Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies: quick, easy and oh-so buttery

When it comes to shortbread cookies, it’s all about the texture and crunch, right? Well, today we’re sharing a gluten-free spin on this classic cookie using almond flour instead of all-purpose flour.

We’ve talked about almond flour before and the many ways you can use it in your baking (gluten-free or not), and these shortbread cookies are a perfect example. The almond flour not only helps to keep them light and tender; but its high fat content means we don’t have to use as much butter as we do in traditional shortbread. But don’t worry, even though there’s less butter, these cookies are still every bit as crunchy, flaky and delicious – just like a true shortbread should be.

But most of all, what we really adore about these cookies is that they only require five ingredients. Yes, five. That’s it!

They’re a cinch to whip up, they bake in under 10 minutes, and really it’s just a bonus that they’re gluten-free. So whether you’re new to gluten-free baking or are just looking for a quick and easy cookie, these almond flour shortbread cookies are sure to be a hit. They truly make the most scrumptious dessert (and pair quite nicely with afternoon tea or coffee, if we do say so ourselves). Enjoy!

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

To start, you’ll want to preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl (or stand mixer), combine:

1 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons softened butter
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix all of the ingredients together until a cohesive dough forms.

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Scoop 1″ balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. You could use a teaspoon cookie scoop or just roll them in your hands. Arrange the balls of dough about 1 1/2″ to 2″ apart, then use a fork to flatten each cookie to about 1/4″ thick, making a crosshatch design.

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes, until they start to turn light golden brown on top.

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Remove the cookies from the oven and cool them on the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer them to a rack to cool completely before serving.

Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Read, bake, and review (please) our recipe for Gluten-Free Almond Flour Shortbread Cookies.

Print just the recipe.

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She's been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Kathryn

For anyone wondering about a sugar substitute, I’ve had great results from either blending my xylitol in the food processor or the coffee grinder to produce a powdered sugar! Use this in the recipe and you’ll get that great melt in the mouth texture

2. Jane. C

Love these cookies, but due to a friend’s dietary restrictions, decided to use Swerve instead of confectioners sugar. You can reduce the amount of sweetener used (I used 2 1/2 Tbspns) and the result is a beautifully balanced, buttery shortbread. Love this recipe and my friend was blown away.

3. Barb Slater

Delicious! Finally a gluten free food that I can look forward to eating, and super easy to make. Did not alter the recipe at all and they were exceptional!

4. Amy

Hi,

I’m wondering if I can substitute stevia or xylitol in place of the confectioners sugar and how much of the Stevia would you recommend? Thanks!

Hi there, Amy! We don’t test our recipes using sugar substitutes, so you’ll have to do some experimenting and will want to use a sweetener made for baking as well as check with the manufacturer for their suggested uses. Best of luck and happy baking! Morgan@KAF

2. Dorie LaRue

I just made some and I used stevia and they were pretty good. I put walnuts in mine. I am thinking some flavoring instead of vanilla extract might be good, too,such as butterscotch flavoring. I am going to try cocoa too. Sugar usually helps crisp and brown cookies. I baked mine on parchment paper and they were very crispy and the texture I liked.

Hi Patricia! We haven’t tried that with these cookies, so you’ll have to do a bit of experimenting. Our worry is that the cookies might crumble a lot when you try to cut them. If you’d like to give it a go, we would suggest cutting them while they’re still hot with a sharp knife so they won’t be as likely to crumble. Happy baking! Morgan@KAF

5. Betty

Hi, just tried these cookies and thought they were great. My oven required about 11-1\2 minutes which was fine. Having Celiac, I’m always looking for new recipes to try. Thank you !

6. Bete

These were delicious, especially during the holidays when my in-laws house was full of white flour cookies and cakes that I couldn’t eat! Is there a way to get rid of the salty aftertaste? I even used salt free butter. Should I use more sugar to counteract that or less or no salt? Thanks!

Hi Bete. We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed these cookies! For a cookie without a bit of salty-ness, we’d suggest leaving the salt out in addition to using the unsalted butter rather than increasing the sugar. Adding more sugar will cause the cookies to spread. We hope this helps and happy baking! Morgan@KAF

Gina, we don’t recommend substituting liquid sweeteners in this recipe. While the resulting batter will taste delicious, the cookies won’t hold together properly. Sugars are often interchangeable with some tweaks to the recipe, but for these cookies, bakers are best off sticking to the ingredients as written. We think you’ll find the results delightful! Kat@KAF

Hi there, Kim. You can find the nutritional information for this recipe on the recipe page at the bottom of the “At a Glance” box on the right-hand side of the page. Just click on the orange link, and it’ll pull that information right up for you! Happy baking! Morgan@KAF