. Kim

Love the idea of making savory waffles. One of my fondest memories of my beloved grandmother was how she’d lay pieces of bacon on top of the waffle batter and make the yummiest waffles ever. I don’t have a waffle iron and was SHOCKED to see the two you recommend are hundreds of dollars!? Who knew? You’d think they’d be a $40-$60 item. I’ll try some thrift stores though.

1. Jo

I bought one by Nordic ware for about $60, though it’s the kinds that goes directly on the stove, not an electric one.

29. Susan

I have no imagination and never thought of using my waffle iron for anything except waffles. And I bake on a regular basis, so I’m very disappointed in myself. Now I have a new adventure to start on! What can I make in my waffle iron? Thanks to everyone’s ideas here, I have a bunch of things to try!

1. Michelle Raymond

Oh yes, you do have lots of imagination, or you would not be seeking out new ideas!
      Do Not Ever be disappointed in yourself ~ you do & have done so much !
      I decided that pie crust was not worth it a long time ago, but I bake the best cakes & breads ~
      so let the pastry bakers prevail ! Find what you enjoy & are good at, – That is your signature contribution to any meal or event, and what everyone looks forward to. YAY- New Ideas!

30. Elayne

my grandchildren love waffle-muffins. Any mix or recipe works and they are less messy with a nice crunchy taste, think muffin tops. It’s also a quick portable snack if you are on the go.

31. Janitty

I like a waffle iron with removeable, reversible plates (flat on one side and waffley on the other). The two sides of the grill open out and lay flat so you could cook on two grill surfaces at one time. This appliance serves so many functions that it is really handy to have in a small kitchenette with no traditional stove. I have used it when teaching cooking – it’s portable and easy to use anywhere there is a plug. I remember being taught by some of my students how to make homemade tortillas that we cooked on the grill. Next time maybe we will take the completed tortillas and fill them with yummy foods and “waffle” them!

Great to hear the way you use this iron and the versatility of it. Grill and Waffle ON!!!!JoAnn@KAF

32. sandy

I often buy KAF scone mixes and use them to make pancakes. The varieties of flavors are wonderful. I use the instructions on the KAF website to convert the scones mix into pancake batter. I think that the scone mixes could also be modified to make waffles. Just think of the possibilities – cinnamon pecan and Vermont maple oat are the two I have in pantry right now. I know waffle batter is different from pancake batter. Any thought about how to make the scone mixes into waffle batter?

Sandy, I would use the pancake directions and add another TBS or so of oil to the batter. The main difference between pancakes and waffles is the amount of fat in the batter, so I think that should do the trick. Be sure to grease the waffle iron, too. Bryanna@KAF

33. Jennifer

Oh, my goodness! What a wonderful article! And such inspiring comments! I LOVE KAF, and you readers are the BEST! I don’t think I saw just cheese waffles in the thread, but I grew up on them. I put the buttermilk waffle mix in the iron and put grated cheese on top…cheddar or pepper jack…and grill away! Also, if you need a waffle iron, check out a Williams-Sonoma Outlet! You can order over the phone. It will be at least 20% off the retail price! I worked at the store in Leesburg, Virginia for several years, and I sold a LOT of waffle irons…and ice cream machines, bUT that’s another thread altogether!

34. Sue G.

Do you think popover dough would work well in a waffle iron? I just made some KAF popovers from the mix the other day and they were exquisite. Do you think the moist web of eggy dough would come through, even a bit, if squished in a waffle iron?

1. MaryJane Robbins

While I think the outside would be amazing, I don’t think you’d get much egginess inside, and for some of us, that’s the best part. Give it a try and see what you think, though. ~ MJ

35. Diane

I mixed shredded cheese and scallions in leftover mashed potatoes. Spread (not too thick) evenly and waffle away. It’s a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes? Sorry, I don’t have amounts, but put quite a bit of cheese and onion in the mix. Be sure you spray well. Done when they release easily.

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hash browns, gluten-free doughnuts and grilled cheeses should all work the same way in your iron. ~ MJ

1. Posie Harwood, post author

It’s definitely important to spray the waffle iron very, very well (more than you think you’d need). It also helps to not peek at the brownie until it’s fully baked — if you lift it up while the batter is still wet, it can stick easily. Hope that helps!

Jeanne, you may need to spray or oil your waffle iron more heavily for the brownies. Barb@KAF

36. Shelley

One Sunday morning I feeding a family crowd breakfast. After making some waffles which I personally don’t like, decided to make my yummy French toast. I used the waffle iron and much to my surprise the French toast raised the lid! They puffed up and were simply delicious! Only way I make French toast now!!

37. Anna Beatty

I love the suggestions, especially the falafel one. I do not fry stuff, except for the occasional stir-fry. My mother made gingerbread waffles. I think just about any batter of the right consistency would work.

38. Marilyn

My mom used her waffle iron to make turtle cookies. She dropped chocolate cookie dough onto the waffle iron, baked and then frosted with chocolate frosting. They looked like little chocolate turtles with a chocolate shell. Wonderful cookies and memories!

1. Chrys Hulshof

One day while making Gingerbread Boy cookies, I ran out enthusiasm for cutting them all out, so I rolled out the rest of the dough and cut it into pieces with a knife and then baked them in the regular waffle iron. They were a real hit with our boys!

39. Colleen

I just made a triple batch yesterday, used the recipe in your Lets Bake booklet which I just bought again at the MSU surplus store as mine was in bad repair from so much use!

40. Judy Ellington

Love all these suggestions for the waffle iron and ready to try. Concerned about how to know when the food is done cooking?

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Good question Judy! It’s difficult to give a hard and fast rule, and each waffle iron is different, so I recommend following your waffle iron — most will have either an indicator light or a timer to let you know when your food is ready. Some more unusual items (like a cake batter or cookie dough) might take a little trial and error to figure out how long your particular iron needs to cook them through. Good luck and enjoy!!

41. Jo

At a nice little second hand shop, I bought a Hamilton Beach Waffle Stix maker. You get a two portion waffle which can be split into six “stix” which kids love to eat and adults find nice for tea time.
    The waffles can be frozen. then warmed in the oven, I am going to try the corn meal stix for use with chili.

Always something fun on King Arthur’s Sunday feature!

42. Maryanne Vespa

Somehow I’ve misplaced the cord to the waffle iron I received as a wedding shower gift over 40 years ago. Any suggestions where to get a replacement?
    Thanks

1. Susan Reid

If you have any antique shops or flea markets near you that carry cooking items, you would likely find a cord there. Susan

43. Suzanne page

I tried the brownies and couldn’t get them out of the iron. They didn’t stick as I sprayed, but just fell apart when trying to get it out. They were too soft. When I tried cooking them longer they just burned. What a mess!

We are so sorry to hear this! I am questioning whether the iron was hot enough to sear the batter. Elisabeth@KAF

44. Anita Barney

The next time I make bread (pretty much every other weekend), I think I’ll try gently patting out a circle of raised dough and baking it in my waffle iron. Flat, crispy sort-of dinner rolls! Oh, the possibilities ….

45. sandy

I have never been able to make good hash browns. I have tried and tried. We love them so I decided to try them in the waffle iron. I took about 4 cups of frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed them, and squeezed out as much water as I could. Then I mixed two tablespoons of melted butter, a dash of salt and pepper and packed them onto my lightly sprayed Belgian waffle iron. They cooked up nice and crisp in about 10 mins or so (I ignored the “waffle is done” light). They were great.

46. Kerry

I so want to try my cauliflower fritters this way! Also,my waffle iron has double sided parts that you can flip (also makes for super easy cleaning because they come out for washing) so I can use either the flat or the smooth side. At some point I’ll try the smooth on one side and the waffled on the other.

47. Adele

I’m looking for a new waffle iron and have questions re the Belgium one. Do you need a special recipe for them? My old one was the regular type.

1. Posie Harwood, post author

Adele, you don’t ned a special recipe but a Belgian iron makes a deeper waffle so it can handle more batter. Any recipe will work in either! Just make sure you’re pouring in the proper amount of batter as recommended by the manufacturer of your iron. -Posie

48. Anne Wilson

Highly recommend french toast waffles. One weekend my grandson couldn’t make up his mind whether he wanted waffles or french toast, so we just made the toast in the waffle iron. Best of both worlds, and it’s now a “Grandma Special”.

49. Adel

in a pinch, my daughter uses her waffle iron with any of the tube/roll biscuits, crescent rolls… the kids love them. Just decide whether you want a sweet or savory breakfast, dinner…or whatever!

50. Sara Crittenden Coppedge

I am so inspired by this article. I couldn’t waIt to try the brownies. I made a batch of Bakers One Bowl Brownies and set about baking them in my Sunbeam waffle iron. I had the same problem mentioned above. The waffles didn’t stick, but they were too soft to lift out. I tried baking them longer and hotter, but then they burned on the bottom. Finally, I spooned the rest of the batter (about half) into the hot iron, cooked until the light went out and then turned off the waffle and let everything sit until it cooled. This time, the chocolate waffles came out much better but it still took a delicate touch to get them out in one piece, but they sold not burn. I need to keep experimenting as that is a rather slow way to make them.
    I have some homemade fried rice in the fridge…I might add an egg to it and “waffle” it!

51. Jonzi

I moved a few months ago to a much smaller house with a much smaller kitchen. Things that I don’t use frequently are stored in the basement, ie, the waffle iron. It’s coming upstairs tomorrow __cant wait to try all of these things!!

You’re welcome to give it a shot, Susan, but we’re not sure it would work. It seems like the thin nature of pizzelles might clash with the deeper wells of your waffle iron. If you do decide to try, though, we’d be curious to hear how it goes. Mollie@KAF

Donna, some people do shy away from spraying because of the gumminess that can build up. The plates of most waffle makers are designed to be non-stick, so while added spray is not strictly necessary, we find it helps to prevent the frustrating sticky edges, etc. If you do decide to spray, just make sure to wipe the cooled surface down with a wet cloth afterwards. Mollie@KAF

52. Tondalaya

This blog just got me into serious trouble…..serious especially on the brownie waffle. It took miliseconds for me to see that bad boy with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream and some fudge sauce, all melting in those glorious little indentions. Heavens….my walk just increased at least 2 miles a day……

53. Lisa

I made zucchini fritter waffles & they came out great, but can’t get brownies to cook correctly. I had the same problems as others, brownies stuck and burned in my 1st try and wouldn’t stay together in my second. Don’t know what else to do to make them come out as pictured!

If your waffle iron has heat settings, try turning down the temperature and cook the brownies lower and slower. Brushing the nooks and crannies of the iron with shortening using a clean pastry brush can be helpful in ensuring an easy release. Also, resist the urge to open the iron before the steam has stopped coming out. That’s when they bread apart and stick. I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

54. La

I think I might try some beignet mix we were given….love them but not the deep frying part! Will let you know once we’ve beignet & done that ! 🙂

55. Nancy Miller

This is REALLY cheating but I use a complete buttermilk pancake mix, adding oil as suggested and club soda as the liquid. We like them best poured very thin. You can also throw on some cheese or a few blueberries….or if you’re really adventuresome, spread on cream cheese with jalapeño jelly after baking.

56. Cheryl

May be a repeat since I didn’t read every comment, but another favorite use for my waffle iron is cornbread. Just make cornbread batter a bit thinner than usual to pour into waffle iron. Top cornbread waffles with butter and honey (or maple syrup). Yummy!

57. thomas

You can throw bread stuffing in as well. Use it as bread for a post-Turkey day sandwich. Potato filling works well also as long as it isn’t too wet.

1. sandy

We always roast a turkey in late Winter and since it is so snowy and cold here in PA I did it this week. I did the whole Thanksgiving menu with lots of bread stuffing. I love it. So for lunch today I put a pile of leftover bread stuffing in the waffle iron, closed the lid and waited. It was delicious. Nice and crispy on the outside, but the center was soft and moist. Really a great way to reheat stuffing without it drying out. Tonight I am going to make “stuffing waffles” and top them with chopped turkey in hot gravy.

58. Twoimps

This is a great article as I love my All-Clad Belgian waffle iron and I’d never thought to use it for savory dishes and other desserts. Given that you can’t “wash” waffle iron like a pan, any tips for cleaning the deep nooks and crannies to prevent delicate items such as Belgian waffles picking up onion or other favors from savory dishes? Also, All-Clad advises against using non-stick cooking sprays and the waffle iron never needs it for waffles, they always release. Will regular oil brushed on lightly work?

It may help to use a soft toothbrush to swipe away any savory crumbs from your waffle iron surface. Once the waffle iron has completely cooled you can also wipe with a damp cloth. Brush on flavorless vegetable oil on the grid at the start of your waffle adventure to to keep those waffles from sticking to the grid. Happy baking! Irene@KAF

59. Diane

I put slices of battered eggplant. Fit as many as you can at one time. They cook really evenly and completely because of the waffle pattern. However, it takes patience to do enough for a meal for a several people.