Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies: new twist on an old favorite

I don’t know about you, but I never get tired of chocolate chip cookies. Soft or crunchy, warm from the oven or cold in a lunch bag — even from the supermarket cookie aisle, I confess — chocolate chip cookies are endlessly tempting. So when I read about these muffin pan chocolate chip cookies on Pinterest via Facebook, I just had to hustle down to the kitchen and make them.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Luckily, I have a box of our Essential Goodness Everyone’s Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix on hand. I don’t usually use mixes, but when I’m in a hurry (e.g., forgot about that bake sale), or simply feeling a bit lazy, I totally appreciate the ease of a mix. Especially this mix, which is really, really good.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I whip up the mix, and use a tablespoon scoop to scoop the dough into a lightly greased muffin pan.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I bake them until they’re browning around the edges, and take them out of the oven.

Now, this whole enterprise, from light-bulb moment to warm cookies, has taken less than 25 minutes — see what I mean about the ease of a mix?

Hmmm…should I use a thin spatula to edge each cookie out of its mini pan?

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Nope. I just flop the pan over onto my cutting board…

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

…and lift it off.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies!

They’re soft, moist, and a tiny bit cakey, since they rise higher (and, as noted, are more protected around the edge) than a typical chocolate chip cookie. If this is the style cookie you like, you’re going to LOVE this muffin pan iteration.

As I stand admiring the cookies, it strikes me they might solve one of my regular challenges: how to ship cookies to far-flung family and friends.

I really like packing cookies in a Pringles can, but have had issues making them the exact right size: a bit too much spread, and they don’t fit the mouth of the can.

Muffin Pan Chocolate Chip Cookies via @kingarthurflour

I’m happy to report that muffin pan chocolate chip cookies are the perfect size for a chip can: no squeezing, no trimming. Win-win!

Grab your favorite recipe and give these muffin pan cookies a try. Click To Tweet

Muffin pan chocolate chip cookies are perfect proof: there’s always a good (new) reason to bake an old favorite.

comments

1. Lori

If you happen to own a muffin top pan, this idea also works really well…. This type of cookie (because they are so consistently shaped) looks very pretty stacked in a cellophane gift bag and tied with a nice ribbon.

2. Lucy

The chip can idea is pure genius!
    For gooey cookie lovers who want to go even deeper than a muffin tin, Nigella Lawson has a recipe called Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pots where you bake cookie dough in ramekins. You get a cookie like top with molten cookie goo underneath. Seriously addictive!

3. Lu

Thank you for posting this method of baking cookies. It has become my favorite.
    I let the cookies cool almost completely before I take them out of the pan, using a silicone spatula.
    I use a Jumbo muffin pan, just the right size for the cookie monsters around here.
    Here is a flavor variation I came up with; Rum Raisin Oatmeal. Starting with your favorite oatmeal raisin cookie recipe; (I agree, mixes are great) re-hydrating the raisins takes the cookie up a notch in chew and flavor. This is what I did; In a small saucepan that has a lid. Put 1/2 c. water, 1/2 dark rum, 1 T. honey, 1/4 tsp. vanilla paste, mix well. Simmer for about 5 to 8 min., do not put a lid on the pan, the idea is to let the liquid reduce a bit, and burn off the alcohol. Remove from heat and stir in about 1/2 c. or whatever your recipe calls for of raisins. Put the lid on the pan and set aside while you ready the other ing. Stirring occasionally. Let them steep for about 10- 15 min. or longer would be ok. Drain them over a bowl and reserve the liquid and use it in the cookie dough if needed, it is full of flavor. Even when I use a cookie mix I put an extra 1/4 tsp. of vanilla paste in the dough. I stirred in the moist raisins at the end of mixing the dough so as not to smoosh up the raisins.
    I also made the recipe with chocolate chips but the rum raisin flavor was overpowered by the chocolate, I thought.
    Safety tip; don’t leave the rum liquid on the heat unattended.

4. Cast Iron Muffin Pan

Chocolate chip muffin is light & healthy breakfast. It can easily make in the kitchen. This is great idea for gifting to your loved ones.

5. Pam

These are really good cookies 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪
    I baked mine for 10-11 minutes…I did grease the muffin pan the first time with butter. I made some oatmeal cookies, baking them in the muffin pan and they were great also……what a clever idea ! Thanks

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Glad you’re enjoying cookies masquerading as mini-muffins, Pam — I am, too. Just made a batch of “cakey” chocolate chip cookies in the muffin pan Sunday… PJH

6. Kate

Also-can one just add rolled oats to any choc chip cookie mix to make them oatmeal choc chip cookies? Much like you’d add nuts? I see your oatmeal choc chip cookie recipe calls for 1 c of oats. Thank you.

Kate, oats soak up moisture in a way that nuts do not, so it could make the resulting cookies too dry. You may need to add an extra egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk to adjust for the added oats, and then allow the batter to rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before baking. Barb@KAF

Kate, you could certainly bake these cookies with silicone muffin pan cup liners, but I suspect they wouldn’t brown up quite as nicely and the baking time may be different. For best results I would bake them without the liners. Barb@KAF