Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong: Challenge #20

bakealong-logo

Welcome to our April Bakealong challenge. Each month we’ve announced a new recipe for you to try, along with helpful tips and step-by-step instructions here on our blog. We invite you to bake this easy-yet-elegant, delectable Almond Puff Loaf, then share a photo of your creation, tagging it #bakealong. Enjoy!

I love this recipe. I love everything about it. Its flavor is a perfect balance of butter, toasted nuts, and fruity sweetness. And its texture? A tantalizing combination of flaky layers and airy pastry: think éclair shell and pie crust combined.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Which is, serendipitously, exactly what this Almond Puff Loaf is: a thin base of buttery pie crust topped with almond-scented pâte à choux. After baking to a golden puff that gradually settles as it cools, the pastry is topped with fruit preserves and garnished with toasted nuts and a drizzle of vanilla icing.

And the very best part of all? Not only is it delicious, it looks like you might have spent hours laboring over something akin to Danish pastry: laminating dough with layers of butter, folding, turning, rolling…

Perish the thought! Almond Puff Loaf doesn’t require a rolling pin, ruler, or special tools or techniques of any kind. A mixer is convenient, but your hands will do most of the simple work here. The hour this treat spends in the oven is the longest part of the process by far.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong: It's buttery. It's flaky. It's yummy. It's EASY. Bakealong today! Click To Tweet

OK, it’s delicious, it’s gorgeous, it’s easy — I think I’ve belabored the point enough! Let’s tackle this month’s Bakealong challenge.

Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a large baking sheet, or line it with parchment.

Start with the bottom layer

Gather your ingredients:

1 cup (4 1/4 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) cold butter*, cut into pats or 1/2″ cubes
1/4 cup ice water

*Reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon if you use salted butter.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Combine the flour and salt, then add the cold butter.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Work in the butter with a pastry blender or fork, your fingers, or a mixer; the mixture should be unevenly crumbly.

I always use my mixer to combine cold butter and flour, both here and when making pie crust; it does a fine job and is much easier on my wrists and hands.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Stir in the water. The dough will become cohesive, though not totally smooth (due to those random larger pieces of butter scattered throughout).

Divide the dough in half; if you’re using a scale (and I highly recommend weighing, both for accuracy and ease), each half will weigh about 5 1/8 ounces.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflourWet your hands, and shape each piece of dough into a rough log. Pat the logs into 10″ x 3″ rectangles on the sheet, leaving at least 4″ between them, and 2″ on each side. These puff up in the oven (hence the name), and you need to leave them room for expansion.

Make the top layer

Gather your ingredients:

1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (1/2 cup) butter*, cut into pats
3 large eggs, at room temperature; warm them, in the shell, in hot tap water for 10 minutes if they’re cold from the fridge
1 teaspoon almond extract

*Reduce the salt to 1/4 teaspoon if you use salted butter.

In a medium-sized saucepan, bring the water, salt, and butter to a boil. Make sure the butter is completely melted.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Add the flour all at once. Stir the mixture with a spoon or heatproof spatula until it thickens, begins to steam, and leaves the sides of the pan; this will happen very quickly.

Transfer the stiff batter to a mixing bowl, or the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat it at medium speed for 30 seconds to 1 minute, just to cool it down a bit; you want its temperature below 140°F. If you don’t have a thermometer, just stick your finger in it; it shouldn’t be uncomfortably hot, just lukewarm to warm.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflourAdd the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. At first, the batter will look a bit “slippery.”

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

By the time you’re done, it should be thick and smooth.

Mix in the almond extract.

Build the pastries

Divide the batter in half.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Portion half the batter onto one of the dough strips, half onto the other dough strip; if you have a scale, each half of batter will weigh about 9 1/2 to 10 ounces.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflourWorking on one dough strip at a time, use a spatula (or your wet fingers) to spread the batter until it completely covers the dough, including its edges. Smooth out the top as best you can.

Bake until golden

Bake the pastries for 50 to 65 minutes, or until they’re a deep golden brown. If you’ve used Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour, bake for the full 65 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare your toppings

Get the toppings ready while the pastries bake; you’re going to apply them as soon as the pastries come out of the oven.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

You’ll need 2/3 cup slivered or sliced almonds, toasted in a 350°F oven for about 7 to 10 minutes, or until they’re a light golden brown.

If you have a toaster oven, use it. If not, you can toast the nuts in your regular oven with the baking pastries. But try not to keep opening the oven door to check on the nuts; you don’t want to risk the pastries falling before they’re somewhat set.

You can also simply shake the nuts in an ungreased frying pan set over medium heat until they begin to turn golden. This is a little more labor intensive, but it works fine.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

You’ll also need 2/3 cup jam or preserves (about 7 ounces). I love apricot jam for this pastry; apricot and almond go wonderfully well together. But honestly, choose your own favorite flavor. For best results, use something that’s fairly smooth, without overly large pieces of intact fruit.

If the jam or preserves are very thick, warm briefly in the microwave or on the stovetop; this will make for easier spreading.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Remove the baked puffs from the oven.

Add the jam and nuts

Spread each warm pastry with about 1/3 cup of the jam.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Sprinkle the toasted almonds atop the jam; make sure you go to the very edge.

By this time, your beautifully puffed pastries are probably starting to sink; don’t worry, this is all part of the plan.

Transfer the pastries to a rack; this will help prevent their bottoms from becoming soggy. Allow them to cool completely before icing.

The finishing touch

Make the icing:

1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 to 2 teaspoons milk or water (approximately)

Mix the sugar, salt, and extract. Stir in 1 teaspoon milk or water. Test the icing: does it drizzle nicely off the tip of your spoon? If not, add more milk or water, tiny bit by tiny bit, until the icing is “drizzle-able.”

Drizzle the icing — artfully, if you can — atop the pastries.

Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong via @kingarthurflour

Pretty good, eh? Not too many big blobs of icing (a sure sign that I’d gotten bored and wasn’t paying attention).

Enjoy!

Cut into squares or strips to serve. Prepare for enthusiastic accolades.

While this pastry is best served the day it’s made, you can store it at room temperature, lightly tented with plastic wrap, for a day or so. It’ll gradually soften up as it sits.

High-altitude adjustments

Do you bake at altitude? Check out our high-altitude baking tips.

Make it whole wheat

Substitute our white whole wheat flour for all or part of the all-purpose flour in both the bottom and top layers of pastry. The more whole wheat you substitute (and yes, you can go right up to 100%), the less the loaves will puff. They’ll also taste “wheatier,” obviously. But if you’re a devoted whole-grain baker, go for it: you won’t be sorry.

Make it ahead

Make and bake the loaves, but don’t top them with the jam, nuts, or icing. Wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature for up to a couple of days; in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days, or in the freezer for a couple of weeks. If you’re freezing the loaves, wrap them airtight — preferably double-bagged.

Before serving, place the loaves on a baking sheet, tent with foil, and heat in a 350°F oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until they’re warmed through. If the loaves have been frozen, thaw them at room temperature before reheating. Top with jam and almonds. Allow to cool, then drizzle with icing and serve.

Baking gluten-free?

It’s easy: Simply substitute our Gluten-Free Measure for Measure Flour for the all-purpose flour in both the bottom and top layers.

Baking dairy-free?

You can definitely make this recipe! Substitute vegan butter for the butter in the pastry; and use water or a non-dairy milk (soy, almond, etc.) in the icing. Do you regularly bake dairy-free? See our dairy-free baking series.

Avoiding almonds?

Try topping the pastry with flaked or shredded toasted coconut in place of the toasted almonds. If almond extract bothers you, substitute vanilla extract.

Take the challenge!

Are you ready to take the Almond Puff Loaf Bakealong challenge? Follow this post on your tablet or laptop, or print the recipe. And when you’re done, remember to post your photos, tagged #bakealong. We’re looking forward to seeing your gorgeous puff loaves!

comments

1. Hilary

I’ve made a puffed pastry like this before, and the bottom layer was undercooked, while the top layer was cooked. Do you have any tips on avoiding a similar issue again?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Hilary, sounds like you might want to put the pan on a lower oven rack; this will get the bottom crust closer to the thermal mass of the oven bottom, which should help bake it more quickly/thoroughly. Hope this helps — PJH@KAF

2. chicook13

This looks delicious! I don’t care for almonds themselves but I like almond flavor…I’m thinking maybe a cherry jam/preserves on top and a drizzle of dark chocolate? I’m looking forward to making this! Hopefully I can come up with a good combo that’s a nice complement to the almond flavor in the pastry.

You had us at cherry jam! That sounds delightful, and we hope we get to see a picture of the finished puff loaves. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. Patty

I also thought about using cherry jam, but wasn’t clever enough to consider a chocolate drizzle. Great idea!

3. Araminty

You can also toast nuts in the microwave. I do them straight from the freezer, on a plate. Pecans take about 2 min.

1. Linda Lattanzio

Hi, how does a microwave ‘toast’ nuts? I’ve onlt toasted in a skillet or oven!

4. Bill Elliott

PJ Hamel, you’re my baking hero! This recipe and walk through, like all of yours, looks fantastic. Will be trying it this weekend.

1. Nancy Orr

Microwaves are attracted to fat, which nuts contain. That’s it in a nutshell, no pun intended.

5. Kathleen Fetters-Iossi

Hi!
    I have kind of a dumb question 🙂
    I have a couple of Silpats and tend to use them in most cases. But I’m wondering if there are times parchment would yield better results? Or does it matter in cases like this recipe?
    Thanks so much for your help in advance!
    Kathleen Iossi

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Kathleen, your Silpat sheet will be fine here. I wouldn’t use Silpat baking crusty bread or pizza on a baking stone; and sometimes I’m not really happy with cookies on silicone, as I feel they can dry out before their bottoms brown. But usually, parchment and silicone can be used pretty interchangeably. Good question — thanks for connecting with us here. PJH@KAF

6. Alicia

I have made this before, both regular and gluten free and it bakes up wonderfully. But I was wondering if the jam topping could be put between the layers as a filling instead, like the kringle pastries I used to have as a kid. Then drizzle the top with icing and chopped nuts after baking?

It’s certainly worth trying, Alicia! Our only concern would be that the jam may cause the bottom pastry layer to be on the soggy side rather than crisp, but either way, it will be very tasty. Annabelle@KAF

7. sandy

I want to try these (they look great) but since there is just the two of us, one pastry would need to be stored for later. I see the instructions for storing and reheating. But how well do they reheat? Or should I plan on making them when we have a few more people around to eat both pastries the day they are made?

Great question, Sandy. There are a few ways to go about this. One option is to simply cut the recipe in half and make one puff loaf. If you’d rather make a full recipe and save one for later, it will hold for a couple of days in the fridge or a few weeks in the freezer. Because you’re storing it without the jam or almonds, it’s easy to tent it in foil and reheat when you’re ready to serve. You may find that the finished loaf isn’t as light and fluffy as the one you ate the day you baked, but it will still have great flavor. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

8. Elaine

Would like to try with an almond paste filling like a bear claw. Would it work to slip a thin layer of the mix of almond paste, a bit of flour,some sugar and egg white for binder between bottom and top layers?

It isn’t something we’ve tested, Elaine, but it’s certainly worth experimenting with! You may find the finished pastry layer on the bottom isn’t quite as crisp, but the flavor will be wonderful. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

9. Stephanie Harralson

If you wanted to use a cream cheese mixture instead of the jam, do you think it would still turn out well?

Go for it, Stephanie! Definitely let the cream cheese come to room temperature so it will spread easily on the hot puff. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

10. Jo-Ann

May I use EnerG egg replacer, wondering if it will work. I’ve made Pecan Pie with this egg replacer.

That isn’t something we’ve tried with this recipe, Jo-Ann. Our gut feeling is that the top layer won’t lend itself well to an egg-substitute. You are more than welcome to experiment with it, and let us know how it turns out. Annabelle@KAF

Definitely, Arlene. You may choose to skip the almond extract in the puff itself, that way it won’t compete with your savory toppings. Let us know how it turns out! Annabelle@KAF

Certainly, Peggy. Almond flour can be used for up to 25% of the flour in a non-yeasted recipe. You could incorporate it into your first layer, second layer, or both. You may find the finished result to be heavier, but it will have lovely moisture and flavor. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

11. Chris

This procedure sounds a lot like the Kringle recipe, 2 types of dough, topping and drizzle. Already sounds like a winner, can’t wait to try it.

12. Melanie

PJ, what about a cheese topping like a cheese danish? If you think it would work do you have a recipe recommendation for the cheese part? Can’t wait to try this with or without the cheese!

If you go with the blintz recipe, Claire, aim to add the cheese filling when there are about 15 minutes left of baking time. If you go with the cream cheese filling from the Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll, you would add that after they’re done baking and are still warm. Happy baking! Annabelle@KAF

13. Nancy

I made 6 of these for Easter to take to church for breakfast. By the time I got to the sixth I was a pro. Made different variations. Things I learned along the way: Do NOT add too much water to the first dough or it will not be flaky. Also, if you cut into the finished product while warm the first dough will appear to be undercooked, let cool completely, then cut. Lastly, I baked them for an additional 10 minutes. I Love KAF! Use your recipes all the time. First time I’ve posted, but after making so many, thought I’d share.

14. Rita

Made this recipe this morning, very easy to make. I topped it with Saskatoon jam.
    My family has devoured all but one small piece. Ice cream or whipped cream are great with it as well.

15. phyllis

would love to make this. but just me here. so i’m thinking i would want to halve this. how do i proceed with the 3 eggs?

No problem, Phyllis. Just go with 2 eggs, and you won’t have to make any other substitutions or changes. Annabelle@KAF

2. Sandra

You might consider making both and taking the extra loaf to a neighbor or your local fire station. I occasionally take bread to my local fire station and they gladly receive it.

16. Sondra Hodgkinson

How about using metric measurements for those folks outside the US. It would be most appreciated. This recipe looks delicious

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Sondra, you’ll find metric measurements in the recipe — simply toggle to grams at the top of the list of ingredients. Happy baking! PJH@KAF

2. KareninStLouis

@SondraHodgkinson The toggle is not evident on this post/screen. Go up to the top of this post where Almond Puff Loaf is highlighted in that orangey color. It links to the actual full recipe without the step-by-step which is so generously shared on this post. When you go to the full recipe post, there are options at the top that allow you to choose whether you want to see the recipe in cups, ounces, or grams, depending on which one you highlight. ( I think all KAF recipes have these choices.) I’m in the US, but I use grams for baking. More accurate.

17. polinium

PJ, thanks for the suggestion to use the mixer. I rely on my mixer and processor to let me make pastry and bread doughs.
    I feel so lucky to have them, as they’ve Nader it possible for me to continue to bake despite severe joint pain and damage.
    I look froward to making this tomorrow to share with friends in the afternoon.

18. Elisabeth Schaefer

I just retired and now starting to bake which is something I have never done before. This recipe sounds so good and fairly simple I want to try it. Since I am just starting out, all I have is a hand-help mixer. Can I use that or would it be better to use my hands? Also, if this turns out well for me, I would love to share it with my sister who is living in another state. So this means I would have to mail it to her. Do you think that would work if I double wrapped it? Thanks for your help.

Not to worry, Elisabeth- a hand mixer will be just fine for making both the bottom and top layer of this pastry. Just be sure to look for visual cues (compare your dough to the photos in this blog post) to make sure you’re mixing the dough the right amount. Your puff loaves are going to look fantastic! Kye@KAF

19. Christine Hall

I have made this many times but as my son didn’t care for almonds, I put mini chocolate chips on the bottom layer and then spread the top layer on. After baking, I drizzle with almond glaze. Chocolate-Almond is a great combo and makes it a family favorite!

20. Madeline Phillips

I have not yet tried this recipe but will tomorrow as I have all the ingredients on hand. After reading the comments, questions and answers, I feel confident the recipe will turn out well.

Thank you.

21. Gisela Beutner

It looks delicious, so I tried. I need to confess right here, that I am a bread baker; yeast and sourdough no problem to me. I topped it with rhubarb-strawberry preserve. The pastry tasted good but here is my problem: it did not puff-and I did not open the door of my oven. The top layer got a little bigger, but the whole thing did not get really tender. I baked for 1 hour at the the recommended 350 F, but part of the inside looked still like “5 minutes more would have been better”. My question: how do I get the batter to puff?

Hi Gisela, we’d be happy to troubleshoot your puff loaves, but we’ll need a bit more information about your ingredients and method. (Any ingredient substitutions, how you measured your ingredients, how the ingredients were mixed, etc.) Consider giving our friendly Baker’s Hotline a call at 855-371-BAKE(2253) so you can talk through these possible pitfalls with one of our experienced bakers. We’ll make sure your next batch puffs to perfection. Kye@KAF

22. Pam

The recipe for the almond puff loaf looks absolutely delicious and I would love to make it for some of my friends who are diabetic, I know there are sugar free jams/jellies that can be used for the spread, but would Stevia (or similar products) be a good replacement for the confectioners’ sugar in the finishing drizzle touches? — 🙂

We didn’t test this recipe using a sugar replacer, but you’re more than welcome to give it a try following the substitution instructions on the package of the sugar alternative. Using a sugar-free jam is a great way to reduce the total amount of sugar in this recipe, and we think it will still taste delicious. Good luck, and happy baking! Kye@KAF

2. Lee & Rober Stradley

Swerve makes a sugar free confectionary sugar-substitute. We use it all the time in baking cookies and toppings. TBS for TBS substitution. Good luck.

23. Moni

A fabulously easy and fabulously tasty treat! I can’t seem to make enough of this for my family to enjoy. Three times in as many days! I have used pear jam, blueberry and apricot. All delicious.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

I’m in 100% agreement, Moni. I’m not surprised you’ve made this easy/delicious/AWESOME treat three times in three days! 🙂 PJH@KAF

24. MaryLouise

Y’all are probably not old enough to remember this far back but Betty Crocker had a set of recipe cards “The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library” in 1971-73 and this was one of the recipes. It was a favorite each time I prepared it. There was no jam in their version just the drizzle with the sliced almonds but the rest was the same. I really like the idea of the jam and I love most of King Arthur recipes. Thanks so much.

1. Julie

I am old enough — and I collected the cards in my recipe library box.
      What a nice memory. thanks.

25. Mark B

Has anyone tried freezing an UNBAKED pastry – before adding any toppings? I have a feeling this recipe might be a good freezer-to-oven candidate. Imagine Sunday morning fresh from the oven with minimal active time!!!! Just sayin’ 😉

1. Susan Reid

Hi, Mark. The base can certainly be frozen with no problem, but there’s no way you can pipe pate a choux and freeze it raw, then expect it to give you any lift in the oven. Freezing the raw dough will create ice crystals that will expand and destroy the structure you’ve just created that’s designed to capture steam. If you’re interested in a get-ahead setup for this, I’d recommend setting up the base, covering and refrigerating. You could make the pate a choux, put it in a pastry bag, and hold that in the refrigerator overnight. Make the glaze and toast the almonds ahead of time. The next day, while the oven is preheating, put the pastry bag in a gallon zip top bag and put the whole business in a bowl of warm water to make it easier to pipe. Once the oven is hot, pipe the pate a choux and bake as the recipe directs. From there, it’s a simple matter to use the rest of your advance prep to finish things off once the pastry comes out of the oven. Susan

26. Vickie

This sounds like a great recipe! Instead of the sweet though, I’m going to try it with some ham and cheese with some sauteed broccoli. I think it’d be great as a main dish. Anyway, what I wondering about is, after you’ve melted the butter do you remove it from the heat before you add the flour? I would think so, but, ….? Just want to be sure. Thanks.

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Vickie, we were discussing savory versions the other day; cheese sauce drizzled on top figured prominently in all of them! Good luck with your ham and broccoli puff. If you mean do you take the boiling water/butter off the heat before adding the flour, no, you don’t. You add the flour all at once and stir-stir-stir until it forms a ball. THEN you take it off the heat and transfer it to a mixing bowl. Good luck! PJH@KAF

Feel free to lower or remove the salt, Candice. You’ll notice a blander flavor and it may not brown quite as well, but if you have any sodium-free substitutes that would at least help with flavor. Annabelle@KAF

27. Eileen

So easy and so good! I didn’t have almonds so I used a combination of walnuts and pecans. I also used a sugar free jam since that’s what I had. This was loved by everyone who had a piece.

28. Genevieve Wertz

Comments only:
    Why would you only want to make one when you can make two and give one away!
    Always, Always, Always consider CHOCOLATE!
    Cardamom Granola and coconut would be lovely Gooseberries! Mixed berries
    Ooohhhhhh the possibilities!
    Savory version …Pate and mushrooms? Cheese and mushrooms? Oh My!
    Thank you for sharing King Arthur Flour. I am a Pro Start culinary teacher from New Mexico and my Baking and Pastry students have made a few of the recipes in the bake alongs. We will be doing more of them next year. Wonderful things…

29. Tod Hicks

I just made these – they look great but They didn’t really collapse that much. I like the top color (medium honey) and the bottoms seem perfect. Did they potentially go too long in the oven? Regardless I am sure the flavor is unaffected- I was just going for the look in the photo.

It sounds like you made a super puffy Almond Puff Loaf, Tod, which is a fantastic “problem” to have. However, if you’d like your loaves to sink a bit and look more like the recipe photo, try removing them from the oven about 3 to 5 minutes sooner next time. This will ensure the top layer of pastry is still soft and malleable, and it should sink slightly once it comes out of the oven. Good luck, and happy baking! Kye@KAF

30. Satoko

A friend of mine just became vegan and the vegan butter is easily replaceable but what about the egg? Is there a way to make pate choux paste without egg? Would that essentially just become a churro? haha

Did someone say Churro Puff Loaves?! That sounds interesting and delicious! We think you’re right to expect a slightly different texture if you replace the eggs in your pastries. We often recommend replacing the eggs with golden flax meal like this, but this might not be successful in choux pastry. Instead, you might want to experiment with using commercial egg replacers that are available at the grocery store, like Ener-G or Follow Your Heart Vegan Eggs. This might result in a puffier puff loaf, which is what you’re looking for. Vegan butter should work beautifully in this recipe. We’ll keep our fingers crossed for you — good luck! Kye@KAF

31. Jessica

Made this recipe last week and they were wonderful! Could you divide the doughs into fourths or even eighths and make little pastries, like danishes? How would you adjust cooking time? Thanks!!

Hi Jessica, we’re heard from a few other creative bakers who have done just that: made personal-sized Almond Puff Loaves! You can adjust the baking time accordingly, noting that smaller pastries will take less time to bake through. Check early and often, adding additional time as necessary until your pastries are golden brown and beautiful. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

32. Karie

I might be compelled to add some almond paste to the top layer batter…. Any thoughts?! It does look delicious!

We’ve heard from some bakers who have tried adding a thin layer of almond paste between the two layers of pastry. We think that might be a more effective way to incorporate this ingredient into your puff loaves, as it will be distinct and flavorful. Or if you’re looking for a more subtle addition of almond flavor, try mixing 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond paste into the choux pastry once it comes together, noting that it won’t puff quite as readily using this variation. Either way, it’ll be delicious. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

Lemon curd is typically a bit looser than jam; so your puff loaves might be slightly messier but potentially more delicious! Top with either storebought or homemade lemon curd shortly before enjoying. (The pastries may become soggy if the curd is added well in advance of serving.) Happy baking! Kye@KAF

33. sta

second time I baked this, , and I added a filling between the two layers, I made a cheese cream layer, with just a bit of sugar and egg yolk spread that on the first layer and covered with the second, and was really delicious. I also baked about 5 minutes longer to maker sure all was done and crispy on the bottom, enjoy

34. Peggy

Can’t wait to try this recipe. We don’t care for slivered almonds, and would prefer to use medium ground pecans. Would I use the same amount of pecans? Love KAFand have made many of their recipes. Ya can’t go wrong, ever!!!

Hi Peggy, if you’re using ground pecans, we recommend sprinkling them on top of the jam layer liberally until you have the desired amount. You’ll be better off if you use your baking instincts here rather than measuring out a specific quantity. You may find that about 1/4 cup of pecans per puff loaf is about right, but feel free to adjust to taste. Happy baking! Kye@KAF

35. Ruth Yarbrough

I have been baking these for years, but have never put jam on them. I have iced mine with chocolate and vanilla icing, sprinkle chopped pecans and put cherry pieces on top. Great for Christmas gifts. I will absolutely try with the jam, very soon. These are easy to make but look very time consuming. Give them a try. you will be glad you did! We call them “Danish Puff” Thank you KAF for your great recipes and products!

36. Julie

I made this last week and it was delicious! I was wondering if it would be possible to make a chocolate version? Would adding coco powder to the dough have any negative effect?

1. PJ Hamel, post author

Interesting thought, Julie. Haven’t tested so no guarantees, but I’d try replacing maybe 3 tablespoons of the flour in each of the two pastry layers with cocoa powder and see what happens. Let us know! PJH@KAF

37. Anton

I’ve never tried to make this sort of pastry and was tempted by the lack of rolling. (My least favorite kitchen activity to be honest.) It came together so easily I was half afraid I’d made a terrible error. But the loaves are super puffy and delicious!! I used black currant jam since it was already in the pantry and the sweet tart flavor is so nice with the almond. Will definitely be making this again.