Don’t make this pancake mistake: a simple tip for fluffy, light pancakes

Some things are just better when they’re fluffy: pillows, clouds… and pancakes. Definitely pancakes. There’s nothing better than diving into a light, fluffy stack of pancakes. And the key to making pancakes lighter than air is easier than you think. Just don’t make the most common pancake mistake — over-mixing your pancake batter!

Avoid the most common pancake mistake and bake your fluffiest pancakes ever. Click To Tweet

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

Perfectly fluffy pancakes take just a few turns of the wrist.

Over-mixing is an ambitious baker’s enemy. Too much stirring can turn what would otherwise be lofty, tender pancakes into tough, flat disappointments.

Why is mixing your batter too much a fateful pancake mistake? The answer is twofold.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

#1: Deflating your batter

Vigorously stirring your batter might help break up some of the residual lumps, but it can also deflate air bubbles. Most pancake recipes have some sort of leavener in them (baking powder or baking soda), which starts to work as soon as it meets liquid.

The batter will begin to lighten and rise slightly once the liquid ingredients are added. Stir gently to maintain as much air in the batter as possible, mixing just until the ingredients are combined.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

Resist the urge to break up all the small lumps. They won’t show up in the finished pancakes. Breathe through it and put down your whisk or spoon. Your pancakes are going to be so much lighter because of this simple step — a satisfying reward!

#2: Developing gluten

Aside from deflating the batter, over-mixing is something to avoid for a second reason: it develops gluten.

Now gluten isn’t always something to run and hide from (unless you have an allergy of course, in which case you should head on over to our selection of gluten-free pancake recipes). Gluten is actually desirable in many cases. It gives bagels, pizza crust, and pretzels their signature chew. It helps loaves of bread maintain their structure as they bake.

But you don’t want chewy pancakes. (Do you?)

Gluten is formed when liquid is added to flour and it’s agitated (think mixing, kneading, etc.). As soon as liquid ingredients are added to the dry ingredients, each turn of the bowl will develop gluten.

Remember that gluten is not your friend if cushion-soft pancakes are your goal. You should relax, just like the batter. Tender pancakes will be the result.

How to measure mixing time

There’s a fine line between mixing just enough and too much — some small lumps are OK, but the ingredients should still be thoroughly combined. You shouldn’t see any dry or floury spots on the bottom or sides of the bowl.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

My grandmother used to tell me to “count my strokes” when stirring batter. Each time I made a full revolution in the bowl with my spoon or whisk, we’d count aloud to keep track of our progress. For brownies, I mixed the batter for a count of 50. For cakes, she’d tell me to stop at 25.

We didn’t make pancakes much, but I recently used my grandmother’s mixing method when making our Simply Perfect Pancakes. It didn’t take but a mere count of 10 strokes until the batter was just as it should be — barely mixed with just a few small lumps.

Does it really make a difference?

You might be wondering, is it really important to be this vigilant about stirring pancake batter?

I wondered, too. To see if over-stirring truly makes a difference, I mix up two batches of our Simply Perfect Pancakes.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

That’s a jumbo cookie scoop — a surprisingly helpful tool to use when portioning pancake batter.

I stir the first batch just until combined, counting about 10 strokes until it’s barely mixed. I pour the batter onto a hot griddle and watch the magic happen. (Truth be told, I have to resist the urge to eat the first pancake as soon as it’s ready, reminding myself this is part of a purposeful investigation.)

The second batch of pancakes doesn’t receive such gentle treatment. I add the milk and mix vigorously until the batter is silky smooth, about 2 minutes of stirring. The batter looks great, but the resulting pancakes? Not so much.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

The batter for the pancakes on the left was gently stirred, while the batter on the right was vigorously mixed for 2 minutes.

The pancakes from batter mixed for 2 minutes turn out notably flatter. It isn’t quite as enjoyable to cut into a stack of them with the side of my fork. They also have a bit of chew to them, while in comparison the first batch on the left is soft as a sponge. (A sponge for maple syrup, that is.)

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

The batter that was minimally mixed maintained its air bubbles (left), helping to make the pancakes fluffy and light.

It’s worth noting that the second batch still tastes delicious — they just aren’t quite the stack of fluffy pancake heaven I’ve come to expect from this recipe.

So circling back, is it essential to be mindful when mixing your pancake batter? If you want your pancakes to be tall and fluffy, then the answer is yes.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

Making perfect pancakes

It’s clear that mixing time is a key factor in determining the texture of your pancakes. Go forward into the weekend and whip up your best batch of pancakes ever, armed with this knowledge:

• For light and fluffy flapjacks, don’t mix too much.
  • For flatter, slightly more dense pancakes, mix away. (Hey, you never know — some people may prefer them a bit less tender.)

Baking with Ancient Grains via @kingarthurflour

Choosing your recipe

The world of perfect pancakes doesn’t stop with the one recipe we’ve used here. We have a full selection of other pancake recipes, including Blueberry Pancakes, Lemon Zephyr Pancakes, Multigrain Pancakes, and even Sourdough Pancakes.

Your perfect pancakes can even include ancient grains. The Complete Guide to Baking with Ancient Grains includes tips about how to use unique flours like amaranth, buckwheat, spelt (and more!) in your morning pancakes.

Don't make this pancake mistake via @kingarthurflour

No time to measure lots of ingredients? We’ve all been there on weekend mornings. Reach for our Cloud 9 Pancakes, my favorite mix in our Essential Goodness line.

Please share with us your best pancake-making tips in the comments, below.

Thanks to fellow employee-owner Seann Cram for taking the photographs for this blog.

Kye Ameden

Kye Ameden grew up in Fairlee, Vermont and has always had a love of food, farms, and family. After graduating from St. Lawrence University, she became an employee-owner at King Arthur Flour and is a proud member of the Digital Engagement Team.

comments

1. Monica

How did you know I was planning on making pancakes for dinner tonight???!!! We love “breakfast for supper”. I’ll be sure to be gentle with the batter.

1. Kye Ameden, post author

We had a feeling pancakes were on the menu! Now you’ll undoubtedly make the lightest, fluffiest pancakes your family has ever seen. Cheers to brinner! Kye@KAF

2. Amanda Holm

So helpful! I’m the type of baker/cook who hates to add fussiness or extra steps to achieve a subtle effect (tl;dr: the lazy type!), so it very much appeals to me to get a noticeable improvement by doing *less* work. 😀

1. Kye Ameden, post author

Sometimes less is more, Amanda! In this case, it’s the key to making fluffy pancakes. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

3. sandy

This is a really good post. The picture is so great it makes me want to make and eat pancakes right now. Here is another pancake mistake I remember a friend used to make. After she flipped the pancake on to the second side to cook, she would beat the top down with the flipper. Bang! Bang! Bang! Flatten out those pancakes. It did not do a lot for keeping them light and fluffy. I can still hear the sound of those poor pancakes getting flattened and every time I make pancake I remember that sound.

1. Kye Ameden, post author

I’ve come across a few pancake-flatteners myself, Sandy. I also cringe inside when I see the pancakes getting smushed into the griddle’s surface, but hey–some people like flat, slightly more dense pancakes. To each, their own! Kye@KAF

2. sandy

Yes I agree. Some people do like thin and dense, but the point of the post was light and fluffy ….

4. Nina Laight

My favorite recipe is your simple but perfect pancakes in your bakers companion cook book. I make these pancakes every school day!

5. Linda

Very helpful. Thank you. I’ve tried dozens of pancake recipes, searching for the fluffiest. Perhaps its been me all along!!

6. gil

i wholly believe your pan’s heat has to be perfect. and i have no idea what that is. i do know that i over mix all the time. but if my pan’s heat is just right, the pancakes come out PERFECT. i use BA’s recipe but use your AP Flour.

7. Torild

Kye,
    Excellent article! I have always believed in this method for mixing pancake batter though my husband has not. However, even he has heard your grandmothers advice and listened to me last weekend when he made gluten Free pancakes.
    Needless to say, they came out fluffy and delicious.
    Now I know the reason why this works.
    Thank you and keep up your great articles.
    Torild

1. Kye Ameden, post author

Thanks for reading, Torild! Sometimes it’s difficult to adhere to parental advice (even when it’s right!), as I’m sure you know. 🙂 I hope you treat yourself and your family to a batch of delightfully light and fluffy pancakes soon. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

8. LoisMate

My own secret for fluffy pancakes is to double the eggs in the recipe, separate the eggs, stir the yolks gently into the batter, then whip the whites, and fold them in gently just before cooking. I LOVE that result.

1. CamiSu

My husband would separate the eggs and beat the whites on many items. He had a Relleno Casserole recipe that he did that to, and after he died, my son and I continued to experiment until the Relleno Casserole became Relleno Souffle!

9. Joy

In addition to not over-mixing, let the batter rest for about five minutes before cooking them. This allows the baking soda to do its thing and makes your pancakes light and fluffy.

1. Kye Ameden, post author

You’re very right, Joy. This recipe actually calls for a 15 minute rest before making the pancakes so it can thicken and leaven slightly. Ultra fluffy pancakes don’t take much, but they do take some time to rest (while you relax!). Kye@KAF

10. Al F.

I wonder if one might omit the leavening, mix the batter, and then add the leavening folding it in and letting it work it’s magic for a few minutes, that it might not produce a nice fluffy pancake. I think I’m going to give that a try.

1. Kye Ameden, post author

While you’re welcome to give this is a shot, it’s probably going to produce tough pancakes. You will likely end up having to stir more in order to evenly distribute the leavener in the prepared batter than if it was mixed in with the dry ingredients. Lots of stirring when the wet and dry ingredients are mixed will develop gluten. In turn, gluten will make the pancakes tough. It’s easier to make sure the leavener is completely incorporated if you mix it with the flour before the wet ingredients are added—before you have to worry about developing gluten. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

11. Granny Susie

Thank you for writing and posting this wonderful article! I have preached against over mixing pancakes for years! Everyone thinks pancakes are easy, which I believe is part of the problem. Some young cooks believe that if they can make brownies, which they believe to be more complex than pancakes, pancakes should be a breeze. Not so, unless one wants pancakes with the same texture as a brownie! Fewer ingredients does not mean a recipe or method is simple, it simply means one must use more finesse and skill with that simple recipe, or face failure.

I am a recent convert to King Arthur Flour, which was recommended to me by one of my dearest friends. I have been a dedicated and prizewinning baker for over fifty years, and I believe King Arthur Flour to provide the most consistently milled, delicious and best products it has ever been my pleasure to work with. Thank you, King Arthur Flour, for being the best, and caring about your customers!

1. Kye Ameden, post author

Thanks for your kind note, and for baking with King Arthur Flour! It’s true that sometimes the simplest recipes can be some of the most difficult to master. In this case, less is more! Kye@KAF

12. Jerry Koz

A simple tip for fluffy pancakes is to use carbonated
    water or your favorite diet soda like vendors or 7up
    for your liquid. Use a little to blend mixture together
    then add the rest and gently stir in with a spatula.
    Let mixture rest for a few minutes and then enjoy
    making nice fluffy pancakes.

13. Carol Roberts

I just bought a cast iron griddle from the Lodge store. They also had a container for mixing/shaking pancake batter that has a spout for squeezing batter right into the pan. Do you know if shaking the batter but doing it for a shorter amount of time would keep pancakes fluffy. Or should I mix the batter in a separate bowl and transfer to the container to let it rest and pour from there?

I am excited to try this new technique with my new griddle!

Thanks!

1. Kye Ameden, post author

That’s a great question, Carol. We imagine that you’d have to shake the batter more vigorously to get the wet and dry ingredients to combine compared to gently folding the ingredients together. You’re welcome to give it a shot if you like; the pancakes will still be delicious. But if you’re looking to make super fluffy pancakes, it might be worth it to take the extra time to mix the batter separately. Either way, let the batter rest in the pancake bottle for 5-10 minutes before dispensing to allow some air bubbles to form and the batter to lighten. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

14. Elaine Beard

I love the King Arthur recipes. Living in Australia makes it difficult to use the products however. But want to let you know how much I appreciate your help.Wish I had your stuff tho.

ElAine

Michael, we recommend setting your griddle temperature to about 300-325°F and cooking the pancakes for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Happy pancake baking! Kye@KAF

15. Hector Buenafama

My recipe for fluffy pancakes don’t need to count the strokes, but call for adding the baking powder at the end of the stirring process, and the white of the eggs previously whipped, both added and mixed very softly. Regards. Hector.

16. Nichole Mayer

Oh my goodness! This makes so much sense. I make awful pancakes which makes everyone laugh and taunt me because I am generally regarded as the better of our family cooks. I whisk that batter as smooth as a baby’s bottom. Thanks for this blog, I needed it. You folks a e the best.

17. Elohor

WOW! i got the answer at last! i’ve always added more water thinking i don’t get the flour well measured out as i use volume ratio, the result has always been a mess. i gave up making pancakes. Now i know over mixing has been my mistake. Thanks so much.

18. CamiSu

Kye! Thanks for this. My husband’s pancakes did tend to be a bit dense (my dad referred to them as collision mats!) and now I know the reason. I also wanted to say Hi, as I thought that might be you -Ben Buster’s mum here.

Cami

1. Kye Ameden, post author

Hi Cami! So nice of you to write. It’s always a pleasure seeing friendly names pop up within the comment section here on Flourish. I hope that this tip of stirring just barely enough helps lighten up your next batch of would-be collision mats. 🙂 Happy reading and happy baking to you and your family! Kye@KAF

19. Sharon Christenson

These are the worst pancake mixes I purchased from you. Previously I have had yeast that didn’t work well as long as it should have in other products so I started replacing it with my own with much better results. As far as I am concerned I wasted 2 eggs, 2-1/4 cups of milk and 1/4 C of oil. Then tried another box and wasted 1 egg 1C milk & 2T oil ( I only made 1/2 a recipe) Never again. I would rather make my own and know they will be good, than spend money and ingredients for something inferior, Plus time and clean up for something that went in the garbage This is not typical of KAF.

Hi Sharon, we’re genuinely sorry to hear your disappointment with our Essential Goodness Pancake Mix. It’s our goal to have all of our products and ingredients deliver a superior baking experience, so we’d like to look into this further and make things right for you. We’re curious to hear more about what didn’t turn out so well with your pancakes (flavor? texture? appearance?) to see if we can provide some tips to make future batches of pancakes turn out better, and set you up with a replacement or refund for the mixes that didn’t turn out as you hoped. Please consider giving our friendly bakers on the hotline a call when you’re ready: 855-371-BAKE(2253). Kye@KAF