Apple Pie Bakealong: Challenge #4

bakealong-logoWelcome to our November Bakealong challenge. Each month we’ll announce a new recipe for you to try, along with helpful tips and step-by-step instructions here in our blog. We invite you to bake, then share a photo of your creation, tagging it #bakealong. Enjoy!

Tick… tick… tick… That’s the timer ticking down to Thanksgiving, and you know what that means: pie. How are your pie crust skills? Are you roll, roll, rolling your own — or unrolling one from the supermarket? If the latter, our November Apple Pie Bakealong will give you the confidence (and step-by-step instructions) you need to make homemade pie start to finish — including the crust.

Pumpkin and apple vie for top spots on the pie chart at Americans’ Thanksgiving tables. And while pumpkin pie can be pretty formulaic, apple pie is a great opportunity to express your creativity.

Which apples do you use? What spices? Is vanilla extract your secret filling ingredient, or do you add a couple of slugs of heavy cream (or boiled cider)?

And then there’s the top crust. Do you cover your filling with an artistically slashed solid crust, or weave a lattice? Maybe you’ve developed a special crimping technique, or you decorate your pie’s top with intricately fashioned pastry apples and leaves.

Whatever your skill level, apple pie is a super opportunity to get imaginative. And our Apple Pie Bakealong encourages you to share your pie with the world! Take a photo, tag it with #bakealong, and post.

This apple pie is a show-stopper, from flaky crust to flavorful filling. #Bakealong! Click To Tweet

Let’s begin with the crust.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

There are lots of techniques for making tender, flaky pie crust — and I’ll bet I’ve tried most of them! Over the years, my crusts have ranged from hard as shoe leather, to wonderfully tender but impossible to roll out, to just this side of perfect.

I’ve tried crusts with vinegar and lemon juice, supposedly to tenderize the gluten but, in reality: bogus. I’ve made crust with vodka; it was easy to roll out, but I saw no difference in the final product.

I’ve made no-roll vegetable oil crust (not flaky, but tender and tasty); whole-grain crust; and all-butter crust (YUM, but doesn’t hold a crimp very well).

The crust I’m making here is a simple but effective combination of all-purpose flour, salt, butter, shortening, and water. The key technique is knowing how much water to add: too little and your crust won’t hold together. But too much and it’ll be hard and tough. Experience is your best teacher here; make enough pie crusts and you’ll know by look and feel when you’ve added just enough water.

If you’re not quite there yet, though, follow along with me here. And for more great tips, be sure to read our complete guide to perfect pie crust.

Mix flour and salt with shortening

Combine the following:

2 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable shortening

Work the shortening into the flour and salt until the mixture is evenly crumbly.

Add butter

Dice 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter into 1/2″ or so pieces.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflourWork the butter into the flour mixture until you have fat flakes of butter the size of a dime. Do this by hand, using a pastry blender, or check out our post, How to make pie crust in your stand mixer.

Add ice water

Next, you’re going to add 7 to 10 tablespoons ice water. Use the greater amount in winter, the lesser in summer, and something in between during the fall and spring.

Why the flexible water amounts? Because flour is like a sponge. It absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, and thus is “wetter” (and requires less liquid) on humid summer days, and drier when it’s cold and dry out.

Do the squeeze test

When the flour mixture starts to clump but hasn’t yet come together, stop adding water and assess the situation.

When you grab a handful, does it hold together easily, or does it fall apart and crumble in your hands?

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

If it holds together easily, the dough is ready.

Note: Check out how to use a spray bottle to add just the right amount of water to pie dough, outlined in our apple pie recipe online.

Divide the dough

Divide the dough in two pieces; one should be about twice as large as the other. The larger piece will be the bottom crust; the smaller piece, the top crust. Pat each piece of dough into a disk about 3/4″ thick.

Roll each disk on its edge, like a wheel, to smooth out the edges. This step will ensure your dough will roll out evenly, with fewer cracks and splits at the edges later. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out.

While the dough is in the fridge, make the filling.

Choose your apples

So many apples to choose from! I love baking with these Golden Russets, often in combination with Northern Spies. For more advice, see our post, The very best pie apples.

Here’s what you’ll need for your pie filling:

8 cups peeled, cored, sliced apples, from about 3 1/4 pounds whole apples
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup bottled boiled cider or undiluted apple juice concentrate
2 tablespoons butter, diced in small pieces, to sprinkle atop filling once it’s in the crust

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Peel, core, and slice

An apple peeler/corer/slicer makes short work of apple prep — like 15 seconds from whole apple to peeled slices!

Complete the filling

Put the apple slices in a bowl, and toss them with the lemon juice.

Next, combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, and spices.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Easiest way? In a lidded canning jar. Shake ’em up, baby!

Sprinkle the mixture over the apples, and stir to coat them. Stir in the boiled cider or apple juice concentrate.

Lightly grease a 9″ pie pan that’s at least 1 1/2″ deep. Greasing the pan will make it easier to dig out that awkward first serving.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Roll and fill the bottom crust

OK, back to the crust. Remove it from the fridge. Roll the larger piece of pastry into a 13″ circle. I’m using a silicone rolling mat here: easy rolling, hassle-free cleanup!

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Transfer the crust to the prepared pan, and trim the edges so they overlap the rim of the pan by an inch all the way around.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Spoon the apple filling into the pan. Dot the top with the 2 tablespoons diced butter.

Top crust: plain or lattice

Roll out the remaining pastry to an 11″ circle. If you’d like a plain top, transfer the dough to the top of the pie, sealing it to the bottom crust. Crimp the edges, and cut a few vent holes to release steam as the pie bakes.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

If you choose to make a lattice crust, cut the rolled-out pastry in 3/4″ strips.

Use the strips to weave a lattice, which is easier seen than explained; please watch our video, How to weave a lattice pie crust.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Believe it or not, in all the decades I’ve been baking, I’d never made a lattice crust. Pretty nice, huh?

Add some final touches

Brush the crust with water, milk, or cream; milk or cream will give the crust a darker finish.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Sprinkle the crust with coarse white sparkling sugar, if desired; this will give it a pretty, glittery finish. Put the pie in the refrigerator to chill for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 425°F while your pie is in the fridge. If you have a baking stone, put the stone on the floor of the oven, or on the lowest shelf.

Bake until bubbling

Put the pie on a parchment-lined baking sheet to catch any drips. Then put the pan on the baking stone (or on the lowest rack of the oven).

Bake the pie for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F and bake for 40 minutes more, until you see the filling bubbling inside the pie. Let the filling bubble for a good 10 minutes; this will ensure it thickens properly.

If the edge of the crust appears to be browning too quickly, shield it with aluminum foil, or a pie crust shield.

Apple Pie Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Remove the pie from the oven. Don’t be dismayed by the syrup pooled around the edges; that’s exactly what your pie should look like, evidence of sufficient baking to thicken the filling.

Let the apple pie cool

Wait until the pie cools completely before cutting and serving. If you cut into the hot pie immediately, the juices will seep from the filling into the bottom of the pan; some of the apples may slump out, too.

If you want to serve warm pie, let it cool, then reheat individual slices in the microwave; or reheat the entire pie in a 350°F oven for 20 minutes or so. The apples will have reabsorbed their juice, and a short reheat in the oven won’t result in any further filling floods.

There! Are you ready to bake an apple pie? Give it your best, then share via #bakealong. To get you started, here’s a printable copy of our Apple Pie recipe. We can’t wait to see your stellar creation!

We hope you’ve enjoyed this Bakealong Challenge; once you’ve baked your masterpiece, remember to post its picture, hashtag: #bakealong. And be sure to check back on Dec. 1 for our next challenge, a classic Midwestern holiday pastry that’ll surely jingle your bells!

comments

1. Viv

I’ve always feared the top crust and used struesel for topping, LOL. But since your first lattice turned out so beautifully, I think I’d like to give it a shot. Crossing my fingers and toes!

2. Monica

PJ, I’ m already a step ahead! My Thanksgiving apple pie is already in the freezer, unbaked. I’ll take it out of the freezer on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and put it in the fridge to thaw, and bake it on Thanksgiving morning. I used the recipe above, with a mixture of Macouns and Cortlands, boiled cider, and Instant Clear Jell for the thickener. I’ve made this recipe every year for a few years now, and it is, hands down, the best apple pie ever. I borrowed a suggestion from a previous Flourish blog, and sprinkled some panko crumbs over the bottom crust to absorb some of the juices. Unfortunately, this year’s pie isn’t going to be the prettiest, as I misjudged the amount of dough for the bottom crust (made it too big), so ended up having to fold the excess bottom over the too short top. Looks a little weird, but will probably still be delicious. Everyone should make this apple pie recipe at least once, because it’s a winner!

1. Joyce Santoro

Do you find your apples “shrink” when you bake your pie? I make an apple dish that is similar to apple pie without a crust. It seems the apples get soft and shrink if I freeze the apples first. How do you prevent this since you freeze your pie before baking?

Than k you in advance.

If you find your apples tend to shrink during baking, consider pre-baking or sautéing the apples to help them release some of their moisture before adding the other filling ingredients. Even easier? Heat them in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes on low, and allow them to cool before proceeding with the recipe. If your apples release lots of juice during this process, consider heating just the juice to reduce it into a syrup. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Feel free to use your little finger, Rachel if you want a smaller crimp on your crust. You can also press just the tip of one pointer finger on the inside, and your thumb and forefinger pressed together in a little triangle on the outside to make a uniform design. Check out our blog about Pie crust decorating basics for more ideas and photos to help guide you. Happy pie baking! Kye@KAF

3. Kay

Is there any way KAF would sell smaller bottles of the Boiled Cider? I have a bottle that’s been in my fridge for years because you only need a tiny bit per recipe and I’m worried that it is not longer good to use. It’d be nice to have smaller bottles for infrequent users.

This apple pie looks great! I will have to try it out.

Thanks for sharing this request with us, Kay. While the vendor only makes one size of boiled cider at this time, we’ll be sure to pass this feedback along to see if there’s a possibility of offering a smaller size in the future. In the meantime, if you store your opened boiled cider in the fridge, it should be good to use for quite a while. Feel free to add a few tablespoons to the next recipe you make — it will boost the flavor! Kye@KAF

2. sandy

Is it really just boiled cider? If so, I think I’ll try to make my own. Boiling cider doesn’t seem too difficult. Will report back…

3. Sara S

@Sandy. I recently boiled my own. It’s very easy. Bought a gallon of fresh cider (no chem additives) simmered for 2 hours, turned off the stove while I went out, upon my return simmered until syrupy (about 2 more hours), ran through sieve. Yield was a little under 3 cups.

I brought some to a friend who already had some of the boiled cider that KAF sells and compared. Both were excellent though somewhat different.

4. Michael Prine

You could freeze the boiled just in a ice cube tray and store in a zip lock bag. Can put some ice cubes in adult beverage.
      Hope this helps. I hate buying items and not be able use.

4. Larry

Made the pie crust with a mix of oat flour and AP. Used all butter (2 steps in adding butter. Great role out and taste. Slightly precooked apples mix in pan for 5 min to soften them up. Also heated up juice and reduced liquid then added clear gel product to thicken (instead of corn starch). Returned to apples mix and then into pie once cool. All worked out great.

5. susan

I just made apple hand pies with a rough puff pastry shell. That may have to suffice. Rough puff pastry is my new favorite pastry

6. Christine

Would it be possible to prep this pie ahead of time, freeze , thaw and cook on Thanksigving day? I have the worlds tiniest oven and need to plan my oven time with stadegy. Thanks!

Of course, make and bake ahead is brilliant! You might thaw the night before Thanksgiving in the refrigerator, then re-warm in the oven while you’re enjoying dinner for fresh baked pie goodness. Enjoy the holiday baking! Irene@KAF

1. Barbara Alpern

Stephen, we don’t test our recipes with sugar substitutes, so can’t offer advice on this, but perhaps other bakers have tried this? We recommend following the baking directions provided with the type of sugar substitute you like to use. Barb@KAF

7. Nancy lawlor

With vegan granddaughters at our thanksgiving table,apple pie is perfect for them to share. I use all Crisco like we used to do in the fifties and don’t dot with butter. Grampa still gets his apple pie and so do the girls.That old crisco crust wasn’t so bad!!love your lattice,will try this year,thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

1. Barbara Alpern

Anita, shortening is a type of vegetable fat that is solid at room temperature. Crisco is a brand of vegetable shortening often used in baking in America. Vegetable oil won’t work quite the same way, because it’s a liquid. Butter or leaf lard can often be substituted for shortening in pie crust recipes. Here’s our All-Butter Pie Crust recipe, if you can’t find shortening. This recipe will work great for making this apple pie! Barb@KAF

8. Dawn Williamson

HELP!!! I have LOTS of apples I sliced and froze last year. How do I go about making an apple pie with them?? The last time I used some, I let them thaw, then proceeded with my pie recipie. After it baked, the apples were pretty chewy, almost leathery in texture. What can I do to make it better? Or do I just need to use my frozen apples for something other than pie?? Any suggestions would be most helpful!!

Dawn, you might want to consider combining some of your frozen apples with some fresh apples to give the filling some extra moistness and texture in your pie filling. Frozen apples are great for making applesauce (or you can even freeze applesauce already made next season). You can try cooking the thawed apples gently and adding some apple juice to the mixture to help re-hydrate and bring them back to life. Other recipes that might be good options for frozen apples are Apple Cinnamon Scones, Apple Muffins, or Apple Cinnamon Bars. In these recipes, apples are the star but they’re supported by other tasty ingredients that will ensure a pleasant texture. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Jessica, this recipe is for a 9″ pie pan that’s at least two inches deep. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

9. Linda Mosley

I follow an excellent recipe in the Southern Living Annual Recipes book that uses 1 cup of Splenda Granular sugar. and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon. It calls for the no-calorie sweetener, flour, and cinnamon to be stirred together. Sprinkle one-fourth of the flour mixutre over the apples, tossing to coat and the remaining mixture over the top of the apples. I use 3/4 cup of Splenda and Granny Apples. It is delicious.

10. Jane Greene

I have been drying a variety of hierloom apples in a dehydrator. While the dehydrator is not traditional, drying apples for winter use is traditional here in Appalachia. I would like to try using my dried apples to make a pie. Any suggestions?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jane, I’ve heard of dried apple pies, though I’ve personally never made one. I found this recipe for dried apple pie — I think you could use their technique for hydrating, and apply it to our Bakealong recipe here. Good luck! PJH

11. Karen I Ford

Living on the West Coast, finding any apple not grown in the State of Washington, is hard. I truly miss the unique varieties available having grown up in NY State. I like using two or more varieties of apples in my pies and love the boiled cider as it gives a richer flavor to the ones available here. Granny Smith, Fuji, and Rome Beauties are the ones that are easiest to find here.
    Like the use of sparkling sugar as a topping for the pie so will try that on my next pie.

12. Gayle

My father started working in a bakery in 1918 at the age of 9. He spent his life working in a bakery. He taught me to make pie crust and I have been making crust for over 45 years. The most important thing in your directions is about how much ice water to use. If someone new to pie crust will reread your directions about the water, and keep trying until they get the hang of it, they will make the best pies in their family. I try to put my crust in the refrigerator for at least 30 min. before I roll it out. My grandkids look forward to my pies, and I look forward to their smiles….

You’ve inherited quite a pie-making legacy, Gene! How wonderful that you’re passing it along to your grandchildren too. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

13. Shirley Crawford

I recently made apple pie with this recipe, first time I ever made my own pie crust. I used my stand mixer and it worked beautifully. This was by far the best looking and the best tasting apple pie I ever made. Served it to guests and it got rave reviews.
    Thanks so much for the great and easy crust and filling recipes!

14. Susie J

I love making apple pie. Can you explain why it is best to place the prepared pie in the refrigerator prior to baking?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Susie, this gives the fat in the pie crust a chance to chill and solidify. When it goes into the oven, the fat stays solid long enough for the flour/water around it to set, which is what yields a flaky crust. Bottom line: chilling your pie prior to baking helps ensure a flaky crust. PJH

15. Kay Myers

My apple pie recipe that I tore from a Virginia newspaper 25 years ago calls for an egg, vinegar, butter, and shortening with the flour.. tasty and flaky. I use tapioca flour for a thickener, no aftertaste and cooks up clear.
    Use about as much as you would with cornstarch.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Thanks for the tips, Kay — it’s wonderful when you find a recipe you like, and stick with it. Lifetime friend! 🙂 PJH

2. Megan Patent-Nygren

I, too, use an egg and a splash of vinegar but with an all-butter crust I make in the food processor. My food science and culinary friends have a great time comparing the science behind tender, flaky pie crusts and all of the ways we learned to make pie crust from our mothers and grandmothers.

16. Marianne P.

I use a mixture of Granny Smith and sweeter apples like golden delicious or Fuji. I find that red delicious are not flavorful enough and honey crisp (my absolute favorite for just eating an apple!) produce too much juice. I’ve used KAF perfect pastry blend for the crust for few years now and won’t make a pie without it. For thickener I use tapioca rather than flour, both sprinkled on bottom crust and mixed in with my spices. I’ll watch your video, but I’ve never had luck making a lattice, so I use an apple cutout form for the top crust, brush with egg yolk mixed with a bit of water and sprinkle, generously, with your sparkling white sugar, YUMMMM!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Marianne, sounds like you have this apple pie thing nailed! Thanks for sharing — especially the tip about sprinkling tapioca into the bottom of the crust before adding the filling. Very smart. I’d never made a lattice before writing this blog post, but found it wasn’t as complicated as I thought, and it came out very well. You might want to give it a try sometime — in fact, you could do a lattice across the pie, then add your cutouts around the edge. Enjoy — PJH

Debbi, the advantage to using our Pie Filling Enhancer is that it has added ascorbic acid (a flavor enhancer), and superfine sugar, which prevents it from clumping. Pie Filling Enhancer is about half sugar; so you’ll want to reduce the sugar by about 1/4 cup, taking the total amount of sugar down to 1/2 cup in this recipe. In place of both the flour and cornstarch, we’d suggest using between 5-8 Tbsp of Pie Filling Enhancer, depending on how thick you like your filling. Mollie@KAF

17. Toni Holguin

Your lattice crust came out beautiful. I’ve never used one on an apple pie, always use it for berry pies. I think it would be really great on the cranberry apple pie recipe recently reposted.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Toni, you’re right – those cranberries peeking through the lattice would add a nice touch of bright color. I say go for it. And thanks for the compliment on my lattice — I was totally surprised how well it came out! 🙂 PJH

18. Jennifer H.

As a novice pie crust maker but also someone that is particular about the flavor of pie crust, I was wondering if it was possible to describe the flavor of the crust? I often find homemade crust tastes dull or are flavorless. Is it possible to add any spice to the crust? Maybe cinnamon and/or nutmeg?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jennifer, I love the flavor of homemade pie crust, this one included. Store-bought pie crust is indeed insipid; but this one tastes like browned butter: nutty, rich, with notes of caramelization as well. It’s certainly fine to add any kind of spice, but how about trying it as is first? You may find you like it simply as it is, in all its buttery glory. PJH

19. Carol

I put up 4 quarts of apple pie filling today and used the rest for a pie. Used Splenda for my sweetener and it worked just fine. Thank you for the tutorial on making a lattice crust top. Mine came out pretty. Great aplenty pie; practice for the holidays!

20. Cindy

No one has addressed the following, I followed the recipe all the way down to placing my 25yr old pizza stone on the bottom off the oven and placing the parchment covered pan on top with the pie…I just heard it break. What is the reason for using it and what might I have done to prevent it from breaking? Pie is still baking can’t wait to sample it!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Cindy, so sorry about your stone! It sounds like you may have laid your room-temperature stone onto the hot floor of the oven? I keep my stone on the floor of my oven full time, and it heats and cools gradually as the oven heats and cools. If you put the cold stone onto a hot piece of steel (oven floor), I suspect that’s the reason it broke. Either that or it simply had lived its useful life and was telling you it’s time for a new stone. 🙂 I hope you enjoyed the pie — PJH

2. shannon

What I think happened is the cold pie plate on the hot stone proved too much…..I’m taking my pie out of the fridge now and will see it this too happens.

21. Tellou

This pie is gorgeous! Thanks for the recipe. My only comment would be it’s a bit too sweet. But this is a common thing from most US recipes. I always have to cut down the quantity of sugar. Obviously you have a much sweeter tooth than european bakers :))

Maple syrup is much sweeter than boiled cider, so if you don’t have any boiled cider on hand we recommend using undiluted apple juice concentrate instead. This will help boost the apple flavor. Kye@KAF

22. Lyn C

A quick question. I’ve got “orders” in for Thanksgiving apple pies so of course this works with this month’s bakealong! I happen to have a bit of KAF’s Queen Guinivere (I assume low protein) cake floor left that should be used. I don’t know if you used that before it was discontinued. If so, should I use it straight, mix it with all purpose, or make any other changes? Thanks and happy Thanksgiving.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

You can use it straight if you like, Lyn – I suspect with its lower gluten the pastry will be more fragile, a bit harder to handle, but should make a really tender crust. You’ll probably want to adjust the water downwards a bit to account for that lower protein. Good luck — PJH

23. Lyn C

I thought I should get back to you on the results. Worked great! Loved this pie (and did everyone who ate it!). I put 2/3 cup all purpose with 1 2/3 cup guinivere because I was not sure I was experienced enough with something “hard to handle”. It still took a careful hand but in the end resulted in a terrific crust. But it was a little too delicate to do the braid decorations that some of the bakealong folks did….I’m a braider so I wanted to do this, but the dough broke too easily. Oh well. The tips on spraying the dough to bring it together just right were super useful….thank you. And the tip to use tapioca in an earlier comment….I tried that…yes! thank you. I assembled my pie the evening before Thanksgiving so I just had to bake it the next day and I think the tapioca layer may have helped to keep the crust from getting soggy overnight in the refrigerator. All in all a great “bakealong”.

24. Megan Patent-Nygren

The conversation here is excellent, and I have little additional to add, except that I am a devotee of KAF’s Pastry Flour for all my pie crusts. 🙂

25. Krissy Barry

I baked my pie the night before Thanksgiving. It looked beautiful, but it was very runny. How do I get the filling to thicken up more? Add more cornstarch?

Krissy, try increasing the thickener in the recipe (cornstarch and/or flour). Also, letting the pie rest overnight (and even chilling it) can help the filling thicken. The apples tend to re-absorb the juice as they sit. Happy pie baking! Kye@KAF

26. Hank Arnold

Nice to have the pics here….

Question, I’ve tried flour, cornstarch, tapioca and I ALWAYS have much more liquid than shown here before adding to the pie crust.

Any ideas what the heck is happening here?

Thanks!!

Hank, different varieties of apple have differing moisture contents, as do fresh vs. stored apples, so this might play a role. You’ll also tend to see more pooled liquid the longer your uncooked filling sits. In addition to experimenting with different pie filling thickeners, you might try pre-cooking your filling a bit – either on the stove top or in the microwave to help evaporate off some of the moisture that can otherwise turn your filling runny. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

27. JIWA

Well, my son missed my last apple pie. I never do well with crust. Always soggy at the bottom.So I decided to go looking for another recipe. This one one stuck out. I don’t have access to the recommended apples. I used 2 granny smith, 3 gala and 3 jonagolds and a fuji. I never peel the apples. Otherwise I followed the recipe, including crust. Very nice. Still a little undercooked on the crust bottom–but the top would be way overcooked if I let it cook any longer. Delicious. Thank you

We’re glad to hear you gave this recipe a try! To ensure your bottom crust browns fully next time, you can try putting your pie pan closer to the bottom heating element by placing the pie on the lowest rack in the oven. Or you can also try using a pie pan like one of our 9 Inch Pie Pan that has a corrugated bottom to allow air circulation and more even baking. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

28. Haley

As a pie novice, I have had great success with this recipe and the tutorials- thank you!!! I want to make it for thanksgiving this year and am wondering if it would be ok to make the day before? Would you just let it cool and then keep it in the refrigerator over night? Thanks!

We’re glad to hear you’ve been on a roll with your baking, Haley. Congrats! You can make your apple pie the day before and let it rest at room temperature until the next day, well-wrapped. Consider rewarming the pie before serving. If there are any leftovers (there probably won’t be, it’s so delicious!) you should store them in the fridge for a few days (or until they disappear). Kye@KAF