Baking with sprouted wheat flour: creative takes

You love to bake. Your chocolate chip cookies are classic. Your pie crust is without peer. Your muffins? Magnificent. So why mess with a good thing by substituting a whole grain, like sprouted wheat, for your favorite all-purpose flour?

Because you need to get past your fear of whole grains. Or your resistance to change. Or simply your baking complacency. I mean, why NOT try an exciting new ingredient that delivers great taste, excellent texture, and added nutrition to boot?

Creative baking with sprouted wheat flour is a real eye-opener — a flavor revelation. Click To Tweet

We recently connected with bloggers around the country, asking them to come up with some personal-favorite recipes for baking with sprouted wheat flour.

The result? Well, keep reading and see. We know by the end of this post you’ll be adding sprouted wheat flour to your ingredient bucket list.

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Wheat Jalapeño Pretzel Braid w/ Skillet Queso, The Young Austinian

Says Katherine at The Young Austinian, “… I’ve decided to create a more grown-up, healthier, less microwaved version of my brother’s brilliant childhood invention. Soft, hot pretzels made with sprouted wheat and fresh, spicy jalapeños, served up for a crowd (or just one if you’re a teenage boy) and dipped in homemade, so-much-better-than-just-plain-ol’-melted-cheddar queso.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Grain Sourdough Bread, The Perfect Loaf

Says Maurizio at The Perfect Loaf, “This bread is a welcome shift from some of the heartier breads I’ve been baking lately. It has a subdued, gentle flavor profile and, according to King Arthur Flour’s sprouted wheat guide, the sprouted whole grain has high fiber content and it’s packed with added nutrition … I feel like this flour would be perfect in some of my other sourdough recipes, perhaps as a substitute directly for whole wheat flour (as in red whole wheat) or even half the total white flour in a formula.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Flour Pancakes with Vanilla Pear Compote, Two Red Bowls

Says Cynthia at Two Red Bowls, “…lo and behold, replacing half the flour in my favorite pancake recipe with sprouted wheat flour made for incredibly fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth pancakes that I swear might have been even softer and more tender than their regular counterparts, with a subtle sweet, nutty flavor. You could go with straight butter and maple syrup and call it a day, but a quick vanilla pear compote (that I’ve been putting on absolutely everything) and a dollop of Greek yogurt or mascarpone never hurt anything, and it definitely didn’t here.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Seedy Sandwich Bread, Alexandra’s Kitchen

Says Alexandra at Alexandra’s Kitchen, “For the past month or so, I’ve been baking the sandwich bread featured here using half King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour and half King Arthur Sprouted Wheat Flour. The loaves have been turning out beautifully, the crumb soft and light, the taste without a trace of bitterness.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Wheat Vanilla Chai Bars, Pastry Affair

Says Kristin at Pastry Affair, “Sprouted Wheat Vanilla Chai Bars are a sweet, spiced version of a blondie. The bars are moist and chewy due to the addition of brown sugar. Covered with a layer of butter and chai-spiced sugar, the crunchy top and dense interior provide a contrast in textures.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Homemade Sprouted Wheat Crackers, Real Mom Nutrition

Says Sally at Real Mom Nutrition, “The dough is made with just a few simple ingredients and is easy to roll out. Cut them to whatever shape and size you like, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt (or your favorite seasonings), and bake. They’re sturdy enough to dunk into hummus or spread with soft cheese. My family’s been munching on them all week.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Wheat Cheddar and Chive Scones, 100 Days of Real Food

Says Lisa at 100 Days of Real Food,“I used one of King Arthur’s recipes to test out the new sprouted wheat flour, and I have to say the results were sooo good. My kids kept trying to call them biscuits, but they liked them so much I literally had to cut them off so there’d be a few still around the next day! I served them with poached eggs and a salad for an easy weeknight dinner.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour via @kingarthurflour

Sprouted Wheat Flatbread, Nourished Kitchen

Says Jenny at Nourished Kitchen, “My husband and I had been looking for a good reliable flatbread recipe made with properly prepared grains – something that we could use to wrap up beans and chili-spiced meat when we make burritos, or one that can help us sop up fragrant curries. This is that recipe: It’s easy to make, requires few ingredients, and it’s incredibly versatile.”

Baking with sprouted wheat flour: it’s a change for the better.

Have you tried baking with sprouted wheat flour? How do you like it? Please share your thoughts (and recipe links) in comments, below.

comments

1. Jo

Great post except for one important item – what does this taste like? I’m open to trying something new but I need some idea how it tastes.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Jo, I just made some bread with sprouted wheat flour yesterday, and I LOVE the flavor. I’m not a huge whole wheat fan due to the potential bitter taste, but this flavor is mild and just kind of richly grainy, without any bitterness. It’s very nice – give it a try! PJH

2. Magster

I have made 6 loaves of bread with it. Absolutely delish. I mixed with KAF bread flour. It’s even good with 1 cup per loaf.

3. Lu

I highly recommend this flour. I made the Hamburger potato buns, mixing and kneading in the Z. mini bakery using, 1c. A.P., 1/2c. sprouted, 1/2c. bread, and 1/3c. potato, it was delicious. I am going to increase the sprouted next time switching the 1c. A.P. for sprouted. I like P.J.’s description of the flavor.

4. PJ Hamel, post author

Thanks for sharing here, Lu. Great idea, using sprouted wheat flour in soft burger buns; I’ll try that next time. PJH

2. JDBarber

Hi! What a great post. I am considering making a healthier bread for my husband and I. Wondering about your bread recipe that you spoke of in reply to comment above. Also, did you use a bread machine? Thanks

We’re glad to hear you’re intrigued! Try making this Sprouted Wheat Easy Rustic Bread if you want to really see this flour shine. It’s easy to prepare and you can use a bread machine to do the mixing/kneading if you like. Just be sure to follow the timeline described in the recipe, turning the machine off as necessary to let the dough rest when called for. You’ll get the best results if you shape the dough by hand and bake it in a loaf pan in your oven (after your bread machine has done all the hard work!). Happy baking! Kye@KAF

3. Kay

Ooh, chai bars and savory scones! Those look good. I’m not a huge whole wheat fan but I will give this a try. Always fun to experiment with new flours.

4. Monica

I made the Sprouted Wheat Vanilla Chai Bars several months ago. The flour worked beautifully, hard to tell about the flavor though, because I think the bars are too heavily spiced, and it turns out I’m not a fan of Chai! I’m thinking of trying them again with just cinnamon and finely diced crystallized ginger.

5. Merrilee

I love King Arthur Flour, and I’m really excited to try these sprouted wheat flour recipes! Thanks for the great and nutritious ideas, PJ!!

6. Melisa Smith

Great post! I’ve been loving this King Arthur sprouted wheat flour for my newest favorite sandwich bread recipe! I’ve developed a recipe using my sourdough and seeds that my husband and I really like. You can see it here: https://www.theglasspantry.com/single-post/2017/03/15/Soft-Sprouted-Wheat-Multigrain-Sourdough-Sandwich-Bread
    It makes fabulous toast and amazing grilled cheese sandwiches. The sprouted wheat adds a nice chewiness and the bread is soft with a light sweetness.
    I can’t wait to try it in my flatbread and bundt cake recipes!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Melisa, glad you’re enjoying the sprouted wheat flour; and thanks for sharing your recipe! PJH

7. Kathy

But does it have bits of sprouts in it? Is it like eating bread with seeds in it or is it just another kind of whole wheat flour?

1. MaryJane Robbins

Hi Kathy,
      The sprouted wheat is completely dried before it’s milled and it’s milled just as fine as our regular whole wheat flours, so no need to worry about bits and pieces. ~MJ

8. Luci York

Luci York – I did not see sprouted wheat in my most recent catalog. My small grocery store here in Kilmarnock carries only basic K.F. Flours – Help me out please. (Years ago in Northern Virginia, Pepperidge Farm had a Sprouted Wheat bread that was very good but had an unreliable shelf life – it would mold in the blink of an eye.)

9. Mary Wilber

Years ago I was told by a nutritionist that if your whole grain products have a bitter taste to them they are on the verge of turning rancid and should be discarded. To prolong the shelf life of any flours or grains especially in warm climates or humid climates keep your flour, grains, nuts and chocolates in the freezer. I wrap my bags of flour in a heavy duty plastic bags to save it from any moisture loss or bag condensation. Smaller bags I store in freezer zip lock bags. My nuts and chocolates I measure out in cup increments and food saver them for future recipes as I buy from wholesale warehouses. This has been a life saver since some things I do not use very often. I have had good results without any deterioration of my baking supplies and save wasting food and money. I have not added sprouted wheat flour to my baking repertoire yet as it is hard to find in my neck of the country. I was told that sprouted wheat flour is good to use if you have gluten sensitivities. Do you know if this is true?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Mary, this is very sound advice — thanks for sharing. We haven’t heard anything about sprouted wheat flour being easier on those with gluten sensitivity; but this is a question you’d want to ask a nutritionist or your doctor. Sorry I can’t offer more immediate help — PJH

10. Tammy

I have been using sprouted spelt flour for bread. Would like to see some recipes using this. I found a bread recipe using sprouted wheat flour but have to add wheat gluten for rising. Sprouted spelt flour is delicious has a different taste than regular spelt flour.

Hi Tammy, thanks for sharing your request to see more recipes using Sprouted Spelt Flour. While we do offer an Organic Spelt Flour (and delicious recipes to go along with it), we haven’t explored the sprouted version yet. I’ve shared your suggestion with our test kitchen team to consider going forward. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Carmen, I find the flavor milder and “sweeter” than white whole wheat; it’s grain-y, but not at all bitter or tannic as whole wheat can sometimes be. I think you’d like it. PJH

11. Irina

Is sprouted flour just another name for wheat malt or those two are completely different things?
    I substitute about 17% (100 g/ 585 g) of KA bread flour with the sprouted flour. Don’t know if I do it the right way but I use one half (50 g) of the sprouted flour in my biga and I add the other half along with the rest of the bread flour. I like the result but would appreciate any suggestion.

1. Susan Reid

Irina, the process begins the same way for both, but in the case of sprouted wheat flour, it’s much shorter. Whole wheat berries are soaked, then dried very shortly after they sprout. The sprouted berries are then ground to make flour. Malted wheat sprouts for a longer period of time, then is toasted slowly to create the distinct flavor you’re familiar with. The gluten in sprouted wheat flour is more fragile than in conventional wheat, so your addition of a bit of bread flour is a sound idea. I say carry on with your current practice, especially since you are enjoying the results! One more thing: malt as we know it is almost always made from barley grains, not from wheat. Susan

12. shirley

I came across your write up and love the many recipes presented using this splendid and healthy sprouted flour. I have been experimenting with sprouted bread after I bought several bags of this KA flour at the local market. Made 100% sprouted struan bread, 30% sprouted sourdough and 50% sprouted sourdough a few days ago. My experiment is continuing…everopensauce.com/pear-crostini-with-50-sprouted-wheat-sourdough-bread/

13. d

I do wish there were more recipes for this flour, or at least suggestions for substituting this flour for those of us who don’t like to fiddle with recipes without some minimal guidance. I bought a bag after reading the recipe for the seedy sandwich bread at one of my favorite cooking blogs, and I guess I’ll probably try the sourdough bread and some of the other breads with it, but I don’t see a lot of sweet recipes with it in it – which I understand, but would like if King Arthur recipes for cakes, cookies etc, made a note where it could be substituted appropriately for part or all of all purpose flour. I know the usual suggestion is half whole wheat/half white, so I guess I could use that proportion with the sprouted flour, but like I said, I’d rather not fiddle too much without suggestions.

Hi D, we understand what you’re looking for. The good news is we have a number of recipes (both sweet and savory) that use sprouted wheat flour. From spice cake to waffles to muffins to bars and more, check them all out here. As for general guidelines, you can use Sprouted Wheat Flour in any recipe that calls for whole wheat (white whole wheat or regular) without making other changes. If the recipe calls for all-purpose flour, you’re right: you’ll want to start by using half sprouted wheat flour before making larger substitutions. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

14. dewase

I have been using sprouted spelt flour for bread. Would like to see some recipes using this. I found a bread recipe using sprouted wheat flour but have to add roblox hack wheat gluten for rising. Sprouted spelt flour is delicious has a different taste than regular spelt flour.

Hi Dewase, we have a small collection of recipes that call for using Spelt Flour. While the flavor of this flour might be slightly different from the sprouted version, you should be able to at least use these recipes for a base. We hope this helps set you in the right direction, and happy baking! Kye@KAF

15. Leigh

Hey ! I tried the sprouted wheat flour yesterday as a 1/1 substitute in a simple loaf ( 4 c sprouted flour, 1 pkg yeast, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp sugar, 2 c lukewarm water). The dough was very wet. It tastes good, but is pretty crumbly. And I think I overproofed it. Next time I will presoak the flour, and use a little less water. I think it would work better with partial white flour, but worth it. Sure wish I could buy the sprouted flour in 5 lb. bags !

Hi Leigh, you’ve got some good ideas about how to go forward with your next loaf. Mixing the ingredients until a shaggy dough forms and then letting it rest for about 20 minutes before kneading can help with the rise. Also, using some white flour (especially bread flour) can give it a boost and improve the texture. You can also consider adding some Vital Wheat Gluten as well to give the dough additional support. Sprouted Wheat Flour will ferment faster than white flour, so watch it closely as it rises and air on the side of under-proofing it if you must. We think your next loaf is going to be even better! (And we’ve shared your request to see the Sprouted Wheat Flour in larger sizes with the right team to consider going forward.) Kye@KAF

16. Jenny

I love this flour! I have been using it in bread, rolls and pizza crust for months. I experimented using all sprouted wheat flour in this chocolate pan cake spoongood.com/2017/12/06/sprouted-wheat-chocolate-pan-cake/
    and my family gobbled it up! Thank you, KA. Now sprouted wheat flour has it’s own permanent space on my pantry shelf.