Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls: buttery & golden brown

If you, or anyone you know, are gluten-free, then you probably can attest that passing up the bread basket at dinner and family gatherings is actually pretty hard. I know for me, that was one of the hardest things when I first went gluten-free.

I’d see everyone around the table tearing into their warm dinner rolls, spreading their slices of crusty bread with butter and here I am, sitting with an empty plate in front of me.

Well here’s what we say to that: “No more!”

Soft & buttery dinner rolls — made gluten-free! Pass the bread basket, please! Click To Tweet

Just because you’re gluten-free, or baking for someone who is, that doesn’t mean you can’t also enjoy soft, pillowy dinner rolls. So we’ve created just that: perfectly tender Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls that are sure to make your heart swoon.

These rolls are a lovely cross between a tender biscuit and a soft dinner roll. They’re simple to make, and can easily be scaled up for a crowd. And while they do have yeast in them and you need to let them rise, we promise they’re worth it.

And we’ll even venture to guess that everyone at the dinner table will be reaching for seconds!
How to make Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurflour

Gather your ingredients! You’ll need:

1 3/4 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 cup lukewarm milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons soft butter

We’ll start by placing the flour, instant yeast, salt, and xanthan gum in a mixing bowl, and whisking to combine. Set the bowl aside and move on to your wet ingredients.

How to make Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurflour

For the wet ingredients, using an electric mixer (hand mixer or stand), mix together the milk, eggs, and honey. How to make Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurflour

Beat in 1 cup of the flour mixture and 2 tablespoons soft butter.

Beat in the remaining dry ingredients. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, then beat at high speed for 3 minutes to make a smooth, thick batter.

Cover the bowl, and let the thick batter rise for 1 hour. It won’t appear to do much – that’s OK. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl, deflating the batter in the process.

Shaping the Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls

Grease an 8″ round pan, then grease a muffin scoop or large spoon with the melted butter, or with non-stick baking spray.

How to make Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurflourScoop the dough into the pan; a slightly overfilled muffin scoop works well here. Space seven mounds around the perimeter, and one in the middle. (For highest-rising rolls, do as I say — not as I did in this photo!)

Cover with greased plastic wrap, and set in a warm place to rise until the rolls touch each other and look puffy. This should take about 45 to 60 minutes. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.

Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurlfour

Time to bake!

Bake the rolls for 28 to 32 minutes, until they’re golden brown. Remove the rolls from the oven, let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn them out of the pan onto a rack. Serve warm.Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls via @kingarthurlfourSee our Gluten-Free Dinner Rolls recipe including a printable version. Happy baking!

Alyssa Rimmer

Alyssa grew up in Vermont, attended the University of Vermont and now lives in New York City, where she bakes and writes recipes for her blog Simply Quinoa. She’s been living gluten-free for over four years. Alyssa also authors her own food blog and enjoys ...

comments

1. Melanie

if you did this with buttermilk could you skip the xantham gum? I’m making GF biscuits for the holiday because my cousin is sensitive, but I don’t have use for xantham gum generally.

We wish we could say yes, Melanie, but xanthan gum fulfills a very different role than added acid – you might be thinking of cream of tartar, which is sometimes added to a recipe for pH balance. Xanthan gum, on the other hand, is a thickener, emulsifier, and stabilizer that improves the texture, “body,” and rise of gluten-free baked goods. You don’t want to leave it out here. It often comes in a small spice-sized jar, so maybe pick up a container and give the rest to your cousin as a party favor? Mollie@KAF

2. Susan

Hi! I’ve got a couple of questions. When I clicked on the recipe link, I saw Cake Enhancer on the list. I do have some on hand, but had already made the dough. What is the purpose of this ingredient in this recipe? And how do I store the rolls for Thanksgiving Day? I’ll be baking them today (two days in advance) and will be sneaking a baker’s test roll, so I’ll be storing 7 rolls. Thank you and I wish you all at KAF a Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi Susan, thanks for asking. You’re right that the recipe itself lists 1 tablespoon of Cake Enhancer as an optional ingredient. It can help make the dough softer, more tender, and also stay fresh for longer. We didn’t mention it in this blog post because we were hoping to make this recipe more approachable without calling for specialty ingredients. If you have the Cake Enhancer on hand, feel free to use it. It will only help improve the texture. Kye@KAF

3. Susan

Hi Kye – I actually followed along with the blog post and had my dough starting its first rise before I remembered the Cake Enhancer – I’ll add it next time. What about my second question – storing the baked rolls for two days? Thanks!

Ah, thanks for explaining! As for your question about storing the rolls for Thanksgiving day, you might want to consider freezing them. It might seem silly to freeze for just two days, but gluten-free breads are known to dry out quickly so it’s your best best to keep them fresh. Let them thaw at room temperature still in their wrapping for a few hours on Thursday morning, and then reheat in foil before serving. Gluten-free rolls are always best when served warm, so try to keep them warm right up until eating. Enjoy! Kye@KAF

1. Susan

Thank you, Kye! I had thought about freezing the rolls, but wasn’t sure. Thank you for your help! 🙂 Finally my rolls are done and both I (GF) and my husband (non-GF) shared one roll and we both agreed that it was delicious! Thanks again, KAF for creating another great recipe! Now, if only you could create a Measure For Measure pastry flour …

We appreciate your request, Susan, but we’ll also say that we’ve had success making some mighty fine pastry dough using our Measure for Measure Flour, so don’t write it off just yet. It’s great in quick puff pastry and pie dough; but we’ll pass along the request for something that could possibly be used in yeasted/laminated dough as well. Happy GF baking! Kye@KAF

4. Dotty

I want to make these dinner rolls for Thanksgiving but don’t have the King Arthur GF flour. I have several other gluten free flours that I’ve used successfully with other recipes. Can I use some of that flour?

We’re not able to speak to the quality or performance of other brands of gluten-free flour, but you’re welcome to give it a try if you like. You’ll be most likely to get success if you use a blend that has similar ingredients to our Gluten-Free Flour and has no xanthan gum added to it. You can check out the full list of ingredients in our flour blend. Good luck! Kye@KAF

5. Susan

The Spiced Eggnog Muffin Mix contains ingredients “partially produced with genetic engineering.” I believe that condition should be included in the product description so consumers may make an informed choice whether to purchase GMO food.

Hi Susan, we apologize for any disappointment you may have experienced. It sounds like you might have purchased this mix from us a while back. We’ve since updated our sourcing so that all of our mixes are made from ingredients that are sourced non-GMO. This is in line with our goals to provide the very best ingredients and high-quality products. We hope this is happy news to you and your fellow bakers! Kye@KAF

Hi Hilda, Measure for Measure is designed to work best in recipes that don’t call for yeast. If you’re hoping to make a loaf of gluten-free sandwich bread, consider using this recipe here for Gluten-Free Sandwich Bread. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

6. DanaM

I don’t have enough gluten free flour but I have brown and white rice flour. I about a 1/4 cup short of gluten free flour, can I substitute?

Dana, we wouldn’t normally recommend it because our Gluten-Free Flour more than just rice flour, but since that’s just 1/7th of the total amount of flour needed, you could probably get away with it. If you’re in a pinch, we’d say it’s worth a try to use a combo of brown and white rice flours. Best of luck! Mollie@KAF

Good question, Diana. Our Gluten-Free Flour is now referred to as just that — Gluten-Free Flour. It used to be called Gluten-Free Multi-Purpose Flour, so you may see it referred to as that (or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour), but the ingredient to use is here: Gluten-Free Flour. (This product doesn’t have any xanthan gum added to it, and it’s a basic blend of brown rice flour and other starches). Kye@KAF