Bake for Good: Who will you bake for?

Who doesn’t need a little extra joy and kindness in their life? Sharing a homemade treat brings delight to the giver and receiver. We know this because we Bake for Good all the time at King Arthur Flour – and so do our customers. We love hearing stories of baking and giving. It’s simple, yet powerful, and always brings a smile.

If you’re unsure where to begin, here’s what you need to know to Bake for Good.

Bake for Good via @kingarthurflour

Step 1: Who will you bake for?

There are so many possibilities, so don’t let the “who” part slow you down. It’s OK to keep it casual – bring a batch of cookies to your daughter’s soccer game or drop off a loaf of banana bread for the new mom across the street.

Family and friends are an easy place to start. Surprise your mother with her favorite cake or bring brownies to your monthly book club. And kids adore yummy treats. Bonus points if they’re warm and gooey (and bonus points from parents if you use whole grains).

You can bake for your neighbors or co-workers. A baked treat may be especially appreciated if they’re new to the area, just had a baby, or are going through a rough patch.

Now that you’ve warmed up baking for your inner circle, you’re ready to branch out. Service providers are very deserving of unexpected treats – police officers, firefighters, librarians, mechanics, teachers, daycare providers, road crews, sanitation workers, or delivery people, just to name a few. These folks work hard in our communities day in and day out – maybe without many thanks.

Local hunger relief organizations, such as food pantries, homeless shelters, senior centers, churches, and synagogues often accept food donations. I know bread ranks in the top-five needs at my local food shelf. These organizations usually prefer sliced bread or rolls, since they’re easier to distribute and serve.

Bake for Good via @kingarthurflour

Step 2: Pledge to Bake for Good

Once you’ve picked a recipient (or two), head to our Bake for Good page and pledge to bake. By joining us, your baking makes an even bigger impact. King Arthur Flour will donate the cost of a meal to Feeding America for every pledge we receive. Already, we’ve received more than 35,000 pledges!

Bake for Good via @kingarthurflour

Step 3: Work out the logistics

It can be fun to surprise people you know, but in the case of hunger relief organizations or any other type of crisis center, you’ll want to call ahead to ask a few questions.

• Do they accept home-baked goods? Some community organizations may have policies against this practice.
  • Are there certain ingredients to avoid due to allergies or other considerations?
  • Any special requests? Maybe they want healthier items like sandwich bread, whole-grain muffins, or granola bars, or maybe they prefer single-serve cookies or bars.
  • When and where can you drop off?
  • Any other requirements? Many organizations request that you include a list of ingredients. This is a good practice even if it’s not required.

Bake for Good via @kingarthurflour

Step 4: Choose a recipe and bake

For me, this is where the fun really begins. I love flipping through recipes and thinking about what will bring the biggest smile to the person for whom I’m baking. For my kids, it’s Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies; for my mom, anything chocolate; for the food pantry, Everyday Whole Grain Bread or pizza; and for daycare, anything portable and neat. If you don’t already have a favorite recipe picked out, get inspired by some of our favorite shareable recipes.

It’s usually best to let your baked goods cool completely before packaging for delivery. Wrap securely so nothing spills or smushes and don’t forget to include the recipe or list of ingredients.

Bake for Good via @kingarthurflour

Step 5: Deliver and feel the love!

You’ve done the work, and hopefully had fun in the process. Now it’s time for the best part – giving it away! There’s nothing better than seeing faces light up when you deliver a homemade baked good.

Join the King Arthur community in pledging to Bake for Good.

#bakeforgood is easy: Pick a recipe. Bake with love. Share with someone you care about. Click To Tweet

comments

1. Reba Chamblee

I bake most Saturday’s for a small group to come share with me before we watch our Favorite Church Program “REJOICE IN THE LORD” 8;00 PM on Sunday Nights.

2. Suzanne R.

Thanks, King Arthur Flour, for the “Bake for Good” campaign! Sharing and supporting each other with kind words and a delicious treat – nothing better! Research is showing that generosity is hardwired in our brains, and that sharing is good for our health and makes us happier. A “win-win”, right? I know that baking is good for my soul – thinking about what I want to bake, getting the ingredients together and measured out, working with my hands – it’s a meditative process. Then I turn on the oven and open my kitchen window, and I bake. Tuesday mornings are my day to share at work – in the staff room, I leave a tray of something yummy (along with a big piece of paper and pens for comments – I’ve gotten some great suggestions!), and my co-workers can spend a few minutes chatting with each other and enjoying a treat with their morning coffee or tea. What a privilege to be able to share what I love doing with my family and community!

3. Shirley Brezzell

I love the “Bake for Good” campaign! My contribution was two classic pound cakes, a cream cheese pound cake and a pineapple pound cake. I made them for a dear friends family for dessert at the passing of one of their family members. The joy on their faces eating it, after a long and sorrowful day. There were left overs, so those went to my school, on a Monday morning. Teacher spirits were lifted as they had cake at lunchtime with a hot cup of tea or coffee. There is nothing like a gift of food, particularly a baked item, to show someone you care. I think “Bake For Good” is a wonderful campaign.

4. Paula Williams

While out of town, our neighbor picked up some mail that was left at our house for us. To thank them, I am baking cookies to surprise them for their thoughtfulness.

5. JoAnne Dougherty

I love to bake and do it quite often. I mostly bake for other people since there is only two of us at home now. So I bake for the youth group, my manager and her son from work. Sometimes I bake for the teachers where I work. The school custodian loves my peanut butter cookies so I made him and the youth group some peanut butter cookies.

6. Cynthia Zalewski

I pledged last week and delivered today. My co-worker, just home from the hospital after a brain aneurysm, LOVED the Caramel Apple Pecan Pie that I baked for her! Feels great to do something nice for someone! And thank you King Arthur Flour for all you’re doing!

7. Jennifer Copus

I bake cookies on a pretty regular basis for the nice young guys who cut my grass every week. I appreciate how hard they work and want to show them some love!

8. Lori Shankel

Thank you for doing this – I think it’s a great idea! Someone in need gets a meal, and then you get to donate baked goods to whoever you feel needs it, or as a thank you, etc. Genius!

9. Susan Baumgartner

I have baked daily for a long time..it’s how I start my day! The recipients of my goodies>>friends ..neighbors..teachers…unknowns! Brings a SMILE & such a simple act of kindness…It all comes back to me 10-fold…’It’s better to give than receive.’My ‘Maine Gramma’ was the perfect example….& she gave me the love of baking & sharing! This Holiday season I am selling pumpkin rolls & donating all proceeds to The Gathering Place…where anyone who has been affected by cancer is welcome…wonderful staff & many volunteers…I am a breast cancer survivor…

10. Mary Jefferson Rabon

Our church goes to the Mobile, AL downtown area to feed the homeless. I was feeling God drop it in my heart to feed the hungry as the Bible tells us. Well my teen daughter was the first to go with them and I found my niche as I started taking desserts 7 years ago. A gentlemen brings a few cakes too. I always felt I should use my baking to bless the needy. Well so thankful for my church, who also gives them plates to go, and now I can help provide the homeless with their favorite desserts such as Almond pound cake, cookies etc…..and yes…I receive much more than I’ve ever given! Thats how giving works! We all feel that way when we go downtown to feed them.

11. Elizabeth Palacin

I bake for my friend’s pumpkin scones with clotted cream on top. Got thr recipe from King Arthur’s site. They loved it.

12. Ken Surley

I have been told that police departments will not accept homemade food. They will throw it away due to the possibility that someone is trying to harm them. Firefighters/paramedics will accept them. Make sure you ask first.