Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong: challenge #12

bakealong-logoWelcome to our July bakealong challenge. Each month, we’ll announce a new recipe for you to try, along with helpful tips and step-by-step instructions here on our blog. We invite you to bake this month’s recipe, Blueberry Hand Pies, then share a photo of your creation, tagging it #bakealong. Enjoy!

Have you ever baked a pie? I hope so! There’s nothing quite so brag-worthy (and delicious, of course) as a beautiful home-baked pie. But once you cut into it and start serving — well, with the perfect amount of thickening in the filling, and a bit of luck, you can cut Instagram-worthy slices. But one wrong move, and you have disaster on a plate. Enter the Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong, our July recipe challenge.

So what’s a hand pie? Think of it as a turnover with four sides. Rather than the traditional rectangle of classic pie crust pastry topped with filling and folded into a triangle (a.k.a. turnover), a hand pie has the filling tucked inside a square packet of pastry. It’s easy to pack and tote to a picnic or potluck, and looks pretty on a plate.

Our Blueberry Hand Pies feature a rich, easy-to-make crust, tender and flavorful thanks to both butter and sour cream.  Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

The filling is simplicity itself: blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice, with a bit of thickener. With fresh blueberries flooding the market right now, hand pies are the sweetest little single-serve dessert you could ever put together.

Fresh blueberries are at their peak: Take the Blueberry Hand Pies #bakealong challenge. Click To Tweet

Let’s do a step-by-step walk-through of this month’s Bakealong challenge. By the time we’re done, you’ll be ready to bake (and share) your own Blueberry Hand Pies.

Make the pastry

First, make the pastry. Gather these ingredients:

2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (16 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup cold sour cream

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Cut the cold butter into small cubes or thin pats. A baker’s bench knife is ideal for this task.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the butter.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Work the butter in, but leave most of it in large, pea-sized pieces. You’ll have a coarse, crumbly mixture.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflourv

Add the sour cream, and stir until the mixture starts to come together in chunks.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Turn it out onto a floured work surface

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour… and bring it together with a few quick kneads.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Pat the dough into a rough log. Roll it into an 8″ x 10″ rectangle. Dust both sides of the dough with flour, and starting with a shorter end, fold it in three like a business letter.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Give the dough a 90° turn on your work surface, and roll it again into an 8″ x 10″ rectangle. Fold it in three again.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for at least 30 minutes before using.

Make the filling

Gather the following ingredients:

2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 tablespoon Instant ClearJel*
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt (a large pinch)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

*For frozen berries, use 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 1/2 tablespoons ClearJel.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

If you’re using fresh berries, rinse and drain well. Place fresh or frozen berries in a saucepan. Whisk the cornstarch or ClearJel with the sugar, and pour over the berries. Add the salt and lemon juice, stirring to combine.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Place the saucepan on a burner set to medium-high heat and cook, stirring, until the small amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan comes to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.

Transfer the cooked berries to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. It’s fine to make the filling ahead of time, and refrigerate until you’re ready to use it.

Preheat the oven to 425°F; place a rack on the middle shelf. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Assemble the hand pies

Roll the dough into a 14″ x 14″ square. With a straight edge and pastry wheel, or a 3 1/2″ square cutter, cut out sixteen 3 1/2″ squares.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Divide the filling among eight of the squares, using about a heaping tablespoon for each; a slightly heaped tablespoon cookie scoop works well here.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Whisk 1 large egg until frothy. Brush some of the beaten egg along the edges of each filled square.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Use a knife to cut a vent into each of the remaining eight squares; or use a decorative cutter of your choice — stars are nice, especially at this time of year.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflourTop each filled square with a vented square, and press along the edges with the tines of a fork to seal.

Note: If at any time during assembly the pies become sticky and hard to work with, simply refrigerate them for about 20 minutes, until firm.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Brush the top of each pie with the remaining beaten egg …

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

… and sprinkle with sparkling sugar. The sugar’s a nice touch: it adds both flavor and crunch.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflourBake the pies for 18 to 20 minutes, until they’re a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven.

Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Let the pies cool for 20 minutes before serving.

Store pies, lightly wrapped, at room temperature for a couple of days; freeze for longer storage (if they last that long!).

Baking gluten-free?

We’ve got you covered! See our recipe for Gluten-Free Blueberry Hand Pies.

High-altitude adjustments

Do you bake at altitude? Check out our high-altitude baking tips.

Take the Blueberry Hand Pies Bakealong challenge!

Are you ready to take the challenge? Follow this post on your tablet or laptop, or print the recipe. And when you’re done, remember to post your photos, tagged #bakealong. We’re looking forward to seeing your beautiful hand pies!

comments

1. Ashley P

Made these beauties this morning! What an amazing dough – so flakey and tender! I used a 50/50 mix of blueberries and strawberries I had in the fridge, and they came out delicious. I will make this over and over again!

1. Rozanne

PJ, when a baking recipe calls for salt are you using table salt of kosher salt? I recently went to a baking class and the instructor said to always use kosher salt.

Our recipes are written for table salt, Rozanne, so if you want to use kosher salt instead, you’ll want to use a bit more — 1 heaping teaspoon for every teaspoon should do the trick. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

Margaret, other bakers have reported success using a food processor to mix this dough. If you choose to give this a try, take special care not to overdo it when you’re cutting in the butter, thus losing the desirable, large, pea-sized pieces or when adding the sour cream, resulting in a gummy, tough crust rather than a light and flaky one. Best of luck and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

2. MaryK

Can you suggest some non-fruit fillings, maybe something cinnamon sugary or chocolate? I love fruit fillings, but my family members don’t.

Mary, how about using the cinnamon/brown sugar filling in this recipe as a base filling? You could add a bit of chopped chocolate or nuts on top too. With a filling that’s not designed for this recipe, we’d also suggest sticking with slits for vents, rather than large cutouts. Hope this helps and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

3. Marjie

Made two batches of dough night of July 3rd, then got up early July 4th and made a double batch of filling, adding the zest of the lemon.

I made a 14-inch square out of parchment with the grid pencilled in. The pattern made the rolling and cutting more efficient for me. The grid allowed me to score the dough with a bench knife before cutting. (I know: fussy).

I cut my stars out of the tops, gave them a little spin, then glued them back on with egg wash, all before placing the entire top onto the blueberries. Still a little leaky, but overall fine. Next time I’ll just make the slits in the top.

I was really delighted to be able to present these at a Fourth of July party. Everyone loved them. Even heard “you MADE these?”.

1. Donna Lambert

I’d like to suggest that you draw your grid on the back of a larger piece of parchment.
      A pencil line will show through to the right side.

Yes Barb, feel free to use a non-dairy sour cream to make the pastry if you’d like. We’ve found that they tend to behave similarly in baking. You could even use a plain soy-based yogurt as well, if that’s easier for you to find. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

4. CC

Hi PJ! if I use frozen blueberries, do I need to thaw and drain them first? They might be too watery if not? Thank you!

Hi CC, if you’re using frozen berries, you don’t need to thaw and drain them first. Just rinse them under cold water to remove any ice chunks and drain briefly while you prepare the dough. For frozen berries, you’ll want to use slightly more thickener (2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1 1/2 tablespoons ClearJel) to compensate for the extra liquid that frozen berries will release. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

5. Jan S.

Any changes in the recipe if I use fresh peaches instead of blueberries? I would dice them up the size of blueberries, but they may be juicier. I would love to make several different hand pies with different fillings 🙂

You’re right that some fruits are juicier than others, Jan, so you may need to adjust the amount of thickener used up or down to compensate. Fortunately, our Pie Thickener Ingredient Guide is here to get you headed in the right direction. Hope it helps! Mollie@KAF

2. Beth

I just made a peach kuchen recipe that called for tossing the sliced peaches with a bit of sugar and letting them drain in a colander for 30 minutes before adding to the unbaked dough. I’m going to try this hand pie recipe using 1/2 peaches and 1/2 blueberries, stirring the drained, diced peaches into the cooked blueberry filling.

Hi May, we appreciate weight measurements too, which is why we’ve included the option to see ingredient measurements in volume, ounces or grams! To see them, just head over to the recipe page itself and click on the “grams” button just below “ingredients”. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

6. Bunny

I have leftover tapioca granules (as a thickener) from a cherry pie I made for July Fourth. Could that be substituted for the two tablespoons of cornstarch? If so, would it be an equal substitution, or is an adjustment needed?

King Arthur Flour is the best!

Quick-cooking tapioca does also work well as a thickener, Bunny. Like Instant ClearJel, it has more thickening power than cornstarch, so we’d recommend starting with the amount of ClearJel we recommend: 1 Tbsp. Mollie@KAF

7. Rebecca S

I also made a double batch for a July 4th picnic. I’ve been baking for 55 years and taught Home Ec. My son did not believe I made these little pies. He even said: ” Oh yah, you bought them frozen and baked them”.

Feel free to experiment with other fruit fillings, Susan, just keep in mind that some fruits are juicier than others and may require different amounts of thickener. We’d recommend consulting our Pie Thickener Ingredient Chart for guidance or using the filling from a peach pie recipe like this one as a base. Hope this helps and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

8. Wendy C

Could I use your pie enhancer instead of just corn starch?
    Love the recipe. Made the flag cobbler for the fourth, it was the hit of the party. Thank you!

We’re so glad we could help you craft a hit-worthy dish, Wendy! Since our Pie Filling Enhancer includes sugar and ascorbic acid, you’re going to want to use more of it than you would of corn starch or ClearJel, and you’ll also want to reduce the sugar used. It may take a little experimentation to get the amounts just right, but we’d start by using 2 Tbsp of Pie Filling Enhancer and reducing the sugar by 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. Best of luck and happy baking! Mollie@KAF

Sure, John, but we think you’ll be surprised at how easily and tastily this basic filling comes together. It can even be made ahead of time and refrigerated until you’re ready to use it, in case that makes it less daunting. Mollie@KAF

2. Kathleen Correira

I used strawberry preserves yesterday, and it was wonderful. I’m trying with apricot and raspberry preserves next.

9. Susan Champney

I made these lovely little hand pies today. First time with this kind of dough. It did get a bit sticky after rolling out. But i gave my husband one of the goofed up ones and he is still swooning! I seem to have a lot of filling left but that means i have to make another batch!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Glad you got through your sticky situation and persevered, Susan. When I make these, I usually have to stick the rolled-out dough in the fridge partway through, to firm things up. As for that extra filling – oatmeal, toast spread, yogurt, all good! PJH

The blueberry filling can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for 3-4 days before it’s used in the pastry. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

10. Eileen

I can’t use cornstarch (or anything with modified food starch since that’s usually cornstarch, too) due to allergies. What (and how much) other thickener would you suggest?

You can try using Arrowroot Powder, Eileen. You can just slightly more than the amount of cornstarch called for (try 2 1/2 tablespoons in this recipe), and it should thicken beautifully. (We don’t have this listed as an option because arrowroot is a little bit more difficult to find than cornstarch, but you should be able to order it online if your local grocery store doesn’t stock it.) Happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. Eileen

Thank you! I actually have a stock of Arrowroot, but the amounts aren’t always 1-to-1, so I will give that a try!

11. Joyce

Thank you! I just made these, I had apple pie filling that I had canned last year and a pint was the perfect amount. I didn’t have sour cream 😧 But I had heavy whipping cream plus a tablespoon of vinegar whipped it with my hand blender.
    I was so excited I measured 1 cup of my “sour cream” instead of 1/2 cup, but my flour was fresh ground wheat berries, I kept going when it was crumbling like the picture.
    This is a keeper!

12. durg perron

I made these july 6th, I used frozen blueberry & some fresh strawberries & I used some fresh lime juice & some instant clear jell, for the filling,,, the dough was the greatest, & very flakey, I have never made a pastry dough before & was a little on the worried side, but now I know I can do it,,,, but 8 of them is not near enough,,,Thank you for a real confidence builder!!!!

13. Jeanine/VT

I made these over the weekend. I used a 3 inch circle cutter and deceased the filling by a little. They come out perfect. The dough was very easy to work with. Thanks for a another great recipe.

14. Kim

Definitely making these once I get to the store to pick up some blueberries.

Sour cream is one of my favorite things. It’s an oft overlooked food superhero.

I’m guessing this dough shouldn’t be used for a regular pie crust, but I’m going to ask anyway 😉

Well, we won’t give you a hard no, Kim! Some well-known bakers actually pride themselves on using a rough-puff-pastry-like crust for their pies. It can get tricky when making particularly juicy pies, since it’s not especially sturdy, but rather light and flaky. If you have a pie filling that can be partially cooked before it’s added to the crust, you might want to give that a try first, and expect some serious puff action in the oven. We think you should give it a shot; you never know what you might like! Kye@KAF (P.S. Put a baking sheet under your experimental pie for good measure!)

15. Yojin

Hi,

Would it be okay to use whole wheat flour for this or would it seriously alter the crust structure?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

It would affect the crust structure to a degree, Yojin; it would be much harder to work with, more crumbly, though the finished crust should still be fairly tender. It would affect the flavor quite a bit, though. Whole wheat, especially red whole wheat, can have a very strong taste. If you like it, go for it; if you’re not sure or don’t know, you might want to try substituting whole wheat for half the all-purpose flour first, before you go 100%. Good luck — PJH

2. Claire

I had already made my basic pastry dough (using 1/2 all purpose KA and 1/2 KA white whole wheat) before I saw this recipe. It tasted good, but got soft quickly. Next time I’ll try popping it back in the guide as suggested. My family was happy with them.

16. Diana

Could you freeze the hand pies before you bake them and then bake as needed instead of all at one time?

17. Merry

Hello,

Id like to make these and then freeze to bake another day. How would I go about doing that? Do I make then freeze OR partially bake then freeze OR completely bake then freeze, thaw and refresh?

I have enjoyed all of the bake-a-long Challenges and haven’t found one I didn’t love. Thank you very much for the detailed information you always give with the challenge. I love your blog!

1. Susan Reid

Merry, these are best assembled and frozen raw, then baked fresh. Put them on the baking sheet to thaw partially while you preheat the oven. They may need an extra minute or two. Susan

18. Tom

I made these couple of days ago. They came out really good. Got great compliments from friends and family.

Is there a way to get rid of the “Let’s stay in touch!” with ENTER EMAIL on the bottom of the page? It’s really annoying.

Hi Tom, we’re glad you had great results with this month’s bakealong challenge. We appreciate you asking about that pop-up box, as we’d like to make your time on our website as enjoyable as possible. There should be a small check box that you can select that says, “I’ve already signed up,” which should prevent the box from appearing again. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

19. Jill Gurley

The results from this dough were really unexpected. When I opened the oven, it was as if I had worked with puff pastry. It was wonderful. I will be experimenting with other fruits as well. I loved that this filling was not too sweet.

Jill, your description of the dough is spot on. We like to call crust recipes like this “rough puff,” because they’re basically shortcut puff pastry dough. Thanks for baking along with us! Kye@KAF

20. Susan Smith

I have worked with butter doughs on many occasions, so imagine my surprise when my dough did not stick together! I used the amounts shown, and thought the sour cream might have enough moisture to pull all the dry ingredients together as a dough, but it did not. I ended up sprinkling about one tablespoon of water over the dry ingredients, and then gave it a knead. That worked! Also, I am a huge fan of cinnamon with blueberries, so I added about 3/4 teaspoon to my blueberry filling. I will definitely make this recipe again!

Good thinking to add a bit of moisture to make the dough come together, Susan. If it’s particularly dry outside or if you measure your flour by scooping it right from the bag instead of measuring or fluffing and sprinkling, there might have been a bit too much added to the dough. If you’re not weighing, you can also try measuring your flour like this next time to ensure just the right amount is added. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

21. Cathy

I wish I had time to start them right now, but I have to change hats in about 1/2 hour and become a taxi pick up service (aka pick up my son from a friend’s house). I read everyone’s comments and need to make these. Hopefully I can do it tonight. One question. If I make the dough tonight but can’t make them until tomorrow, should I leave the dough in room temperature for a while before starting to shape and fill them?

Hi Cathy, if you make the dough the night before you’d like to bake, keep it in the fridge and you can begin working with it practically right away. It might feel a little stiff initially, so a few minutes at room temperature to soften might help. Don’t let it sit for too long though; you want the dough to be very cold for maximum puff. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

22. Christine Olmstead

Yikes! In literally a half century of baking I have not struggled like this with a crust since I was in middle school. Normally I refrain from offering negative feedback because life is too short, and I usually blame myself for failures–but this? I honestly feel as though I should serve as a warning to others. I performed all steps as written. In my opinion this dough cannot be handled in a summer time kitchen of 81F. Even with repeated chilling, even with chilled tools and working at top speed… there is just too much butter and too little flour for baked goods in July in Arizona. The ordeal isn’t worth all that butter flavor. I will return to a simpler (use less shortening) crust. On the plus side, the filling was quick and easy to make, tasty, and I will do that again. I just felt you should know, this is for cold climate baking.

Hi Christine, we appreciate your honest feedback about the crust recipe, as it gives us a chance to improve the baking experiences others might have. This dough can be very difficult to bring together if the flour is measured by scooping the measuring cup right into the bag of flour, which compacts it into the cup. The end result is too much flour gets added and it make a very dry dough that refuses to come together. To ensure there’s a proper ratio of butter and sour cream to flour, we recommend either measuring your flour using a scale (1 cup weighs 4 1/4 ounces) or measuring it by fluffing and sprinkling it into the measuring cup, like this. If you’re feeling hopeful, you might want to try making it again using this technique and we think you’ll have a much easier time! Kye@KAF

23. Anita

I made these a few days ago and they’re wonderful! The pastry is truly amazing, so flavorful and flakey. I used apples, dicing them up and cooking them as if for a pie filling.
    Your directions are great, and I didn’t have a single leak.
    Thanks for this great recipe!

24. Lani S

This recipe is so great! I was nervous about how the crust would come out as I don’t have a lot of experience with my pie crusts coming out well, and I ended up handling it a LOT trying to roll it out to a 14×14″ square (SO HARD TO DO). But, despite all that handling, it was still light and flakey. Thank you so much for this!

25. Sharon B

Made these this afternoon. Don’t know why, but I expected them to be closer to my homemade pop tarts than they were (yeah, I know the recipe refers to them as “hand pies”). They are delicious, and amazingly easy to make. That is one flaky, flaky crust. I feel sure these will be happening again before the end of this month!

It’s true — these hand pies are a bit more tender and flaky than what we like to call “Toaster Tarts.” If you’d like to try making these at home too, you certainly can. We have a fabulous recipe for you here. You can even fill them with blueberry filling! Kye@KAF

26. Joan

I have NEVER been able to make pie crust. So thought I would give these a try I used raspberries oh my they are so good. 😊

Barb, the eggs help bind the gluten-free dough, which can otherwise be crumbly. We recommend including them for best results, if possible. If you’d like to include some sour cream, you can use 8 tablespoons (1 stick) of butter and add in 6 tablespoons of sour cream. It should add additional moistness as well as a pleasant tang. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

27. Lisa

I made these over the weekend and they turned out very nicely. However I ended up only with 6. I’ve never had good techniques with pie dough and obviously didn’t roll it out thin enough. They were very good though. They didn’t look like the picture exactly. Mine didn’t puff up as much. I’d like to try again sometime and maybe I can perfect my technique..

Lisa, you’re not the only baker who has struggled to get perfectly thin and even pie dough. Some tools that might help with this are either a pastry pin, which has raised edges to ensure even rolling, or Rolling Pin Rings, which basically transforms a regular rolling pin into a pastry pin. Check out their product pages for more details about how to use them to make the perfect pie dough. We hope that helps! Kye@KAF

28. Lisa S.

Love this recipe and especially the step-by-step pictures! The crust is so tender and flakey, and it makes the perfect single serving. I made my second batch today with my fresh-picked blueberries. I used my food processor to assemble the dough, and used plastic wrap underneath to help form it into a log. I always find it difficult to roll out dough into a large rectangle. I divided my chilled dough into 4 equal pieces. I rolled each section into a 7 x 7 square. This allowed me to keep the rest of the dough in the refrigerator, and it was easy to cut the large square into four 3 1/2 inch squares.

29. Janet

Delicious! And relatively easy. Mine didn’t quite puff as much though. I was working in really warm kitchen. Could that have been the culprit? Or overworking the dough?

Hi Janet, cold ingredients and a cold dough are key to making your puff pastry puff. If you find that at any time the dough becomes slightly sticky or hard to work with, put it back in the fridge for 15-20 minutes until it firms back up and is workable. Another reason why puff pastry sometimes doesn’t puff as much as you would have liked is because the butter is worked into the flour too much. Be sure you leave some visible chunks of butter, which will help create flaky pockets when it bakes. Last tip: make sure your oven is fully preheated and up to temperature. If it’s running low, the butter might melt out of the dough instead of creating steam and puffing up the layers. Keep things super cold and then super hot for best results. Kye@KAF

2. Richard

I think Kye@KAF meant to say “put it back in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes” . . . Not “oven.” 🙂

30. Reta

These look absolutely amazing! I definitely need to head out and grab some of your gluten free flour but I was curious if I would be able to substitute coconut or almond flour to this recipe. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi Reta, if you’re hoping to make a gluten-free version of this recipe, we encourage you to use this version here. You’re welcome to replace up to 25% of the flour with almond flour, without making other changes. If you exceed this amount, you’ll have textural problems and the crust will fall apart. If you’d like to include coconut flour instead, you can replace 25% of the flour with it, but you’ll need to add an equal amount of liquid to compensate for the high absorption rate of coconut flour. If you have questions, feel free to give our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE(2253). Kye@KAF

31. cathyf

I made the blueberry-peach cobbler http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/blueberry-peach-cobbler-recipe and the only container of plain yogurt that I could find was 24 ounces. So now I have 18 ounces of plain yogurt left– is it possible to use plain yogurt rather than sour cream in the crust for the hand pies? And I think that the peach/blueberry combination is nice, so I might switch in some peach for some of the blueberries…

Oh, and I want to repeat the advice about baking by weight rather than volume. It’s not only that you avoid all of the problems with having ingredients pack down too much or not enough and so you have fails with the wrong ingredient quantities. It’s way EASIER to measure with a scale, and you end up without all those extra dirty measuring cups and spoons. For once, the better results are with LESS work! Just plop the bowl on the scale, zero it, and pour in whatever you are measuring until the scale counts up to the desired weight. Just slow down your pour as you get towards the end. (I think of all the spoons I bent and time I wasted packing brown sugar…) A completely-adequate scale will cost ~$10 at Amazon, and it’s a life-changing device for a cook.

Thanks for sharing your perspective on baking by weight, Cathy – we agree on all fronts! And yes, go right ahead and use plain yogurt in place of the sour cream called for in the crust. Mollie@KAF

32. Cindy Brown

OH MY!! these are so crazy delicious! I made a double batch and the filling is more than enough for that. I could’ve filled them a little more, but was concerned about leakage, should not have been. At first I thought my dough was dry because it was not sticking together, but in the end it was perfect. I’m going to try to reheat some for friends and family tomorrow, do you think that would work out?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Absolutely, Cindy – reheating in the oven, a toaster oven, or even in a toaster (if you have one with a bagel slot) would be preferable to a microwave. Enjoy — pJH

33. Pat

When I baked these, after I had frozen them raw, they ended up swimming in a lake of melted butter. What might I have done to cause this to have happened?

Hi Tricia, another baker like yourself did just this same thing and left a recipe review describing the experience. One of our friendly and helpful bakers, Mollie, answered the review with these thoughts, which you might also find helpful: “We’d tend to agree that baking from a frozen state should help to avoid butter leakage like this, but sometimes it can have the opposite of the intended effect. As things bake from the outside in, the outside may begin to melt before the structure is set. A couple things you might try include turning your oven temp up to speed the process up a bit and/or baking one or two frozen hand pies alongside one or two lightly thawed hand pies. The latter option to give you a sense of whether or not freezing had anything to do with the melting. If we can help troubleshoot any further, feel free to give us a call at 855-371-BAKE. Otherwise, best of luck! Mollie@KAF” We encourage you to do just the same. Kindly, Kye@KAF

34. Christine Freeling

I made these on Sat and my son told me Mom you won’t like these you better give them to me. ( that means they taste good), Will make these again, and the filling was so easy to make.

35. Joanie

I was so excited to make these! I made both the pastry and the filling a couple of days ahead, and the day I was ready to bake them, I rolled and pre-cut the dough and popped the squares back in the fridge (all I had time for on my lunch break). Finished assembling them when I got home and popped them in the oven. Delicious!

My only issue was that my filling seemed to have separated and loosened up a bit from when I made it, I’m not sure what caused that, but I was able to salvage enough to fill the pies and no one complained. If the filling hadn’t been so loose, I’d have tried to put a smidge more in each.

Thanks for joining this month’s challenge, Joanie! While fruit pie filling initially sets as it cools, it is normal for it to start to breakdown over time. If you ever encounter this again in the future, you could try reheating it with a little additional cornstarch to bring it back together. Despite the loss of some filling, we’re happy to hear that these tasty treats were well enjoyed. Mollie@KAF

Kate, a light brushing of water will work just as well to add the little bit of moisture helpful in sealing your hand pies. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

36. Chuck

Made these last week. Made them again 4 days later after we finished the first batch. Wife and I are loving them over ice cream. The dough was easy and is going to used for lots of other things too. Posted a pic on Instagram – look for cbinsa. Thanks KAF!

Found ’em! They look seriously professional, Chuck — nicely done! We hope you’ll keep continue to share your bakes with us #kingarthurflour. Mollie@KAF

37. Michelle

The finished photo of these hand pies looks quite different from the steps. How can I make mine look puffed up like the finished photo?

Hi Michelle, we had a few different bakers bake the beautiful hand pies that were photographed for this post. It’s picture proof that different bakers produce different results, even when using the same recipe and ingredients. If you want your hand pies to be extra flaky, be sure all of your ingredients are very cold, and keep the dough cold as you work. Leave some of the chunks of butter visible and flatten them into leafs or flakes when incorporating them into the flour. Lastly, be sure your oven is fully pre-heated to ensure the best separation of layers and final texture. Good luck! Kye@KAF

38. Virginia

I’ve made these hand pies 3 times this month. Berry, Fresh Peach, and Fresh Strawberry. Each time, I received raves. The pastry puffs up beautifully and the are impressive to look at. I’ll be making these little beauties all year!

39. Ellen Donnelly

I made these this morning and they came out awesome! Giving to friends and family for dessert tonight.

40. Sande

Wondering if the lemon juice is from a lemon or can it be bottled lemon juice. If bottled would the measurement be the same, thank you.

We most often use fresh, Sande, but you could also use bottled lemon juice in the same amount. Happy baking! Mollie@KAF

41. Jennifer Bernath

All of the butter leaked out while in the oven. The oven was preheated properly but the dough was pretty sticky and warm when I put them in. I should have popped them in the fridge first shouldn’t I? Still delicious though!

We’re glad you were still able to enjoy the flavor, Jennifer! Yes, next time, if your dough gets too warm at any point, even once the pies are fully assembled, just pop them into the fridge to cool down before proceeding. Here’s hoping the next bake will be even more satisfying! Mollie@KAF

42. Cathy D

I did comment that I made these but no idea what I did or where my comment went.
    I had them over flow I tried very hard to make sure they had the right amount of mix. I was wondering if I cooked them a bit to long? Loving the bake alongs I have done a few of them with good results. These were a hit my husband loved them with his morning coffee.

We’re not sure what happened to the first comment either, Cathy, but we’re glad you sent a second! A number of things could cause the filling to ooze out, including something as simple as extra-large vents. If you’d like to puzzle this out with one of our bakers, we encourage you to give our free hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE. In the meantime, we hope you’ll consider joining us in August’s challenge too! Mollie@KAF

43. bakingchick

Well, I’m glad that so many bakers here love them. Unfortunately, I did not. I am an experienced (not professional) baker, but these simply didn’t do it for me. Our usual cool and somewhat damp summer weather became very warm and monsoonal this week, which no doubt was a factor in their over-wet texture and over-brown exteriors, even though I compensated for it–perhaps not enough.

The thing is that I realized these are remarkably similar to a mini jalousie recipe I often make with various seasonal fruits. Yes, I do “cheat” like most of us and use very high quality rolled puff pastry for those. I also use my own version of homemade rough puff pastry for all my pot pies. Perhaps part of my issue is that these seem far more like a turnover than a hand pie. The recipe makes it clear the dough is much shorter and more puffy than pie-y (I know, I know, not a word), but went ahead and tried it anyway. I froze half unbaked, pre-made and will be baking those us when our air is cooler and not 80% humidity. We’re used to high 60s to low 70s with 55%-60% humidity, but 80 and 80% is over the top for us.

However, this inspired me to get out my autumn King Arthur Apple Slab Pie recipe early and do a riff on pocket pies using that crust. It is more of a traditional pie crust and should come out beautifully in small format. I’ll wait on those for a weather change too. Though my hubby loves my jalousies and small pastries, he’s been aching for a pie of some kind. We’re empty nesters now and don’t go through a whole pie, so the KA slab pie in mini form might be just what will satisfy his craving.

I won’t be making these as-is again, but the concept has taken me in a good direction and what I baked yesterday is certainly edible. And I’m really glad to see so many people wowing friends and family with them. That is always a good thing.

Thanks for your honest feedback. We’re glad to hear that something good came out of the experience for you, even if the recipe itself didn’t prove to be a favorite. Mollie@KAF

44. linda VT

HI, made the hand pies twice(too much filling left over) First pasty was sour cream(needed a Tbs. more) and the second was with yogurt(still needed a bit more). Couldn’t tell the difference. As I have yogurt on hand and not sour cream, thought folks might want to know. Linda

45. susan

I made these in July and the pastry was delicious. I was wondering if this recipe for the crust would work as well for a regular pie.

Interesting question, Susan. After conferring with a couple of other bakers, our thought is that this pastry may be a little too light and delicate to hold up under the weight of a full pie. We’d suggest sticking with a slightly heartier, traditional pie crust instead. If you’re interested in trying a new one, here’s a link to one of our favorites. Mollie@KAF

46. Angela Gleason

I just made these for my hubbys bday. They turned out so terrific! Wonderful, my other pie recipes have not gone as well. Thanks so much KAF for making me a great baker.

47. Penny

Just made these this afternoon and shared with a neighbor, who also shares new recipes with us. They were a big hit — so good!

Next time, I’ll put them together and refrigerate before I turn the oven on. In a small
    kitchen with inadequate air conditioning, on a 96 degree very dry day, I had to keep putting the dough back in the fridge and waiting a bit. Made for an extra hour start to finish. Was worth it, though!

48. Peggy StMarie

I want to make the Blueberry hand pies #12 using mincemeat filling. Will I be able to freeze them and should I freeze before or after baking

We haven’t tried it with a mincemeat filling, but with the blueberry filling, we’ve found that they can be prepared through assembly and frozen for up to about a month with good results. We’ve also frozen the hand pies once they’ve been baked, cooled, and well-wrapped. If you give them a try with mincemeat, Peggy, we hope you’ll let us know how they come out. It’s a fun idea! Mollie@KAF

49. vicki

Made these wonderful handpies and everyone enjoyed. I would like to create these so the crust is like opening pictures. Mine turned out liked the tutorial pictures. Is there possible a different recipe or missing ingredient?
    Look forward to Decembers bakealong too.

Not a different recipe, Vicki, just two different bakers trying their hand at this recipe. We’ll need to hear more about the way your hand pies turned out and what exactly you’re trying to change with your next batch. (More layers, better browning, less filling spillage?) Consider giving our Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE(2253) so we can dive into this a bit deeper together. Kye@KAF