Pizza Party Buns Bakealong: Challenge #6

bakealong-logoWelcome to our January Bakealong challenge. Each month, we’ll announce a new recipe for you to try, along with helpful tips and step-by-step instructions here on our blog. We invite you to bake, then share a photo of your creation, tagging it #bakealong. Enjoy!

Now that the holidays are over, let’s take a break from sugar for awhile, shall we? Not a long while; because really, life without chocolate is just too daunting. But the heart of winter is the perfect time to turn to the savory side of baking.

This #bakealong challenge features a pizza party in roll form! Click To Tweet

Pizza Party Buns Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

And what, exactly, are Pizza Party Buns? Think cinnamon bun technique, but pizza filling. These light, airy buns are swirled with pepperoni and mozzarella atop a base of marinara sauce, making them the ideal party snack: pizza bun in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, there’s no need at all to juggle a plate and flatware.

With plenty of big football games coming up, plus all kinds of other reasons to gather your friends and party, it’s time to perfect these Party Pizza Buns — and to share your taste-tempting pictures (#bakealong) with bakers around the country.

Study the following step-by-step directions — then go forth and bake!

Pizza Party Buns bakealong: make the dough

Combine the following:

1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups (14 3/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
2 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

What if all you have is unbleached all-purpose flour? While the buns may not rise quite as high, go ahead and use it; they’ll taste perfectly fine.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Mix everything together — by hand, using a stand mixer, or in a bread machine — to make a rough dough.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Knead the dough until it’s smooth.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Cover the bowl to protect the dough from drafts, and to keep it moist. An inexpensive plastic shower cap is an ideal bowl cover.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Let the dough rise until it’s just about twice the size it started, which will take about 90 minutes, maybe a bit longer if your house is cool.

Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface; a silicone rolling mat works well here.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Flatten the dough into a rectangle

Roll/pat the dough into a 12″ x 18″ rectangle. Try to make the corners as square as possible; this will keep the buns on each end from becoming misshapen.

Gather your filling ingredients:

1/2 cup of your favorite pizza sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Monterey Jack cheese, Cabot preferred; or the pizza cheese of your choice
4 ounces (about 1 cup) chopped or shredded pepperoni

Top the dough

Spread the sauce atop the crust, then sprinkle the cheese evenly over the sauce.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Top with the shredded pepperoni.

OK, timeout. What if you don’t like pepperoni, or are baking for a vegetarian crowd? Feel free to use your own favorite pizza toppings, with this caveat: make sure they’re pre-cooked, and shredded/diced into small pieces.

Roll into a log

Starting with a long end, roll the dough into a log.

Cut the buns

Cut the log into 12 to 18 pieces, depending on how large you want the buns to be. I like to mark the dough with a sharp knife …

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

… then use dental floss to cut it. Loop the floss underneath the log, then pull the ends up and in opposite directions; they’ll slice right through the dough without squashing it, filling and all.

Space on baking sheets

Space the rounds on two parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheets. If you’ve cut 12 rounds, flatten them gently to about 1″ tall.

How to make Pizza Party Buns. Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Give the buns enough room to rise and spread out a bit.

Let rise

Cover the pans, and allow the buns to rise for 60 to 90 minutes, until they’re nicely puffed.

Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Bake and serve warm

Bake the buns for about 25 to 30 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Don’t over-bake; better they’re soft and tender than tough and dry.

Remove the buns from the oven, and serve warm, with extra pizza sauce if desired.

Make the rolls ahead, if you like; they store well for several days in the refrigerator. To serve, lay them on a baking sheet, tent with foil, and reheat in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or so, until warm.

Pizza Party Buns Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

And there you have it — our Pizza Party Buns Bakealong, a delectable way to shake off your holiday sugar habit!

We hope you’ve enjoyed this Bakealong Challenge; once you’ve baked your masterpiece, remember to post its picture, hashtag: #bakealong. And be sure to check back on Feb. 1 for our next challenge, a new (dark chocolate) twist on a classic make-at-home bakery pastry.

comments

1. Chris Smith

I was looking at the recipe and the comments to see if these could be frozen. It looks, from the comments, as though the recipe has been changed to include the sauce in the roll as the advice in the comments is to freeze before the sauce is added. Can these still be frozen?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Yes, Chris, these freeze very nicely. The amount of sauce in this updated version is so minimal that there’s no issue with it becoming watery. Enjoy — PJH

1. Linda Stone

I was taught in Home Economics class (back in the 1960’s) to use this cutting technique using sewing thread. No worries about “flavored” or “unflavored”.

2. Heike Kubasch

What’s the best way of reheating these after they have been frozen? Is it possible to parbake these rolls?
    I was also wondering if it is possible to substitute crumbled, cooked Italian sausage for pepperoni.

Sausage for pepperoni–no problem. Just be sure it is crumbled into small pieces so the dough can still be rolled up nicely. If you freeze the baked buns, you can let them come to room temperature (still wrapped in plastic) for a few hours. You can then follow the re-heating instructions given here (To serve, lay them on a baking sheet, tent with foil, and reheat in a 350°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes or so, until warm.). Happy baking! Kye@KAF

3. Kay

Putting anything into rolls like this instantly makes it better. Great way to make party food and impress your non-baker friends (baker friends will be slightly less impressed, but will still appreciate your efforts).

4. Monica

These look fabulous. I.d like to double this recipe – eat some now, freeze some for later. Should I double the amount of yeast, too?

Monica, feel free double the yeast if you’re looking for a fast rise (1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons), or you can use slightly less (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon), if you’re looking for a slower rise and a more flavorful dough. Either way will work, just be sure to watch your dough and move on to the next step when it has roughly doubled in size. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

5. Chris Summers

PJ you are always inspirational! I have company coming this weekend and looking for a way to utilize this week’s sourdough starter discard. How much starter would you sub into this recipe?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Thanks, Chris! I’d substitute 1 cup of starter, reducing the flour in the recipe by 1 cup, and the liquid by 1/2 cup. Enjoy! PJH

2. Chris Summers

I did sub in 1/4 of the total ounces of flour & milk… so 5.5 oz of starter, then used 3/4 of the recipe volume of milk & flour. I used pesto instead of pizza sauce, and goat’s milk cheddar instead of mozzarella. They turned out great!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jeanne, I’d just cut up the finished buns – maybe 6 wedges from each bun. Or, if you’re feeling really “crafty,” you can try dividing the dough into a few pieces, rolling them into really really really narrow rectangles, adding fillings, and rolling up the long way so you have extra-thin logs. You can then snip the logs into what will turn out to be two-bite pieces. Good luck — PJH

6. Beth Booker

I make something like this in a muffin pan. Keeps the rolls nice and soft. Italian tomato paste is my thin layer of “pizza sauce.”

Now I’m thinking of a New Years resolution to do the bake along challenge each month in 2017z

We can’t think of a better resolution! We’re thrilled to hear you’ll be baking along with us, Beth! Kye@KAF

7. Barbara

How about fruit filled? Maybe dried cherries or dried berry mix with cream cheese.
    We have pot luck after playing cards all day at the senior center. No way to reheat pizza rounds.

Feel free to put a sweet spin on these buns if you like, Barbara. You could use some jam to spread on the dough and then sprinkle with dried fruit. Enjoy! Kye@KAF

8. EL

For a different take on these: The Moscow, Idaho Food Co-op used to make these using two different types of pesto and cheese on top (I think mozzarella, but might have been parmesan or romano to go with the pestos). They were always incredible! They used both basic pesto (basil, romano, pine-nuts) and a tomato pesto. I don’t know if they still are making them, but they were great. I don’t think anyone ever cared that these pesto rolls did not contain meat. You had to get there early to get them as they generally sold out fast.

Because pesto is oily rather than watery, they would probably freeze well. With all the good commercial pesto available, they should be pretty easy to make.

1. TH

Hey, EL, yes, the Moscow Food Co-op still makes pesto-cheese rolls, now in regular (large) and small sizes. And they’re still a hit with virtually everyone!
      When my son comes over from Seattle, he makes a special trip to get as many pesto-cheese rolls as possible to take back with him. I know he isn’t the only one to do that!

2. Connie Barron Cruse

So, follow these instructions and spread pesto, and cheeese? I/2 cup pesto? These sound so delicious, which cheese is your best guess that the Moscow co op used? Thanks

3. EL

Hi Connie: I tried to reply earlier. Keep in mind that I have never made these and I haven’t had them in about 7 — 8 years (or more). I remember them being incredibly gooey and cheesy (almost too much at times — I was generally only able to eat about 1/2 roll at a time). So what I think they did was spread the pesto and either add mozzarella or extra romano in the roll. It seemed to me that they added some cheese to the top as well. I think that if I were making them, I’d do about what you suggested and then “cheese” the top with either romano or mozarella (the grateable mozarella, not fresh in this case).

9. Penelope

I don’t understnad how to share pics with hashtag.
    Where can I view them?
    Even if I cant share mine, can I still see the others?

Thanks for asking, Penelope! If you post your pictures on Instagram or Twitter, you can use #bakealong in the caption and that will guarantee we’ll see it! (It’s free to create an account on either platform.) If you just want to see what others are baking without posting yourself, you can scrolls down to the bottom of our Bakealong landing page to see lots of inspiring shots! I hope that helps! Kye@KAF

10. Melissa

Made these today to take to a Steeler party. I baked both pans at the same time. Should I have switched and rotated them half way? I didn’t and one pan is a little darker than the other.

For even results, it helps to rotate the pans in your oven halfway through baking. It sounds like this may have helped with the batch you made. We bet they were still delicious! Kye@KAF

11. Andree Sanborn

Off topic: but where in the world did you get that shower cap? They are better than saran wrap because you can re-use them. But I only find heavy, printed ones in our dollar store in Orleans, and they don’t fit most of our bowls. Thanks!

Andree, sometimes it can be difficult to hunt down shower caps; but that’s why we sell a Set of 10 Bowl Covers, which are perfect for the job of covering rising dough! They’re food grade so you can re-use them as many times as you like. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

2. Lynette from Ohio

Andree, I’ve been saving the thin, clear plastic shower caps that hotels have as part of the complimentary toiletries and using those for bowl covers for many years. I’m pretty sure it was PJ’s suggestion I read in a KAF blog a long time ago. They work great; they’re free; and since they don’t actually touch the dough, I see no reason to be concerned about “food grade”. You can reuse them a number of times before the elastic gets loose; at that point, I simply throw that one away and use a new one from my stash!

3. Monica B

Try your gym if you belong to one, or next time you stay at a hotel. They both have this type of shower cap.

4. Judith Gosbee

Hotels and motels often give free shower caps with the toiletries in the rooms. Just save them from your stays.

12. Lisa

Confession: I want so badly to take this challenge but am SO afraid of using yeast and not being able to have a successful dough. 30+ years ago I had some failures with homemade dough and gave up.

Thanks for confiding in us, Lisa. We have just the thing you’ll need to conquer your fear of yeast: our Yeast Baking 101 Guide. It walks you through everything you’ll need to know, from what kind of yeast to use to how to achieve the best rise in your dough. It also includes tips for troubleshooting in case things don’t go as expected. And as always, our full team of friendly bakers are here on the hotline ready to help should you need it: 855-371-BAKE(2253). We hope you bake along with us! Kye@KAF

2. chicook13

Lisa, I’m not a professional baker or anything but I’ve been in your shoes. One thing I suggest is to trust King Arthur Flour! Their recipes are easy to follow, which makes it easier to bake. The main thing, though, is to use their products. They are a bit more expensive but ever since I switched to using KAF products, I never have to throw out a failed attempt!!! In the end it costs less (since I’m not wasting tons of ingredients).

It truly does make a difference. Give it a try – I highly doubt you’ll be sorry.

13. Christine Nelson

You can find the shower caps at “Dollar Tree”…they come 10 to a pack. I have used them for years. I usually purchase 2 packs at a time, just in case they quit carrying them. They do, however, last indefinitely. Not sure if you have a “Dollar Tree” in your area, but you could google it to find out.

14. Monica

Update! I doubled the recipe using the lesser amount of yeast (Thanks, Kye!), and the dough more than doubled in an hour. Divided the dough in half and used pepperoni in one roll, and hard salami in the other. I made 24 rolls altogether and baked them on one giant pan, so they would stay soft-sided. Everyone loved them. I must be doing something wrong on Instagram, though, because I posted a picture with the #bake along and it does not appear on your Bakealong landing page. I can bake, but I’m no techie!

We’re so glad to hear it was a success, Monica! Make sure you use “#bakealong” instead of two words (#bake along) and it will be up on our page in no time! Kye@KAF

15. Leah

I used to make something similar years ago, but now I am inspired to do so again! First, a response about the shower caps — I love using them & and make a point of collecting them when traveling. Secondly, I don’t use Instagram or Twitter other, so can I share photos another way? I have done some of the other bake alongs, but had no way to “show” my results, just mention them. I look forward to each month’s challenge.

Leah, if you use Facebook you can also share them on our page there! We look forward to seeing your bakealong results! Kye@KAF

16. Beth Stefano

Your bake along sounds like fun but I live alone and have to eat gluten free. I’ve never tried baking gf with yeast. It sounds hazardous.

Beth, we’d love to have you join in on our Bakealong fun! Baking gluten-free with yeast can be easy and delicious, we promise. This recipe isn’t suited to being made gluten-free, but we hope you’ll consider making our Gluten-Free Pizza Crust instead. You can top with all you favorite veggies, cheeses, and meats. Yum! Kye@KAF

17. Mom2MarPat

I baked these for our Christmas Eve appetizer, so I made them a tad smaller (got 19 rolls) and they were delicious! I did “cook” the sliced pepperoni for about 20 seconds in the microwave, so I could get rid of the excess oil, before chopping. If I had known this would be a Bake Along for January, I would have taken photos! 🙁

If you’d like to make something that’s gluten-free and full of cheese, pizza sauce, and your other favorite toppings, consider using our Gluten-Free Pizza Crust recipe instead. This recipe isn’t suited to being made gluten-free, but we think you’ll be much more pleased with the results of the GF pizza. Enjoy! Kye@KAF

18. NJBakerGirl

I’d like to make veggie pizza rounds, the instructions suggest pre-cooking but how long would you suggest pre-cooking mushrooms, broccoli, onions? Until they are just wilted than drained of excess liquids? Looking forward to the next football game and having the family dine on these! Thanks for such a great recipe.

Veggie Pizza Party Buns sounds delicious! Start by sautéing the onions over low heat until they’re tender (5 minutes at least) so they can begin to caramelize. Next add the broccoli, cook for another 3 minutes then add the mushroom for another 5. These aren’t hard and fast rules, and you’re welcome to play around with cooking time to achieve the texture you’re looking for, but you should shoot for veggies that are slightly soft but still hold their shape. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

19. Craig Cranston

Oh my word! These are fantastic! I’m going to make them this week! I’ve been searching for savory party treats for a month and this is one of the best so far if not the best!

20. Samantha

I’ve made a similar version of this recipe but with a buffalo chicken twist. Stir buffalo wing sauce into cooked shredded chicken (diced chicken works also); add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Spread a layer of blue cheese dressing over the pizza dough, top with the buffalo chicken and a layer of shredded cheddar-jack cheese. Super yummy. You could also do a ranch dressing/barbecue sauce version if you don’t like spicy foods.

Thanks for sharing this request with us, Kate. We love using weights to measure ingredients as well, so all of these quantities are available to you when you click on the recipe link, and then select either “ounces” or “grams” underneath the ingredients header. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

If you’d like to make the dough ahead of time, you can prepare the dough and put it in the fridge to rise overnight (max. 12-16 hours). If it’s left any longer than this, you might not get as full of a rise when you go to shape the buns the next day. The buns can also be prepared all the way through shaping and then put in the fridge to proof overnight, baked the next day. We hope this gives you some flexibility with your schedule. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

21. Mike

I have a great tomato pizza sauce I make for home made pizza that I would like to share. The best part is that it is not sweet like many of the store bought sauces.

Any left overs make a great tomato sauce for pasta too!

28 oz can crushed tomatoes, ( try to find fire roasted)
    2Tbs olive oil
    1 Tbs chopped garlic, ( more if preferred)
    1.5 Tbs Oregano, Basil, and Marjoram
    Pinch plus of red pepper flakes

Lightly saute garlic in oil. Add spices and stir. Add crushed tomatoes. Heat on low for ~ 20 minutes to heat and blend flavors. Good stuff!

1. Mike

Sure does!
      I buy medium hot Italian sausage from the local market that I brown and use on my pizza. The remainder, I dump into the leftover sauce and you have instant home made spaghetti sauce for the next day!

Sure thing, Nan. We’d recommend using White Whole Wheat Flour because it has a higher protein content and will give these buns the structure they needs to stay together and rise well. You may need to add slightly more milk in order to hydrate the dough–try adding two teaspoons and letting the dough rest for 15 minutes after mixing before beginning to knead the dough. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

22. Jan Davis

can you use your pizza dough flavor in this recipe? How much would you use? Thanks can’t wait to make them for my bridge club. Jan

23. Doris K

PJ just a note for the gluten free bakers following along. They would do better to follow the recipe for gluten free cinnamon rolls for making the dough, then do the savory filling suggested and use a muffin pan as suggested in the recipe for cinnamon rolls for the 2nd rise. And bake the 25-30 minutes as suggested. Also if they use the Measure for Measure flour mix there would be no need for the additional xantham or guar gum called for in the recipe.

Thanks for the suggestion, Doris. Just a quick reminder that we Measure for Measure is specially formulated to be a 1:1 sub for the AP in non-yeasted treats. We do not recommend using it in yeasted recipes, or in designed-to-be gluten-free recipes like the cinnamon rolls you mention. We’d suggest sticking with our Gluten-Free Flour if you’re interested in giving this twist a try. Mollie@KAF

Grant, just click on the name at the top of the blog article to get to the recipe page itself–from there you can print just the recipe. Mollie@KAF

2. Grant mitman

I liked the step by step in the article that was not in the recipe .. I guess I can save it in a PDF and print those pages

24. Nancy Curran

Can I use KAF Pizza Flour Blend in place of the bread flour in this recipe? Do I need to make any modifications?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Nancy, the pizza flour blend should work just fine, no modifications necessary. Enjoy – PJH

Anthony, it might help to think of these more like a savory cinnamon bun than like a pizza. If you overfill them, they could ooze out the top of bottom, but otherwise the bottoms will just very lightly brown. Mollie@KAF

25. Anne

We’re lactose free…I use Daiya cheese for our pizza, but usually use water for the dough. Do you think almond milk would make a soft dough? Thanks!

Anne, almond milk, rice milk and soy milk should all make for a nice, soft dough. Water can also be used if you prefer to keep the dough more basic. Mollie@KAF

26. David

Great article, please consider posting flour amounts by weight versus volume in the recipe. Helps us be much more precise when we’re trying these out. Thanks!

We wholeheartedly agree, David. When you visit the recipe page itself, you’ll see that we offer the option to view the ingredient measurements by volume, ounces, or grams. Hope this helps! Mollie@KAF

Denise, milk adds tenderness and aids in browning, but if you prefer to use water, you can certainly do that as well! Mollie@KAF

27. Cindy Duncan

Let’s say I just want to make a pizza with this recipe work as well as your pizza recipes, if so how large a pan if I used a cookie sheet or a round pizza pan would either work, 3rd request for an answer

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Sorry it’s taken you three tries to reach us, Cindy — I’d use a large baking sheet (18″ x 13″) or two round 12″ pans for this recipe, which will make thick-crust pizza(s). For thinner crust, use two 14″ round pans. Enjoy — PJH

28. Dave

P.J. These are great. A few of the chain pizza places in the southwest Ohio area have been selling them for about a year. Try these with Bar-B-Qued chicken. Cut your chicken into smaller pieces.
    What a great way to involve children, of all ages.

29. Nancy Mock

Heed well the advice not to overfill! I found out the hard way, but salvaged them and managed to keep all the filling inside. When all the filling ingredients look so good it’s so tempting just to keep piling them on!
    I divided the dough into thirds and made 3 varieties to take to a party. Thanks for making these buns the Bakealong this month!

30. Nigel

I used your Sprouted Wheat Flour in place of the Bread Flour and the dough did not come together the way yours did. Is Sprouted Wheat Flour not an acceptable substitute for AP/Bread Flour? Thanks.

31. Danita Day

Is there a reason you recommend kneading the dough by hand vs letting the mixer with the dough hook do the kneading?

If your dough seems dry, it probably means you’re adding too much flour to the dough. To ensure you’re using the right amount, we recommend either measuring your flour by weight using a scale, or fluffing and sprinkling the flour gently into your measuring cup one spoonful at a time before leveling off with a knife. Check out this video to show you how it’s done. It will help you measure light cups of flour that weigh about 4 1/4 ounces per cup. The dough should feel soft and slightly tacky to the touch. Hope that helps! Kye@KAF

32. Marcia

I do have to share a funny story. My husband saw me using dental floss to cut rolls and made such a face, horrified. I said “you do realize this is clean, unused, straight from the container dental floss don’t you”??? What in the world was he thinking, I was using “used” floss on food ??? YUK!

33. Angela

I just discovered your post. What great recipes and ideas you have. Excited to see what you have in the future. Thank you.

34. Danielle Durand

Can we prepare the buns ready to be baked, but freeze them instead? Like we can do for dinner buns? If so, please let me hnow how to proceed to bake them after they have been frozen.

Danielle, we’ve had best results freezing the baked buns and then re-heating, but you’re welcome to experiment with freezing unbaked buns. You’ll want to freeze them once they’re shaped, wrapped tightly in plastic. Let them thaw in the fridge overnight and then sit at room temperature for a few hours until they look puffy. Bake as directed in the recipe here. Good luck! Kye@KAF

Gail, this recipe isn’t suited to being made gluten-free. But don’t fret—you can still enjoy all the tasty flavors included in these buns. Try using our recipe to make a Gluten-Free Pizza instead. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

35. Judy

We like to use a light coating of spicy garlic olive oil on our pizza instead of red sauce. I suppose it would work well on this recipe too. These sound yummy. Can’t wait to try them.

36. Cathy Gwozdz

I love this idea! My grandchildren love pizza! I like the fact that they store well. I can see these going into many lunch bags! In the 70’s we would put sauce, cheese and then cooked ham on rolled out pizza or bread dough. Roll and bake! We didn’t cut them first but if I make them again I will! Yummy!

37. Marie Aguirre

I made these last week for my friends at work and they really enjoyed them. The pizza buns were nice and soft. When I said I made the dough that seemed to ratch up the comments – and it was so easy! I liked the combo of pepperoni and monterey jack cheese. Unfortunately I fell for temptation and added in more ingredients than less and yes they were messy to roll up. I also should have used floss to help slice the buns. A messy job for me, but a tasty treat for everyone. Looking forward to the next bakealong.

38. Vicky

Made mine with cheese, sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, black/green olives and mushrooms. I did dip the bottoms of each roll before baking into cornmeal to hold their shape. Delicious!

39. Sue

I made these last night for our supper. I bun was very soft and the finished product was very attractive. I warmed up some pizza sauce to add to the buns. My husband spooned sauce over his buns and I dipped my buns. I will say I was very disappointed with the buns. Guess I was expecting more of a pizza taste—only really getting bun taste. I understand you have to go light with the sauce so as not to have it dripping all over. Recipe did state to dip into additional sauce and you definitely need to do that. I may try again but will make a different filling with sausage, mozzarella cheese, eggs and basil that I use in another bread-type loaf that I make. Sorry these pizza buns were not a winner with me!!

Sorry to hear this buns weren’t a knockout on the first round, Sue, but we’re glad to hear you’re going to try it again with some tweaks. We think you’ll love the flavor of the dough with some Pizza Dough Flavor added to it (about 1 1/2 tablespoons). Add a combination of filling ingredients that make your mouth water, and consider sprinkling some herbs or Pizza Seasoning over the top for an additional flavor boost. Hope that helps with the next batch! Kye@KAF

40. Lauren

I would like to use my bread machine to make the dough. I have both Zo bread machines – a mini Zo and a regular Zo. For this recipe, could I mix in the mini Zo or will I need to get out my larger machine? Thank you.

The dough for this recipe will fit in your mini Zo if you’re just using it to mix and knead, Lauren. If you want to let it complete the first rise in the machine too, you might want to use the larger machine so it has room to expand fully. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

41. Sandi P

I made these this afternoon for the football game tonight. Half pepperoni and half cheese ~my guys ate em’ up. Now they’re in the kitchen looking for leftovers !
    Thanks KA ~

If you like cold pizza, then you’ll also love these pizza buns cold! We prefer warming them up slightly so they’re a bit more tender, but they’re still tasty at room temperature as well. Kye@KAF

42. Ann

I live in Germany and the flour grades are slightly different than in the USA. Generally I use 405 which is the closest to all purpose flour, but I know it does not work in an American bread machine. Would 405 flour work for these? Also, I am guessing that since we do not get pepperoni here, salami would work just as well. (Actually you do get pepperoni here, but they are thin, spicy light green peppers.)

Ann, we suggest use Type 550 if you’re able to get your hands on some. It’s closer to our Bread Flour, which will give you a nice rise. As for salami, you’re welcome to give it a go! Just chop it finely before sprinkling it onto the dough. Kye@KAF

43. Maggie M. from NJ

Really enjoyed making these pizza buns! The dough is really nice to work with and easy to roll out. Delicious.

44. Valerie Cranmer

I’ve recently moved to a location 4800′ above sea level (from 200′) and am currently cooking with a toaster oven! Should I even try to make these?

1. Susan Reid

Don’t despair, Valerie. A couple of hints for your altitude: cut the amount of yeast by 1/2 teaspoon. You’ll likely need extra water: anywhere between 2 and 4 tablespoons. Let your hands be the judge; the dough should be smooth and soft but not sticky. Once the dough is mixed, let it rise for 20 minutes at room temperature and then refrigerate it for the rest of its rise time (the cooler temps will slow down the yeast a bit and give you better flavor). Once the dough is shaped, the second rise is going to go quickly. Bake at slightly higher temperature (add 25 degrees) and cut the time for 10 to 15 minutes. Let us know how it goes. Susan

45. Judith Gosbee

Could this be made with pizza dough that does not have milk in it? My recipe uses water, salt, olive oil, sugar, and yeast. I really like the idea of the roll-up option but don’t know if it would work with other dough.

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Judith. The milk makes the dough a little more tender, and easier to shape. If you don’t want to use milk you could add some potato flour (equal amount) or instant mashed potato flakes instead; they’d have the same effect and be non-dairy at the same time. Susan

46. Fiona G

I’m thinking of making a Hawaiian version of this with BBQ sauce and sprinklings of leftover roasted chicken, pineapple, red onion, and cheese

47. Kris1938

Made this recipe yesterday, Oh my love it, but I used 3 kinds of flour, whole wheat, white whole wheat and white all purpose unbleached. Mixed it in my bread machine needed extra moisture in it. Drained chunky salsa, used the chunks, put on parmesan garlic powder, dried onion, fresh tomatoes, and pizza seasoning.2 kinds of cheese sharp smoked cheddar and a white stilton type, fried up some ring fry sausage and crumbled it. My husband thought he was just eating straight pizza. Said it was even good cold this morning for breakfast. Don’t have pictures but looked like the rolls you have on your sight.

48. Sarah

I made these and took them to work….my best audience and grateful taste testers!!! These were delicious and a HUGE hit. I warmed them up before serving…definitely a wise idea. The recipe was easy to follow…just the right amount of ingredients and a great treat to make on a dreary day! I think I might have to make these again and double the recipe. Thank you for another great recipe!

49. bent el deera

made it… loved it

I can’t find king arthur Bread flour here in Kuwait .. there is one store that sell your product as all- purpose and sometime white wholewheat flour 3 or 4 months a year so when ever I find it i buy it in bulk 😊

Thanks for joining this month’s #Bakealong challenge from afar! We don’t distribute any of our products internationally, but we can always ship individual consumer orders overseas. If you’re interested, you can read more about shipping rates and policies on the shipping section of our site. Mollie@KAF

Yes, you sure can Gloria. Active dry yeast typically takes about 25% longer than instant yeast to make dough rise, but you’re welcome to use it. You can add it right to the dry ingredients in the recipe; no need to add it to water (or “proof”) it first. Make sure the dough doubles in size before moving on. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Lucy, we recommend going by the feel and look of the dough rather than the time on the clock; the dough should be smooth, bouncy, and spring back to the touch. (This usually takes about 5-7 minutes when kneading by hand.) Happy baking! Kye@KAF

50. MaryJo

I made these last week and they are great. I sprinkled a little cheese on top of the rolls before I baked them. Next time I will add the cheese on top halfway through baking. They were a great hit and they freeze very well. I reheated them in the oven rather than the microwave only because I think reheating bread in a microwave can toughen the bread.

51. Becky

I teach a culinary high school class. They have 45 minute class periods. Any way we can make these over several days?
    Let dough rise in fridge. overnight. Shape dough and rolls on Day 2. Any way to speed rolls rise? or Would I bake late on Day 2. Then reheat and eat on Day 3?

Hi Becky- The two day process sounds right, and will give the students lots of hands on time for mixing and shaping. Laurie@KAF

52. Loretta

I made these buns three times, always a hit. The last time I made them mini size for my granddaughter ‘s nursery school. I rolled the dough into the 12 X 18 rectangle, cut the rectangle in half horizontally and made two smaller 18 inch rolls. Each roll was cut into 18, 1 inch pieces. They devoured them! Thanks for a great recipe.

53. debra stalsitz

The kids are loving these.

They want to take them to school for lunch.
    Can’t get a better recommendation than that!!!

My experience with the dental floss was okay.
    The individual rolls were hard for me to transfer without them falling apart.
    I am a scissors user, and cut the long roll into 4 pieces, picked up
    each part individually, held over cookie sheet, cut with scissors into 3 pizza rolls.
    They plopped into place!!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Debra, glad the kids are enjoying these. I agree, a pair of scissors is always handy to have around the kitchen, for uses such as you describe here — excellent solution to the “falling-apart conundrum!” Thanks for sharing — PJH

54. Miyagino

I made these for the Superbowl. I added crumbled sausage and onion (for my husband), and they were a hit! Fun recipe.

55. Myriam Giovannini

I MADE 2 RECIPES FOR A PARTY LAST SATURDAY, AND CUT THEM 1″ WIDE, USED MUNSTER CHEESE AND SALAMI FOR THE FILLING WITH THE TOMATOE SAUCE, THEY WERE DELICIOUS, AND SO SOFT! THEY DID NOT LAST MORE THAN 5 MINUTES,
    MANY ASKED FOR THE RECIPE.
    BIG HIT! LOVED IT…

Christine, we’d recommend popping them into the toaster or the oven for a quick warm-up. Like pizza, they can be eaten cool, but they benefit from a little toasting. Mollie@KAF

56. Mark

I made mine with Alfredo sauce, shredded fresh Mozzarella, shredded Cheddar, diced green pepper, diced onion, and minced Morning Star Farms Breakfast Strips. I cut the roll into slices with dental floss and baked them for 25 minutes at 350 degrees flowing the advice, “Don’t over-bake; better they’re soft and tender than tough and dry.” The rolls were soft and tender as advertised. I reheated one the next day by wrapping it in aluminum foil and placing it in my convection oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I think they came out quite well for a first try. I’m going to make more.

57. Rosemary

I have already made three times. The first time I made double, used the first one and freeze the second batch. My family love’s them the first time I made the pizza party buns. My daugther who is always picking at what she eats loves them. I used the frozen one after a month in the freezer. It came out ok after baking them. My family still loves them. Thanks so much.

58. Lenora

I like to bake for a group’s ‘bake sale’ and these would be marvelous; however, how long can they be unrefrigerated and still be safe to eat. This group does an all-night walk against cancer, and they have no means to keep things hot or cold. And they do it in the summer. Sigh.

Lenora, since the cheese and pepperoni in these buns are cooked, we tend to leave them at room temperature, stored in an air tight container. However, if you’re particularly worried about food safety with the hot summer temperatures, consider storing them in airtight container in a cooler to keep them fresh. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

59. Tracey

These look fantastic and I loved reading through the comments to see all the variations: pesto, buffalo chicken, etc.! This is exactly the kind of thing I like to have in the freezer for (quick) gratification when the mood strikes. If it’s not too much trouble, could you provide thorough freezing instructions? Do I freeze the uncut roll or cut the dough into slices before freezing? When ready to bake, do they need to be defrosted first (and if so, then where (fridge or counter) and for how long?) or can they bake from frozen? Do the baking instructions change (lower heat, longer time?) OR…do you recommend baking first and freezing the baked buns? Thanks so much! KAF recipes (and ingredients!) are consistently fabulous!

Hi Tracey,
      For best results, we recommend freezing the Pizza Party Buns after they’re baked. This will ensure the dough rises nicely and has a good texture. However, you’re welcome to experiment with freezing unbaked buns if you’d like. Try freezing them once they’re shaped and sliced, wrapped tightly in plastic. Let the buns thaw in the fridge overnight before baking, and then sit at room temperature for a few hours until they look puffy. Bake as directed in the recipe here. Good luck! Kye@KAF

60. Torie Ozonoff

These are similar to something my mother often made. She called hers ” sausage rolls”– but used a quick “cheaters” recipe. I give it here for those short on time or afraid of yeast doughs. It’s so simple I’d hardly call it a recipe– but it’s quick and easy.

For the filling my mother used cooked sausage– hot or sweet– removed from casing and lots of onions thinly sliced and cooked until soft but not brown. Being frugal, almost any meat was used– some leftover roast beef diced up, chopped meatballs or meatloaf, a mix of whatever was around. She bought some pizza dough at a local pizza shop and stretched it just as you did. The dough was topped with the meat/ onion mix, a hearty amount of cheese ( usually mozzarella and pecorino, but again almost anything that needed using up) she rolled it up, jelly roll style, left the roll whole but in a rough U shape. It was then baked until nice and golden and when done immediately wrapped in a clean linen towel. The wrapping kept the finished roll soft and easy to cut into slices. My mother’s version was an adaptation of a recipe handed down by my Italian grandmother– who baked bread daily in an old wood burning stove. I’ve used the ” cheaters version” and something more like your version– but never added sauce or cut into buns. I will say both versions are good, everyone likes them, and even the cheaters version tends to impress guests. ( I fancy- up my mother’s version some– an egg wash, more spices, etc). The nicest part is that small amounts of food that might be wasted can easily be converted into a family friendly meal or snack– basically it’s anything goes for filling, cheese holds the mix together, and no skill required. It’s not as good as something carefully planned and all made by hand, but still good.

I’d love to see more recipes that are adapted for those with limited time or skill– without giving up and ordering takeout or fast food. I find making interesting dishes based on great recipes, but using whatever’s at hand both a challenge and a money saver! We’ve just spent a year with very limited kitchen appliances– toaster oven, microwave, two burner portable induction cooktop ( waiting for a complete kitchen remodel) I’m a pretty decent cook— but it’s amazing what possible with limited resources. I should add– I hate wasting food! Wrapping almost anything in pizza dough ends up pretty tasty. Hope this long comment gives less experienced cooks/ bakers some ideas and confidence. Happy cooking!