Almond Galette: a final salute to the holidays

For us Americans, the weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year’s feel like one long celebration. Happily throwing dietary caution to the winds, we eat, drink, and make merry —while also busily ensuring that everyone around us has the best holiday ever: be it Christmas, Chanukah, or simply get-togethers with family and friends.

In many parts of the Christian world, the celebration of Christmas actually continues through the feast of the Epiphany on Jan. 6 — 12 days after Christmas. In Spain and Latin America, the day is celebrated with Roscón de Reyes (or Rosca de Reyes), Three Kings’ Cake. In New Orleans, Jan. 6 marks the start of Mardi Gras season, where King Cake is a colorful tradition.

But the Epiphany cake I’ve come to love the most? France’s Galette des Rois, an ultra-buttery, remarkably flaky pastry crust stuffed with almond filling.

Now truth be told, I’ve never thought of myself as particularly keen for almond flavor — and by that I mean not the nuttiness of toasted almonds, but the distinctive taste of almond extract. Sweet and strong, it’s characteristic of Italian amaretti cookies (or Almond Cloud Cookies), amaretto liqueur, and anything made with almond paste or marzipan: think classic Christmas stollen, for instance.

But in this particular cake — we call it King Arthur’s Almond Galette — the strong almond flavor of the filling is nicely tempered with almond flour, plus butter and eggs and sugar and vanilla. Aromatic rather than assertive, it’s a perfect complement to the buttery/flaky crust in which it’s baked.

OK, have I waxed poetic enough for you? Make this pastry and I promise you, almond lover or not, you’ll enjoy your very own epiphany around almond flavor.

Bonus: though it looks elegant (read: complicated), this confection is actually easy to throw together: easy as pie, in fact.

Here it is: Almond Galette, the easiest fancy pastry you'll ever bake. Bonus: it's decadently rich and delicious! Click To Tweet

How to make Almond Galette

Let’s start with the pastry crust:

1 1/2 cups (6 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup (16 tablespoons) cold butter
1/2 cup sour cream

Note: For a gluten-free version of this pastry, substitute our Measure for Measure flour for the all-purpose flour in both crust and filling. If you use Measure for Measure in this crust, add 2 tablespoons water to the dough along with the sour cream.

Whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder.How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Cut the cold butter into pats, and work it into the flour mixture until it’s unevenly crumbly, with larger bits of butter remaining intact.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Stir in the sour cream. The dough will be craggy but cohesive.

Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface, and bring it together, if necessary, with a few quick kneads.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Pat the dough into a rough square.

For flaky layers, fold and turn the dough

Now, here comes the simple technique that gives this crust its flaky layers.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

First, roll the dough into a rough 8″ x 10″ rectangle. Make sure the underside is sufficiently dusted with flour that you can move it around easily.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Starting with one of the shorter (8″) ends, fold the dough in thirds like a business letter.

Flip it over (so the open flap is on the bottom), and turn it 90°.

Roll the dough into an 8″ x 10″ rectangle again. Fold it in thirds again.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Wrap the dough in plastic, and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes (or overnight).

Prepare the filling

While the dough is chilling, make the filling. Here’s what you need:

2/3 cup (6 ounces) almond paste
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup (1 3/8 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup (1 3/4 ounces) almond flour or very finely ground whole almonds

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Beat the almond paste, butter, sugar, and salt until totally combined. Add the egg yolks and vanilla, and beat until well incorporated. Mix in the flours. The filling will be very stiff; use a bowl scraper to scrape it out of the mixing bowl.

When you’re ready to roll, start preheating your oven to 400°F.

Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line it with parchment.

Assemble the galette

Divide the chilled dough in half.

Roll the dough

Roll half the dough into a 10″ square. Notice how I didn’t exactly make a square here; that’s OK, and you’ll see why later on.

Cut a circle

Use a dinner plate or other round template to cut a 10″ circle. (My dinner plate was 9 1/2″; you can see how I cut the circle a bit larger than the plate.)

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Pick up the circle (it’s nice and sturdy), and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet.

Add the filling

Spread the filling over the circle, leaving a 1″ rim of pastry around the edge of the filling.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Beat together 1 large egg yolk and 1 teaspoon cold water. Brush some of this glaze onto the uncovered edge of the pastry.

Roll the other piece of pastry into an 11″ square. Cut an 11″ circle. (Save the scraps; you’ll be using them later.)

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflourAdd the top crust

Center the 11″ circle of dough over the filled bottom crust, and smooth it over the filling. Using a fork, press and crimp the edge of the galette to seal.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

This is starting to look pretty nice, eh?

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflourMake a design

Decorate the galette by using the back of a knife to trace a pattern on the surface; you’ll just barely cut into the surface without cutting all the way through. Poke a vent hole in the center, and four additional small slits at other random spots, hiding the slits in the pattern you’ve drawn.

How to Make Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Prepare the galette for baking

Brush the remaining glaze all over the galette.

Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Bake the almond galette

Bake the almond galette for 30 to 35 minutes, or until it’s golden. Don’t be afraid to let it become deeply browned; this slight caramelization gives the butter in the crust wonderful flavor.

Remove the galette from the oven, and let it cool right on the pan.

Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

See those layers? Amazing what a few folds and turns can do when you’re rolling out pastry crust.

Almond Galette via @kingarthurflour

Serve and enjoy

Serve the almond galette warm, or at room temperature. A small dollop of barely sweetened whipped cream, though absolutely untraditional, wouldn’t be amiss.

Baker’s treat!

Now, back to those scraps you trimmed when cutting the dough circles. If you’ve ever made a pie and trimmed its excess crust, you’ve probably sprinkled those scraps with cinnamon-sugar and baked them along with the pie for a really taste-tempting treat.

You can do the same thing with these galette dough scraps. I sprinkled some with cinnamon-sugar; others, I spread with jam and folded over on themselves. Yup, they definitely look messy; but oh, my, these “leftovers” are simply irresistible!

While this pastry celebrates Epiphany, there’s no reason you can’t make King Arthur’s Almond Galette at other times of the year — or come up with your own variation. I’m thinking almond galette would be the perfect summer dessert served with a side of sliced fresh peaches or raspberries. Or how about adding a thin layer of finely chopped bittersweet chocolate underneath the almond filling? What would your favorite version of almond galette look like? Share with us in comments, below.

comments

1. Shirley Gendreizig

Wowza! Made your GF adaption and it’s a resounding success–beautiful, flaky, and just the right amount of sweetness! In our dry climate, I had to add a bit more than 2 T. water to the crust. Would make again and would use this crust recipe for other GF pies. Thanks for your gluten free Measure for Measure flour.

1. Dixie

I adore Galette des Rois!! I had no idea they could work gluten-free and so I haven’t had one in years. As soon as my youngest stops nursing and I can have butter again, I am going to make this!! Thanks!

1. Kevin Donohue

Hi Dixie! I have not made GF puff paste (or demi-puff paste) but I recently did a test making two batches of puff paste, one with butter and one with Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks (I have not tried other brands) – and the vegan version puffed better than the butter one did! I did find that the vegan version browned more, but I’m not sure if that was the positioning in the oven or not. Also, the Earth Balance sticks are rather salty (at least to my taste) so you might want to reduce the salt in the recipe (I use unsalted butter when I bake so the butter adds no salt). I hope this is useful.

2. Frauke Facchini

Oh my, PJ, you keep me baking (and eating!). Thank you for the delicious recipes and perfect instructions!

3. Lynne

I’m so glad you showed how to make the crust. Mary Berry, on the Great British Bake Off Master Class made this using a store-bought dough.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

And Lynne, the crust is SO easy to do! One of those “How can this be so simple and still taste so good” occasions. Enjoy! PJH@KAF

2. Vivian

I made Mary Berry’s recipe for New Year’s day and it was really good and a lot easier. This one looks good too.

4. Sophie

One important detail — you should hide a ‘feve’ or large dry bean in the almond paste… the one lucky person who gets the feve in his/her slice is the king or queen for the day and wears a home made (if not store bought) crown!! 🙂

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Sophie, thanks — that is indeed the way to make this pastry truly Mardi Gras worthy! PJH@KAF

5. Peggy

This looks so wonderful, I can’t wait to make it. Wondering if a scoop of French vanilla ice cream might add a nice twist.
    Thank you, PJ, love your always-insightful blogs!

A scoop of vanilla ice cream might just be gilding the lily, Peggy, which we whole-heartedly encourage! A scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream will be the perfect way to complement this delicious dessert. Kye@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Almost Rob, though pithivier is filled with ground almonds/pastry cream, while this is filled with more of an almond paste/ground almonds/egg filling. Same crust, though. PJH@KAF

6. Debbie Terry

Going to do this next weekend for my dinner party, it looks scrumptious! I live in > 5000 feet, not sure I would need to make adjustments on the baking powder. Do you think it would be okay to make ahead up to the step of before glazing the top, store in fridge with plastic wrap, then glaze and bake night of?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Debbie, I suspect with that small amount of baking powder you won’t need to make any adjustments for altitude. And yes, just as you say: make up to the point of glazing, then refrigerate. Glaze and bake when you’re ready. Either that, or make the whole thing, and rewarm gently in a low oven before serving. PJH@KAF

Hi Wynn, due to the extensive size of our recipe library, we’re currently unable to research and provide nutritional information for all of our past recipes, including this one. We can understand your interest in those details, and extend our sincere apologies for any inconvenience. A resource you might consider exploring is free nutrition analysis calculators, which are made available online for general, non-medical use. Two such calculators we like are this one from Spark Recipes and this one from Verywell. We hope that helps, and happy baking! Kye@KAF

7. Barbara Tilley

Do you mean for the ground almonds to be natural or blanched? I buy only natural almonds, would rather skip the extra step.

8. Lorraine Fina Stevenski

I learned how to make almond paste and it is so much better and not so tooth aching sweet. Gotta try this recipe. Thanks KAF.

Hi Dolly, we’ve found that using a full-fat Greek yogurt works best if you’re going to replace sour cream in a recipe. Also be sure to use a plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Absolutely, Rose Ann. Just let it rest at room temperature, lightly covered. It’ll be fine. Enjoy — PJH@KAF

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Gina, it adds rich flavor, and helps tenderize the gluten in the flour, making a more tender crust. Good question! PJH@KAF P.S. Glad you found some almond paste…

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Anne, that’s a tough one, since the whole premise of this recipe — both filling texture and overall flavor — is almond. I did find a substitute for marzipan online that you might try:
      2/3 cup cornmeal, 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, 5 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon imitation almond extract, mixed together. Substitute this for the almond paste in the recipe, and proceed from there, adding the remaining ingredients and substituting 2 tablespoons additional cornmeal for the almond flour. Good luck! PJH@KAF

9. yanira buendia land

PJ,

This recipe is PERFECT!! I do like Mary Berry’s recipes too, but I think yours is better… dough is home made and easy to make. The only change I did was to lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees after 10 minutes. It was getting too brown too fast. Thank you for teaching me how to make it!!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Yanira, thanks so much for looping back and letting us know how you made out with this. And for sharing your success. Better than Mary Berry’s, indeed! Do use that same crust for turnovers, too — good luck going forward. PJH@KAF

10. Suzanne

I made this for 12th Night and it was indeed both beautiful and tasty BUT I found that the glazed kept it from poufing up.Today the NYTimes had Dorie Greenspan’s version in which she used puff pastry – a ton easier and faster- and in which she said NOT to glaze the top and especially not to let the glaze run down the sides or exactly what happened to mine would happen –no big pouf. “Brush a thin layer of the reserved yolk glaze over the top of the galette, avoiding the border (if glaze drips down the rim, the galette won’t rise).”

11. Robin Farabaugh

Made this yesterday for a post-12th night dinner. It is really really amazing. I had almond flour in the freezer that was a couple of years past its sell-by. After tasting the flour, added two drops of almond extract to the flour and it worked fine. The crusts, even carefully measured, didn’t quite match up; it didn’t seem to matter. Everyone raved about the galette’s phenomenal taste and texture, and refused to believe it wasn’t hard. The blog with pictures makes all the difference!

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Robin, I totally agree. You get a lot of bang for your effort buck with this pastry. The dough is super-simple to put together, the filling is easy, and assembly is a few basic steps. I’m definitely not waiting until 12th Night next year to make this again! Thanks for sharing your success here _ PJH@KAF

12. Beverly Moore

I made this for company and it was absolutely delicious!!! I was concerned that the dough would be difficult to work with…but it was easy to handle and rolled out like a dream. We ate it for breakfast with coffee and it was great. This will definitely make it into my “favorites” file. When I was at the end of the filling making process, I discovered that I didn’t have almonds or almond flour. I used macadamia nuts and they worked just fine. The taste was not anything but almond. Thanks for a great recipe.

13. Jani

I just finished this, and boy did it taste fantastic! My galette didn’t rise as much as I would have like, though. Could that possibly be because I mixed the pastry dough too much?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Janie, it doesn’t actually rise all that high; if you look at the side view photo above, you can see it’s not high-rising, maybe only 1″ to 1 1/4″. But if yours was shorter than that, next time make sure your butter is cold; and the dough itself is chilled before you roll it out. You could also try chilling the assembled galette for 30 minutes before baking; it’s the cold butter melting and creating steam that helps the galette rise. Good luck — PJH@KAF

14. Christine Nelson

Since we do not care for almond, could you use cherry or blueberry pie filling, or perhaps even apple pie filling with a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar, or are they not thick enough, and could possibly leak out?

You’re welcome to try, Christine, though you may have more success using a Humble Pie or our Rustic Peach Tart recipe as a guideline, as they’re designed to hold in delicious and juicy fruits. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

15. Lillian

I made this using the ounces for measurements and the recipe came out perfect. It was absolutely wonderful. I will make it again soon.Thank you King Arthur

16. Diane Perris

Just took this out of the oven and I’m pretty happy with it for my first attempt. I’m just starting to work with pastry dough/puff pastry and I’m realizing it takes practice to get dough to an even thickness when shaping and rolling, and to know what thickness is best for what is being baked.
    My galette’s bottom layer puffed about 3/4″ and the picture looks quite a bit thicker. I’m pretty sure I rolled the dough too think before I cut the circles, especially with the amount of dough I had left over (which I can’t wait to use tomorrow folded over home made jam as suggested). Next time I make this I will try to keep my rectangle and squares more even thickness, and be a bit more generous with the circles. I’m taking this one to a dinner party and I’m sure it will still taste delicious and be a big hit.